Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this .223 ammo dodgy?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I was just trying a few different ammunition brands and all were shooting at different elevations due to bullet weights (50-63 grain) and velocities but the windage and grouping was bang on.
    Then I fired a few rounds of Barnaul 55g FMJ, it printed like a shotgun at 100 yards, I just couldn't get the bugger to group. I let the rifle cool and reshot the stuff again and then some of my normal fodder, the same results.
    My stuff shot and the Barnaul didn't :confused:.
    Is this stuff muck or do you think my rifle just doesn't like it.
    Everything else grouped between a 1/2" to touching group".
    I'm using a Savage 10 FLP, 1:9 twist with a 24" barrel.
    Anybody come across this issue?
    Ta,
    Slug

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've never heard of that brand of .223 ammo, and I don't use FMJ but I would think your rifle simply doesn't like it. What size were the groups with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

johngalway wrote: »
    I've never heard of that brand of .223 ammo, and I don't use FMJ but I would think your rifle simply doesn't like it. What size were the groups with it?

never heard of it. Rifle doesn't like it, wouldn't worry, rifles chambered in 223 can be very choosy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

what ammo does your rifle group with best at the moment ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You answered your own question..the ammo is no good for your rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Barnaul is ropey russian stuff, IIRC. Probably not the best to expect results with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What 63gr ammo have you tried? I've found it very hard to find anything heavier then 55gr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

think I got 63 or 64 grain remington Match stuff in Athlone, Ballykeernan sports, also you should be able get 75 grain hornady stuff fairly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Hi,
    Thanks for all the replies, I feel the consensus is that it's either ropey or my rifle doesn’t like it or both.
    I can just about keep them in the scoring part of a standard 50 meter .22 target at 100 meters, so that’s about 3.5"-4" from round to round, it's also all over the place.
    The 64 grain soft point ammo was Federal Power Shok, a bit tough for fox's I would suspect as I think it's meant for small deer like animals. Might just zip straight thought a fox.
    The best round I've found in my gun for accuracy is the 55 grain Vmax, it also vaporizes everything small it hits :D
    Cheers,
    Slug

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The soft point should do a got bit of deforming and energy transfer on a fox Slug.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Woops, just cheked out my Vmax round, I'm using a 60 grain not a 55 as stated. Part number #22281. I'm going to do a bit of ballistic testing on them over the Christmas, I want to check out their terminal deformation against SP bullets, I have a feeling that they are shattering with poor penetration. They crony at 16 fps standard deviation across a 10 shot string at 3052fps average. Basically they are the same round as Hornady's TAP part number #83278 just a little bit slower (63fps)
    Cheers,
    Slug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

millitary surplus ammo doesnt shoot great in lots of 223 s but remember
    if you are using heavy bullet in a 223 you need a rifle with a faster than normal twist to stabilise them...

Advertisement