Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cult Heroes

• 16-12-2007 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

I seem to remember a season or two ago that Football Focus did a feature every week on Cult Heroes, picking one from each team and honouring them. I think most English and Scottish teams were covered.

So from your experiences both at games and on tv who is your Cult Hero from your club and your era, whether it be English, eL, international? It doesn't have to be the 'best' player. Just someone adored by the fans and who gave them reason to show up on a freezing cold Wednesday night for a league cup replay.

Manchester City - Georgiou Kinkladze

Greatest player I've seen in a blue shirt and gave me something to be proud of during those awful years in the mid 90s. Sit back and enjoy.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,345 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

For me going to the actual games, it has to be the 7 years of Henrik Larsson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I think for me it has to be Zola, the man was fantastic and a true servent to his club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

David Ginola when he signed for Newcastle back in 95. His first few months at the club were unreal, the most naturally two footed genius I'd ever seen. Still have his name and number good as new almost on the famous grandad collar jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

LOL
    Thought that was about shay given timans
    Titas an all time hero.
    He was to Newcastle what Traore was to liverpool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Iwan Roberts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Got to be Jurgen the German for me, never had the pleasure of ssing him play for Spurs but the way he lifted us for a season (then helped save us a couple of seasons later) makes him that bit more special.

Honourable mention to Ledley, Ginola, Teddy, Hoddle, Ossie, and rSol until he stabbed us in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kensutz wrote: »
    Iwan Roberts

Ha now there's a blast from the past. Missing teeth and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

As a child of the eighties I adored Robson. Cantona, what can one say? Always loved Dennis Irwin and bring on the Scholesy magic. But it for me, whether cliched or not, it can only be Keano....

As mad as a hatter, hated as much loved, the archetypal leader on the pitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUYQojIK5d0

(the above wouldn't embed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For me going to the actual games, it has to be the 7 years of Henrik Larsson

Hardly counts as a cult hero seeing as he was universally loved by Celtic fans. Same would go for Zola and possibly Ginola.
    Wiki wrote:
    Cult roughly refers to a cohesive social group devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding culture considers outside the mainstream, with a notably positive or negative popular perception

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    As a child of the eighties I adored Robson. Cantona, what can one say? Always loved Dennis Irwin and bring on the Scholesy magic. But it for me, whether cliched or not, it can only be Keano....

As mad as a hatter, hated as much loved, the archetypal leader on the pitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUYQojIK5d0

(the above wouldn't embed)

I knew it wouldn't be long before he cropped up *sigh*
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Hardly counts as a cult hero seeing as he was universally loved by Celtic fans. Same would go for Zola and possibly Ginola.

So who's yours for 'pool?

Counts as a cult hero to me and that is all that matters. Take your pendantic definitions else where please

Counts as a cult hero to me and that is all that matters. Take your pendantic definitions else where please

How is it pedantic. Naming Larsson just means its a "who's your favourite player" thread.Thats a completely different thread.
    Xavi6 wrote: »

So who's yours for 'pool?

Neill Mellor. The goal and assist against O lympiakos and the winner against Arsenal put him there.

Most people seem to think he's a bit crap.:)

Neill Mellor. The goal and assist against O lympiakos and the winner against Arsenal put him there.

Most people seem to think he's a bit crap.:)

Lol fair enough.

If I hadn't of chosen Kinky it'd be Andy Morrison. By all accounts he was sh1te but he grabbed the players by the b*llox and hauled them out of Division 2. Scary, scary man to play against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

MICKAEL MADAR for Everton.

http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/past/Madar.html

cant find any video footage but I know a few people who really liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I suppose Dennis Wise would be a cult hero, he had a great relationship with the fans when he was with Chelsea

I knew it wouldn't be long before he cropped up *sigh*

Poor baby!

Class player + driven leader + on the edge personality = cult figure.

And when someone mentions cult hero, I always think of Matt Le Tissier.

Poor baby!

Class player + driven leader + on the edge personality = cult figure.

I've alternative adjectives I could use but I'll bite the tongue ;)

Cue MrJoeSoap ecstatic at another thread hijacked by Le Tiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Surely the greatest Cult Hero of them all is "Mark Robins".

If it wasn't for him, Alex Ferguson wouldn't be here, and Manchester United might not have been what they are today.

• Advertisement

Cue MrJoeSoap ecstatic at another thread hijacked by Le Tiss.

Uh oh. What have I started!?!? :)

In terms of cult figures in recent years in English football, you'd have to mention Di Canio (crazy fascist looney but purveyor of some of the finest goals and funniest moments), Peter Beardsley (such an unlikely candidate for brilliantly skilled footballer), Gazza (enough said).

If you're talking 'novelty' cult figures then you could mention Diego (oh-oh-ah-oh), Shaun Goater (the b**tard ;) ), Ali Dia (the reason why Souness should NEVER be let near a top coaching job again), David May....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer @ Man United

Might have something to do with '99, I dunno ;), but every United fan has nothing but affection for that chap

Uh oh. What have I started!?!? :)

In terms of cult figures in recent years in English football, you'd have to mention Di Canio (crazy fascist looney but purveyor of some of the finest goals and funniest moments), Peter Beardsley (such an unlikely candidate for brilliantly skilled footballer), Gazza (enough said).

