Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatherhood

Options
  • 16-12-2007 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭

Being a father is a lonely job .Even in a coventional family of four.Your voice goes -quite literally -unheard .Your opinion and knowledge have no currency .You are just dad ,and dad is like the spongy ,esmasculated clumsy dads you see on telly , a bit of an eye-rolling conundrum .A large and oafish ,bread winning necessity who shouts a lot and has smelly feet .It's very hard to know what to do .For instance,if i am quite for a while ,i get accused of being ' moody ' .If i voice an opinon they think i am ' aggressive ' .If i put my foot down ,i am mean and selfish .If i try to be easy going i am a wimp .If i do somthing i dont want to do just because i think it's what everyone else wants to do , i am a martyr.Emotion is regarded as a sign of weakness .The only time i ever get centre stage in my household is when i do somthing wrong.

'Here he is ! He's back ! Hello my darling ! Hello my lovely handsome boy ' I hear them saying as they clatter down the stairs as one excitable mass towards the front door when i return from a trip to the shops .It fools me every time .My children have missed me ! My wife she loves me ! Then i realise they are all talking to the dog.Quietly i unpack the shopping .

Turns out ,they are coventional little things ,caring nothing for the idea of metrosexuality or the new man ' when it come to their father .Where mother is there confidante best friend ,their emotional duvet and their role model ,they want me to be their fall guy ,their in -house comedian ,somone they can roll their eyes at and gently ridicule .The classic tried-and tested ,strong and silent type ,who would be a father sigh ? :rolleyes::)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Not sure how to reply to this to be honest.

If its a tongue in cheek posting then its a strange one.

If its a true account of your feelings then its pretty sad and worrying. Especialy to me as the mother of a son. I would hate my son to end up feeling as you do, I would equally hate to feel my dear husband had even half of those feelings.

Again treating this as the cry for help it appears to be. You seriously need to re-engage with your family. You need to become more involved in thier everyday lifes. You need to become the father you could be. The father you should be.

You dont have to be a metrosexual or new man to be a good father. You need to be involved and part of the everyday. You need to take an interest. You need to make it happen, even if you have to push hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not sure how to reply to this to be honest.

If its a tongue in cheek posting then its a strange one
    The guy who originally wrote the article was tounge in cheek.I thought it was obious ,little smiley or not at the end .:)

jezz you seriously didn't think i was being serious did ya ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As a mother and wife, I'd have to ask how involved you are/have been in your children's lives? Just going to work and showing up for dinner isn't enough, I'm afraid.
    Do you talk to your family? More importantly do you listen to them? Respect has to be earned, no matter who you are.
    My husband isn't a 'new man' or 'metrosexual', but our daughters are as close to him as they are to me - and they confide in both of us equally. This is because he's been involved in their lives from the minute they were born. They value his opinion and respect him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

latchyco wrote: »
    jezz you seriously didn't think i was being serious did ya ?

Hilarious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

latchyco,

If you're going to copy and paste someone elses writing, at least put a link to it in your post :|

This thread is pointless. Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement