Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People stop leaving your sat navs in the car.

Options
  • 16-12-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Ok so I was talking to another person there today (a taxi driver) that has had their car broken into and thier satalite navigation stolen, this is about the fifth person I know over the last couple of months. I can't believe some people are still leaving them sitting on the dash board over night or when they are parked in a parking lot for a long time. These things are like cat nip to scumbags and there are gangs of them that are going around doing nothing else all day everyday except looking for them. I figured everyone would have stopped leaving them sitting up there like a present with a ribbon on it by now but apparently not.So spread the word if you know anyone that doesn't at least stick in in thier glove box when they are away from their car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I was in Cork last year and left my sat nav on the windscreen for 2 minutes, I came back to the car and there was a crowd of scumbags standing near the car like flies on ****e. Never left it out of sight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Make sure you take the window mount off too, not just the SatNav itself, they'll smash the window and go straight for the glovebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor_M wrote: »
    Make sure you take the window mount off too, not just the SatNav itself, they'll smash the window and go straight for the glovebox.

Only if theres not another car nearby with the satnav intact on the mount; but that is a very valid point. Goes along with the removable front from 95% of radios being in the glovebox... a number of head units now have no branding on the backplane to try to reduce the chance of people brand-picking them for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

i dont even leave mine in the glovebox, have had my window broken before with no signs of anything so dont want it going missing if this happens. i take it in home anytime i use it. i would also advise wiping the windscreen aswell as theives see the little ring the suction cup leaves and will smash your window to have a look in your glovebox. i just give it a quick wipe with my sleeve or a bit of tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lucifer wrote: »
    i would also advise wiping the windscreen aswell as theives see the little ring the suction cup leaves and will smash your window to have a look in your glovebox. i just give it a quick wipe with my sleeve or a bit of tissue.
    I've heard of that happening too. Very hard to remove the mark though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I stayed in a Travelodge near Heathrow about a year ago and there were signs all over the car park warning people not to leave satnav in their cars. I actually had mine with me and made sure to bring it into the hotel at night. Ironically, I used to leave it in the glovebox of my own car at home, and while I was in England, some scum broke into my car as it was parked outside my house. Lost my stereo and would have lost the satnav too, if it had happened a day or two earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I never leave mine in the window, thats just asking for it.. But about the holder thats a bit too far.. ****ing thugs, there coming down in price, so maybe it will cool down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Is very easy to forget to remove things from your car like satnav, radio, etc...

I have a customer that got 3 radios from me in the last 6 months...
    You can not do it in purpose, is just too many things to do and it is very easy to forget...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

slipss wrote: »
    Ok so I was talking to another person there today (a taxi driver) that has had their car broken into and thier satalite navigation stolen, this is about the fifth person I know over the last couple of months. I can't believe some people are still leaving them sitting on the dash board over night or when they are parked in a parking lot for a long time. These things are like cat nip to scumbags and there are gangs of them that are going around doing nothing else all day everyday except looking for them. I figured everyone would have stopped leaving them sitting up there like a present with a ribbon on it by now but apparently not.So spread the word if you know anyone that doesn't at least stick in in thier glove box when they are away from their car.
    you can get a pink satnav and paint spots on it. :Dhttp://www.thenewpink.co.uk/2006/09/20/pink-satnav/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

louie wrote: »
    I have a customer that got 3 radios from me in the last 6 months...

where does he live? bandit country? 3 radio's in 6 months is mental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Yes. I know is hard to beleive.
    He's from Stilorgan but he work in Pearse Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Homer

Also worth noting that if they do manage to get into your car and steal your sat nav they will then (depending on how nice your car is) simply go to the "favourites" section and hit the "home" icon, which most people save as one of the first addresses, and they then know where you live and will fleece your house given the opportunity!

Bring back hanging I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭someothername

MYOB wrote: »
    Only if theres not another car nearby with the satnav intact on the mount; but that is a very valid point. Goes along with the removable front from 95% of radios being in the glovebox... a number of head units now have no branding on the backplane to try to reduce the chance of people brand-picking them for theft.

not necessarily true , i was sitting at the red cow the other day in my car and a very nice 5 serie BMW was parked beside me. at the very front line ( not up the back of the car park) and some scum bag walk straight off the luas and broke the window and took the sat nav ... even waved at me when he saw me looking and walked off calm as you like... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maybe he made some assumption about BMW drivers then... I couldn't dare comment :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭newstalk

We are looking to discuss this growing problem on newstalk tomorrow and would be interested in hearing from you. please get in touch at breakfast@newstalk.ie

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Why are there so many scumbags in the world?
    It really annoys me that decent people have to take out their Sat Navs, face off head units, hide cd wallet under the seat etc. Just to lessen the chances of a scumbag breaking into their car.
    I had a friend who got his back window put in and they stole his rear speakers. Who steals speakers? And what do they do with them? I wouldnt buy a set of speakers off chav who had no box for them and the wires hanging out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

HJL wrote: »
    Why are there so many scumbags in the world?
    It really annoys me that decent people have to take out their Sat Navs, face off head units, hide cd wallet under the seat etc. Just to lessen the chances of a scumbag breaking into their car.
    I had a friend who got his back window put in and they stole his rear speakers. Who steals speakers? And what do they do with them? I wouldnt buy a set of speakers off chav who had no box for them and the wires hanging out of them.

Agreed, neither would I. But some people would.
    The thieves (if caught) should be beaten up by the owners of the goods. (that would change some attitudes !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The problem of them getting the sat nav and hitting "Go Home" occured to me as well.The solution that I have come up with is simple.Leave the glove box open and take it with you.The thieving little scumbags will have a quick look and see nothing on windscreen,nothing in glovebox and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i'd imagine we need those flaps on windows like in 'saw' (the movie)..

look like normal cat flap type things, where you put your hand through the window and grab the satnav...

but with these flaps, place your hand through the flap, and you can't get it back out without sawing your own hand off due to the one way system which has knives and blades preventing anything from getting back out of the flap :D

so the thief would be stuck with his hand through your window when you come back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Quiff81 wrote: »
    not necessarily true , i was sitting at the red cow the other day in my car and a very nice 5 serie BMW was parked beside me. at the very front line ( not up the back of the car park) and some scum bag walk straight off the luas and broke the window and took the sat nav ... even waved at me when he saw me looking and walked off calm as you like... :eek:
    Was the scumbag caught? That kind of story makes my blood boil, would give me such pleasure if somebody saw what was going on and performed some very serious GBH on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If only security features than maimed thieves were legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

smemon wrote: »
    i'd imagine we need those flaps on windows like in 'saw' (the movie)..

look like normal cat flap type things, where you put your hand through the window and grab the satnav...

but with these flaps, place your hand through the flap, and you can't get it back out without sawing your own hand off due to the one way system which has knives and blades preventing anything from getting back out of the flap :D

so the thief would be stuck with his hand through your window when you come back :p

now you're talking, finally a productive idea.
    people with no hands dont tend to steal much stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

I always take mine with me, and my CD player too, they're in my handbag as we speak!

how big is your handbag?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

About a foot long and a foot tall!!! I love big handbags!!!!!!

"Payout!" for any handbag snatchers though!

Advertisement