Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wonder...

Options
  • 16-12-2007 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭

If there was an experiment or test done where by believers & athiests moved to an island to breed their offspring and there was absolutely no discussion of religion or any god or worship and there were no churches or symbols of religion do you think any of the next generations would ever 'find' or believe in any sort of a god.

I know some people will say 'Well it happened before' but it was a dfferent age where comimunication was nothing like it is today and if you make a bizzare statement these days you have to be able to prove it and back it up to be taken seriously. I know there have been some newer religions like sciencetology or whatever it's called but everyone else from other religions gives this less respect than older religions as they know it's not possibly true where as because these older religions are from another age with less communication and accuracy in recording information it is harder to question and add the fact that it's fairly ambigious information recorded on it, it can be modified to be interperted another way to keep up with today's acceptable practices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I blame farming. We spread or minds forward through time collectively so the hunter gatherers sigils on the cave walls that affected little grew to whole communities praying to the sun god (or other deitys they might think effect the natural order) relying on a single crop when they can do little about the outcome. Given a desperate idleness any community will develop God(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Due to the all pervasive nature of religion in our societies, to make the experiment effective communications would need to be taken back to the levels which existed when humans first felt the need to put there fortune in the hands of some unknowable entity. As its happened before it would be inevitable it would happen again. Communication and knowledge are the tools that allow us to free ourselves of religion so removing them will most likely reverse the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

eoin5 wrote: »
    Given a desperate idleness any community will develop God(s).

I disagree, given desperate idleness they will develop Atheism :) However if you give them desperate hardship and short brutish lives they'll come up with Gods pretty damn fast. However if you give the guinea pigs slash and burn agriculture not only will they come up with a sun God, they'll provide a class of bone idle bastard to tell you all about Him.

Advertisement