Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -vs- Chelsea

• 16-12-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Part 2 of Grandslam Sunday, should have its own thread really.

A draw will suffice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I think Arsenal could win this one, especially with Fabregas and Hleb back and no Drogba for chelsea. Although as Archimedes says a draw would be nice, a score draw with Lampard scoring to help out my FF team! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Cmon Arsenal. Defo want goals though for both teams so there aren't too many Arsenal clean sheets in people's fantasy football teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The game is being played at some pace, Very good to far ,can see either team scoring .

Disgraceful tackle by Terry Yellow card for ENGLAND CAPTAIN hmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Gonna be another brawl in this one. Terry and Adebayor could have both got reds with different referees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Gallasssssssssssssssssssssss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Crap keeping from Cech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

come on the gunners. Gallas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Please tell me someone else saw Gallas little speech on handing over the bubbly to Clichy...absolutely cringeworthily hilarious:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good result for Liverpool ;) Ain'nt gonna a catch Arsenal but at least Chelsea might be a target.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

whats that ??

listen,......... anyone else hear it ??

a kind of banging sound ??

like a hammer ?

hammering a final nail in a coffin ?? with Chelsea written on it ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

jackdaw wrote: »
    whats that ??

like a hammer ?

LOL, best fan ever award goes to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

whats that ??

like a hammer ?

And the award for worst poster gos to.............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

William Gallas you beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Take that Cashley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Take that Cashley

You said it. Cole looked second rate compare to the bombarding Clichy.
    Another Gem of a move by wenger. you know we could have beaten them by 4, but as easily we could have just taken a point. At the end of the day the table doesnt lie today. Arsenal and United are far superior to the rest.

tred wrote: »
    You said it. Cole looked second rate compare to the bombarding Clichy.
    Another Gem of a move by wenger. you know we could have beaten them by 4, but as easily we could have just taken a point. At the end of the day the table doesnt lie today. Arsenal and United are far superior to the rest.

The thing is this Arsenal team has still so much to come from it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What was the deal with the ref stoppign the game at the end when Fabregas jumpin in on Cole, then blowing up without restarting? What happened to the extra time for the sub made when Bentner came on and for the reason he stopped play?

Stekelly wrote: »
    What was the deal with the ref stoppign the game at the end when Fabregas jumpin in on Cole, then blowing up without restarting? What happened to the extra time for the sub made when Bentner came on and for the reason he stopped play?

30 seconds you mean, stop the game boiling over I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Thought we were lucky, altho we could've stuck those 3 chances from the counter attack. Cech was the last keeper i was expecting to f'up like that.

Thought we were lucky, altho we could've stuck those 3 chances from the counter attack. Cech was the last keeper i was expecting to f'up like that.

Sorry can't agree, felt we deserved the three points, two goals we had ruled out, very unlucky imo, as for our goal, yes Cech did not reach it but who cares,:)Come on Arsenal!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OPENROAD wrote: »
    two goals we had ruled out, !!

Doesnt matter how many goals you have rules out if they are offside. If Lampard had caught 5 crosses and thrown them into the net it wouldnt mean Chelsea deserved anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Yeah but they were perfectly good goals!

who cares we won!

and Robin 'alleged rape' van classy was looking in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Doesnt matter how many goals you have rules out if they are offside. If Lampard had caught 5 crosses and thrown them into the net it wouldnt mean Chelsea deserved anymore.

He'd just be following Terry's lead with the use of hands, and he'd get away with it cos he's English :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Of all the astute buys from an astute manager.

Galls plus a few million for Cole - and we had Clichy in reserves.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Once Terry went off the game was over not that we were ever going to be in it without Drogba anyway, BenHaim is a total liability, most unlike Cech to come out and miss like that.

With Terry gone and Sheva being utterly useless we still managed to give a good account of ourselves and it was a much better game of football than the earlier game.

When I saw the chelsea line up it really looked like we were going to go all out attacking with Ferriera, 2 x Coles and SWP , but with sheva the target it was always going to be a struggle to score, in the end Ferreira didn't really get forward that much leaving SWP on his own and we ended up attacking down the middle for most of it, which made no sense considering the team we put out..... but then again Grant is clueless so why would i expect anything else.

anyone who thinks there is a gulf in quality between arse, man u and chelsea is deluding themselves, with Drogba and Essien we're as good as anyone, if we had a manager we might even be better. It's not that long since you scraped a draw agains newcastle and got beaten by boro.

Hopefully Roman has posted his letter to the transfer santa and we'll have a striker capable to scoring goals in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

growler wrote: »

anyone who thinks there is a gulf in quality between arse, man u and chelsea is deluding themselves, with Drogba and Essien we're as good as anyone, if we had a manager we might even be better. It's not that long since you scraped a draw agains newcastle and got beaten by boro.

In fairness to Arsenal for the Newcastle and Boro games they were missing three of there first choice midfield and their best striker. Take utds/pools/chelskis team apart like that and they will struggle against anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just goes to prove that with a fit squad Arsenal are a match for any team. You could argue that if Chelsea had Drogba in stead of Shevshenko they might have gotten at least a goal. But then another person could argue that Adebayor's goal should never have been ruled out. All in all Arsenal were worthy of a one goal margin win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Hopefully this will show Geant that if he has to play Sheva he can't have him up there on his own. And when did SWP turn into Jesper gronkjaer? Have we got to play our first choice 11 yet this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

gosplan wrote: »
    Of all the astute buys from an astute manager.

Galls plus a few million for Cole - and we had Clichy in reserves.