If you're talking 'novelty' cult figures then you could mention Diego (oh-oh-ah-oh), Shaun Goater (the b**tard ;) ), Ali Dia (the reason why Souness should NEVER be let near a top coaching job again), David May....

Yeah he's number 3 on my City list. Absolute hero.

The likes of Tony Yeboah, Tino Asprilla, Alan Knight (just for FrattonFred!), Phillipe Albert and Efan Ekoku could all probably be considered too.
    DaveMcG wrote: »

Might have something to do with '99, I dunno ;), but every United fan has nothing but affection for that chap

It's not just United fans tbh. Great player, wrong club! ;)

DaveMcG wrote: »

Yeah, definitely.

But that could be another category - cult heroes that are admired by fans, whatever their allegiances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Osam

Most consecutive games in which he was doubtful beforehand, also best player to ever play in the LOI.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

someone adored by the fans and who gave them reason to show up on a freezing cold Wednesday night for a league cup replay.

Prompted my list.
    Got to be Jurgen the German for me, never had the pleasure of ssing him play for Spurs but the way he lifted us for a season (then helped save us a couple of seasons later) makes him that bit more special.

Honourable mention to Ledley, Ginola, Teddy, Hoddle, Ossie, and rSol until he stabbed us in the back.

If its to be players who aren't wuite up there with the best but are still loved by the fans, then Nayim...for what he did after he left the club...:D

Steffan Freund for his time at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

20legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Julian Joachim or Juan Pablo Angel.

How is it pedantic. Naming Larsson just means its a "who's your favourite player" thread.Thats a completely different thread.

Because you are defining what 'cult hero' means. From the original post, I am looking at 'someone adored by the fans and who gave them reason to show up on a freezing cold Wednesday night for a league cup replay'.

Here is a link to the BBC cult hero page for Celtic where Larsson was voted top.

Liverpool fans voted Fowler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Vannnnn derrrrrr Vellllll-dennnnn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I wouldnt say Larsson or fowler were Cult Heroes.....they are genuine legends at Liverpool and Celtic, for me a cult hero is the kinda player who isnt really at that level but is adored by the fans for his efforts and character.

for me at Ibrox weve had a couple over the years, Ted McMinn being before my time but still the stories of him are abundant.

during my time....Scott Nisbet, mainly for his goal against Marseille...he meant it so he did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As mentioned before Shaun Goater at Man City fits the role perfectly.
    Limited player but gave his all for the club and worshipped by fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He probably doesn't fit into the definition of cult hero but anyway, Lubo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvLDPQBPmY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

DSB wrote: »
    Julian Joachim or Juan Pablo Angel.

tommy johnson for me

the original ginger supersub

Nah, your looking for the overrated fat guy thread two pages down. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

eirebhoy wrote: »

i would say lubo counts...pretty much in the same way as prso did for us, he came towarrdhe end of his career, but played some of the best football of his career when no one really expected much
    good call

Another Ibrox one....for completly different reasons..Terry Hurlock!!!! :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

eirebhoy wrote: »

Completely agree. Excellent player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o03XblmAkQo&feature=related

What a night. I put a fiver on at 25-1 under the stand and actually was delighted when Van Brockhurst scored to make it 3-1. Didnt mind too much two more were stuck away. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i would class a cult hero as a player who did one or 2 great things without actually being a superstar. ole was a superstar!!!

some united cult heroes -

diego forlan - for scoring those goals at anfield
    john o shea - for scoring THAT goal at anfield.

mark robbins and lee martin - fa cup in 1990

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Perry Groves.

"What you have to understand is that no matter how good you are, you're privileged to play for Arsenal. It's the shirt that makes you."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

micky quinn for coventry is a another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Les Sealey, Rene Higuita, Jorge Campos, Michel Preud'homme, Hans Van Breuklen, Rinat Dasayev, Dmitri Kahrin, Bruce Grobbelar...the goalies were nuts back in the day!!! :D

i

diego forlan - for scoring those goals at anfield

They will always be classed as Dudek Og's as far as I'm concerned, he was far more involved in the goals than Forlan was. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk F.C - Tom McNulty = hero

Celtic - Has to be the "Three Amigos" Jorge Cadete along with Pierre van Hooijdonk and Paolo Di Canio.

For Shels as a kid I used to love Gary Haylock. No particular reason just loved to watch him play. Imagine my shock then when in my first year of college soccer he was my manager! I was a bit in awe at our first training session and couldn't say a word. 6 games in though I had a row with him, was hauled off at half time and didn't play for him again! They say you should never meet your heroes.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Gary Haylock , Could well of made it too cult status as dundalk had he not sat back and done NOTING the season following his heroics in the FAI cup final.For that i cant forgive him :D

But i still sing the tune sometimes

tell all the bohs ya know
    That gary haylock is
    better then CROWE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Marc Overmars in his Arsenal days, what a player.

And good old Aldo and Ronnie Whelan for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Bernie Slaven. Scotsman makes scores on his debut for Ireland and then, well does pretty much nothing after that.

Middlesbrough fans love him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Steve Birks for us , hard as nails , maybe the fact he always sported a zero blade haircut made him seem harder than he was but he certainly put himself about :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Savo Milošević at Villa.

Savo Milošević at Villa.

Don't you mean Missalotovic? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement