Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a computer - any discounts without MS Works?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

This question must have been asked before - but If you buy a Dell computer - must you take vista+ Ms works etc?

Can you get a discount without this software?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can switch beween XP and Vista, different machine specs tho.

You gotta call them to drop of the additional software, but the price doesnt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

There was a guy a few months ago that got some money off or some money back from dell because he didn't want windows on the pc. He was installing Linux or Ubuntu or whatever.

Ring them and annoy them about it because i know people who've had monitors removed from their orders to save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    There was a guy a few months ago that got some money off or some money back from dell because he didn't want windows on the pc. He was installing Linux or Ubuntu or whatever.

Ring them and annoy them about it because i know people who've had monitors removed from their orders to save money.
    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/110706-dell-windows.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I work in Dell Sales and its not possible to remove McAfee or MS Works from the vast majority of systems as they get a £10 kickback from them on every system shipped with it on. No matter what option I choose for putting through an order it will include the McAfee charge and the wretched software.
    Clicking on "no additional software" does not remove mcafee just removes broadbad referrals and dell muck
    You can get any of the older systems with XP. Also some of the new ones "N Series" come with ubuntu option

Advertisement