:D:D:D:D

looks like such good business now doesnt it...removes cashleys ego from the dressing room too!

SWP got no joy whatsoever from him yesterday apart from when he ghosted in from the deflected cross and decided to smash the ball rather than just guide it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I thought Fabregas's tackle on Cole :) was nuts, I think he was actually trying to really injure him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

PHB wrote: »
    I thought Fabregas's tackle on Clichy was nuts, I think he was actually trying to really injure him.
    yeah, it was great wasn't it. Highlight of the match for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I thought Fabregas's tackle on Clichy was nuts, I think he was actually trying to really injure him.
    yes, i found it hard to understand why he was tackling his own left back myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I thought Fabregas's tackle on Cole :) was nuts, I think he was actually trying to really injure him.
    Yeah Im surprised that was brushed over, I thought it was a very bad tackle, no intent to play the ball at all, he could easily have got a red card on another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

he should have been off - it was an awful tackle and he looked like he was trying to wrap his foot around cole's leg... i like fabregas a lot and i appreciate his spiky side as much as his footballing side but that was plain nasty and very unprofessional (and not that there's ever a good time for a suspension but it was especially stupid when he's just back from injury coming into the Christmas period)

OK we still deservee the win imo. And the first goal was not off side, very very close but benefit in this situation is supposed to go to attacking team and second goal was not a foul. As for your Lampard comment above :rolleyes:

Yeah Im surprised that was brushed over, I thought it was a very bad tackle, no intent to play the ball at all, he could easily have got a red card on another day.

and so could Terry for his tackle on Cesc and Cole for reacting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OPENROAD wrote: »
    and so could Terry for his tackle on Cesc and Cole for reacting.

they al should have in my opinion. Wiley is a really weak referee, he always avoids the difficult decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Agreed, it was a very strange game for a referee though. Very easily could have sent off 3/4 players and be justified in doing so. I'm also read today in the Indo that Grant is angry over the tackle that injured Terry and was motioning along the lines of Eboue should have been sent off. Now I don't like Eboue but there wasn't any intention (imo) other than to block Terrys clearence. Unlucky on Terrys part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

they al should have in my opinion. Wiley is a really weak referee, he always avoids the difficult decisions.

I think Wiley did a (for the most part) good job. There was potential for a game like this to boil over into a brawl so he didn't dish out the cards on sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galvasean wrote: »
    I think Wiley did a (for the most part) good job. There was potential for a game like this to boil over into a brawl so he didn't dish out the cards on sight.

it effectively did though. from Terry's tackle onwards things just kept escalating slowly but surely. I don't agree with the whole "diffuse the situation" lark, all it is is the referee avoiding making the hard decision. Players need to be made accountable for their actions. Cesc shouldn't have been let away with just a yellow, it was a horrific tackle! that type of refereeing just encourages that type of behaviour in the future too as the players know they'll get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

With a different card happy Ref, Terry and Fabregas would have gone, Mikel probably would have gone for 2 bookings and possibly Eboue too. In any event it would probably have ended up 9 vs 9.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    PHB wrote:
    Originally Posted by PHB
    I thought Fabregas's tackle on Cole was nuts, I think he was actually trying to really injure him.
    yes, i found it hard to understand why he was tackling his own left back myself...
    Just goes to show how seemless the transition from Cole to Clichy has been, PHB can't tell them apart!

I thought Arsenal did enough to deserve the win but were by no means at their best. van Persie looked to be the fittest of himself, Fabregas and Hleb but was benched because Fabregas wasn't fit enough to play in a 4-4-2, imo. Fabregas and Hleb weren't very sharp.

However Essien, Carvalho and Drogba were massive losses for Chelsea. They have a job on replacing the latter next summer.

yup you are prob right, obviously personal history between Cole and Cesc, but, and I hope I don't get jumped upon for this as I don't want to see any player injured but have to say Cesc you made me :D:) big time with that tackle.

The thing is the standard of refs is **** poor these days, no consistency and thats what bugs people big time.

it effectively did though. from Terry's tackle onwards things just kept escalating slowly but surely. I don't agree with the whole "diffuse the situation" lark, all it is is the referee avoiding making the hard decision. Players need to be made accountable for their actions. Cesc shouldn't have been let away with just a yellow, it was a horrific tackle! that type of refereeing just encourages that type of behaviour in the future too as the players know they'll get away with it.

John Terry should never have been injured as he should not even have been on the pitch at the time, should have gone for his two footed challenge on Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Anyone notice Cesc, pushing Fwank in the back a few times while off the ball.

He gave him a friendly pat after fwank sliced his free kick a mile wide. Lovely young lad is cesc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

whats that ??

like a hammer ?

You seriously think that's the end of Chelsea? Buffoon. And someone else posted Cashley, I assume you mean Man Utd.....................

Chelsea were muck yesterday, no Drogba, no Carvalho and thanks to dirty tackling by Eboue no Terry, we'll see in the return fixture at Stamford bridge if we're at full strength and Gallas, Toure and Adebayor are injured who gets their asses handed to them! Not us for sure!

DerKaiser wrote: »
    You seriously think that's the end of Chelsea? Buffoon. And someone else posted Cashley, I assume you mean Man Utd.....................

Chelsea were muck yesterday, no Drogba, no Carvalho and thanks to dirty tackling by Eboue no Terry, we'll see in the return fixture at Stamford bridge if we're at full strength and Gallas, Toure and Adebayor are injured who gets their asses handed to them! Not us for sure!

Considering he's gone for the foreseeable future though, who's gonna score the goals?

• Advertisement
Advertisement