Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fast should torrents download?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 10:38am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm very new to torrents but don't seem to see what the fuss is about cause I've only ever got crappy speeds, but I hear others getting huge speeds all the time. Most of the links I try to download don't work or get less than 1k/s.
    I have set up the port forwarding and checked it with the uTorrent port checker - it is forwarding properly.

Can anyone point me to a torrent that should download quickly - a linux distro or something - so I can check if its my setup...

I found this article and will try it later

I'm on NTL 2mb in Co Dublin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

mainly slow speeds come down to seed to leech ratio.

But check your PM and I will give you a helping hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

also make sure you limit your upload speed, it can have a bit affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I'm on a 3m connection and can get up to 300kb downloads with plenty of seeds but generally get about 50-100kb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

If you're on a private tracker where ratio is important, dimeadozen for example, you're much more likely to get faster downloads than a public one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

I have a 2mb connection with Irish Broadband and the fastest ive gotten on a private tracker is 240kbs.Normally with decent seeds its around the 40 to 70.
    PM me if you need to know a few sites;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bros123 wrote: »
    I have a 2mb connection with Irish Broadband and the fastest ive gotten on a private tracker is 240kbs.Normally with decent seeds its around the 40 to 70.
    PM me if you need to know a few sites;)

Banned for 1 week for offering sites against the charter,
    PM a mod to get unbanned in 1 weeks time.

Lads no offering of warez or copyright material or I'll be handing out bans, talking about torrents is all fine and well but have enough sense to keep it legal!

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Skatedude wrote: »
    also make sure you limit your upload speed, it can have a bit affect.
    not entirely true tbh.

you need to set your upload to about 80% of what it normally does, if you throttle your upload complete you go against the whole ethos of what bit torrent is and therefore won't work or will but you'll get worse than dial up speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

Here's a link to the offical OpenOffice website, where you can torrent it. The file is about 120mb or so. That should be a good way for you to test your speed. I just downloaded it myself there, at a steady 320kB/s, so you should expect to see similar speeds.

Make sure you are connecting to the tracker. In the General tab at the bottom of the screen, you'll see some info on the tracker. (If you can't see it, just drag the window up a bit). Anyway, uTorrent will cycle through the URLs of each tracker and tell you if they're working or not. (Also indicated by a blue icon next to the torrent. A red icon means that it can't connect to any trackers, but sometimes it still might be able to download)

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 strange but tru

Your issue is your isp NTL have the largest contention ratio around depending on the number of houses sharing a network box you could be sharing your connection 100:1 or more ?????

if you checked your fire walls and so on and forwrded your ports connect to am torreent with multiple seeders and leechers the more the better as this should max your speed out- its a ratio thing the more people throwing out the data the quicker you can pick it up _ swarming_

I have 7mb smart telecom and on a max i get around 650 kb/s or a 2 hour movie in about 30 - 40 minutes day or night but it does depend on the people who are throwing the information up if alot of the peers and seeders have 1mb or 2mb connections there uploads are really slow that why you should never ever turn your upload speed down I max my upload to thats why its called file sharing

p.s. if you do decide to down load torrents remeber to seed so someone else can get the file too. thats the way it works thats why they call it person to person or the file sharing community not grab and run dot com.

if you need help with ntl pm me there contract has more wholes than a tea bag so if want to leave them i can can tell you how

Advertisement