Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can you re-use in the garden?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Use polystyrene beads from packaging to mix with your compost when filling containers, they create pore spaces for water and allows air to flow, it will make the containers lighter too.

Make an interesting addition to paths walls and borders by incorporating bottles. Push the bottles into the ground or wall until only the base is showing, use different colours for a pleasing effect. There is crushed glass on the market at the moment, these look like shiny pebbles and are effective in pots as well as the garden.

Combine broken concrete, old bricks, wood and natural stone to form walls with texture and form in the garden.

Old railings can be turned into fences or trellises
    If you have old paint in the shed this can be used to paint the railings or any old furniture that raised beds are made from.( I can’t think of anything else to do with old paint that would be safe)
    Don’t discard your old bathroom, plant up the old toilet with petunias or turn the sink into a birdbath. The bath could make an interesting water feature; it would make an ideal home for a water Lily

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Indeed, bit like Viz.

Surely though, excessive use of polystyrene beads would lead to soil contamination as they break down?

And actually have two old bathroom sinks in my back garden that I took out of an old gaff. They're just sitting there now, but come late next spring, they shall be alive with colour and a haven for invertebrates, else they will be smashed and used as fill.....

Advertisement