Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 16-12-2007 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

I had a minor accident this year. Both of us claim it wasnt our fault, I want 50/50 but the other party want me to pay for damages (only 700euro).

Now they cant prove there was 700euro worth of damage ie have no photos, engineer report, reciepts etc so my insurance company wont pay them until they can see this and then assess it.

But my insurance was up for renewal last week and my insurance company renewed my insurance and up'ed my premium, saying I had no NCB and taking into account they had to pay out, even though it has yet to be resolved.

it made a hell of a lot of difference to my premium and when I ring them I get someone in their call centre who hasnt a clue. Can anyone shed more light on this? can they just go ahead and take all that into account even though it hasnt been resolved? if it gets resolved at 50/50 wil i get that money back from my premium?

BTW i didnt actually authorise them to renew my policy, im out of the country for another while, wasnt till i checked my bank account that i seen they decided to renew my policy, i know if i cancel now i'lll loose money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

How can they take money from your account, How can they renew your insurance by themselves, You must have said yes go ahead for them to do that or you can tell them to refund you fully and go elsewhere.
    They cant just take money out of your account.What insurance company is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

drdre wrote: »
    How can they take money from your account, How can they renew your insurance by themselves, You must have said yes go ahead for them to do that or you can tell them to refund you fully and go elsewhere.
    They cant just take money out of your account.What insurance company is it?

Well they did. Im in Oz since early November and will be here another while. I asked the same questions but got no answers. i didnt even want to renew till I got home I was in shock when I seen the money gone from my account I couldnt believe it, so I logged onto Quinn.ie and seen they had renewed my insurance till Dec 08!

The only thing i can think of is if they sent me a letter saying if you do not reply we will take it that as a yes for renewal?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Ok, you renewed with an open claim on your policy. What will happen is when the claim is closed, they will re-evaluate your premium and adjust it for the outlay. If its only 700 bucks then it won't have much of a load. You will still lose the NCB though.

When you renew with an open claim on your policy, they always look at the 'worst case scenario' - as in they prepare as if they were going to pay out €1m.

Of course they automatically renew...the amount of people driving around uninsured would be staggering if they didnt auto renew! All you have to do is ring up and suspend your policy. It will take a 2minute phone call. They would have sent a letter, like you said, reply if you dont want to renew.

What was the accident circumstances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Seperate wrote: »
    Ok, you renewed with an open claim on your policy. What will happen is when the claim is closed, they will re-evaluate your premium and adjust it for the outlay. If its only 700 bucks then it won't have much of a load. You will still lose the NCB though.

When you renew with an open claim on your policy, they always look at the 'worst case scenario' - as in they prepare as if they were going to pay out €1m.

Of course they automatically renew...the amount of people driving around uninsured would be staggering if they didnt auto renew! All you have to do is ring up and suspend your policy. It will take a 2minute phone call. They would have sent a letter, like you said, reply if you dont want to renew.

What was the accident circumstances?

Thats a great reply has cleared a lot up for me.
    The accident was basically cuased on a roudnabout in lashings of rain. we both only had very minor damage and agreed with each other it was 50/50 on the spot. We took details just in case. 2 weeks later i get a letter from his insurance company saying they hold me responsible.

And there wasnt 700euro worth of damage either, there was none and I had a good look as Im handy with cars. thats why they cant produce an engineers report recipet etc there trying to have me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Quinn definitely auto renew policies unless you notify them before the due renewal date.

• Advertisement
Advertisement