Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony RDR HXD870

• 16-12-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a site that has the above recorder in stock and delivers to Ireland?
    It shows on Pixmania as 'in stock' but when you click on the link it just goes back to the homepage, which I think is their way of telling you that it is actually not in stock.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Black and silver in stock on komplett.ie. Don't know if you'll get it before Xmas. Have the black one myself. Works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Yes thanks aaf,
    I was looking at this before but it has a low number in stock. I think it said 5 last time I looked. I seem to remember a warning that it could be out of stock by the time order was processed or something like that. Only shows 2 in stock now. In other words it is probably not in stock and so it could be anytime before you actually see the thing. Any idea how much they charge for delivery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

powercity have the 750. Its exactly the same except for the Irish market with one tuner. I bought it for €329. they knocked €20 off display price . Very happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

trabpc wrote: »
    powercity have the 750. Its exactly the same except for the Irish market with one tuner. I bought it for €329. they knocked €20 off display price . Very happy with it.

Is the 750 the same as the 870 ?

870 have the EPG while the 750 does not ?

870 has series recording but 750 does not ?

870 has Digital Terrestrial Tuner while the 750 does not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭trabpc

AFAIK the only difference is the tuners. (870=uk) (750=IRL)

I have mine hooked up to my SKY box and it downloads the EPG every night from Eurosport no hassle.

Has worked perfectly for me so far.

search through these post further down for more info

• Advertisement

Reason for buying in UK is I wanted the series recording functionality which I believe the 750 doesnt have

If I buy the 870 in UK will it work here ?

Ideally would like to have the 2 tuners analogue & digital, but will the UK analogue work here ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The series recording function is part of the digital EPG and will only work if you can recieve UK terestrial Digital (Freeview) and then only on Freeview channels.

The Irish Digital terestrial will give you an EPG only for the channels it carries (RTE1/2, TV3, TG4) but doesn't have series link enabled. Even if/when it does it would only be for those channels.

AFAIK there is just one European model Sony 870 so one bought in the UK will have a full UHF/VHF analogue tuner but I couldn't guarantee it. The 870 (with full UHF/VHF analogue and UHF Digital tuners) was and probably still is available from Irish Argos stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The 870 has full UHF / VHF analogue and a UHF Digital Tuner). The Digital Tuner is an MPEG2 decoder that means that you'll be able to view the FTA channels during the DTT Trials, if you're in the east coast (Probably around Dublin and further north).

The Trial is MPEG2 encoded, but the live feed when (if?) it goes live is likely to be MPEG4.

The Series link feature is a feature of the EPG and needs to be part of the Transmission -this is enabled in UK Freeview, but not on the DTT Trial (at the moment). So wouldn't work for the Irish channels.

The 750, as far as I could see only has an Analogue tuner.

Both are currently available from Argos and Currys / Dixons.

Hope that helps

FYI the HXD970 with the same features as the 870, except the 970 has a 250GB hard drive (vs 160GB on the 870) is

Eur363 equivalent (GBP269.99) in KKElectronics on Edgeware Road in London

http://www.kkelectronics.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON07F000028&Prod_name=Sony%20RDR-HXD970%20250GB%20multiregion

whereas in Argos Ireland this same model is Eur500.49.

banchang wrote: »
    FYI the HXD970 with the same features as the 870, except the 970 has a 250GB hard drive (vs 160GB on the 870) is

Eur363 equivalent (GBP269.99) in KKElectronics on Edgeware Road in London

http://www.kkelectronics.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=PON07F000028&Prod_name=Sony%20RDR-HXD970%20250GB%20multiregion

whereas in Argos Ireland this same model is Eur500.49.
    €369 on komplett.ie plus whatever shipping charges. Bought mine a few months ago. Willing to sell it as I'm thinking of building a HTPC.

• Advertisement

aaf wrote: »
    €369 on komplett.ie plus whatever shipping charges. Bought mine a few months ago. Willing to sell it as I'm thinking of building a HTPC.

To be clear, the E369 you refer to is for the HD870 (160GB) on Komplett (excl shipping), while the E363 is for the HD970 (250GB) in KKElectronics.co.uk in Edgeware Road, or online (excl shipping).

banchang wrote: »
    To be clear, the E369 you refer to is for the HD870 (160GB) on Komplett (excl shipping), while the E363 is for the HD970 (250GB) in KKElectronics.co.uk in Edgeware Road, or online (excl shipping).
    My mistake. Looks like a good bargain so.

Advertisement