Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maldini Announces Retirement

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

These days the word legend is over used .

But there goes a True Legend of the Game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I feel like typing R.I.P, he is the best defender of all time. Oh well, Milan have another Maldini coming through the ranks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

FIFA should have a day of mourning for when he retires.One of the all-time greats of the game.When looking in the dictionary for the word legend, it should read Maldini.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Not fond of Milan but I absolutely love Maldini.

They broke the mould when they mae him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Great player, his retirement was inevitable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Definitely the greatest ever defender imo. Footballers are getting better and better every year and Maldini is still one of the best defenders in the world. Strolled through the games against Celtic last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Yes, we could use "world class" to describe Maldini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    These days the word legend is over used .

But there goes a True Legend of the Game

Very true. One of the best defenders of all time for sure. Amazing to think he stayed in the Milan team for the best part of 20 years. We'll hardly see his like again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Every time I hear that I have to double take - 1985.

Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Absolute legend. Devastated when Liverpool lost the CL last year, but the blow was softened seeing old blue eyes lift the cup.

True class, amazing defender, and loyal to his club. One of a kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

A shame he didn't lift the World Cup for Italy, but aside from that a stunning career. Best defender ever probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha, 5 champions league titles. Take that pool. True legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Unbelievable player. Amazing to think of the dedication that he's show to stay at the top for that long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Fantastic player. Wonder will he stay in the game as a coach or manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ha, 5 champions league titles. Take that pool. True legend.

Needless trolling.

Jesus Christ. Get over it. I was pointing out he has the same amount of Champions League titles as Liverpool, who are what... 3rd in the overall trophies ranking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Was just talkin about him in the pub today before the utd match on how at 39 he is still playing at the very top level. True hero, a legend of the game, won't replace him that easily thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Jesus Christ. Get over it. I was pointing out he has the same amount of Champions League titles as Liverpool, who are what... 3rd in the overall trophies ranking?

needless blasphemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I thought he was past it actually when I saw him in Euro 96. His following season for Milan was also a disaster, probably both of their worst in his time there, but I guess he proved me wrong over the next TEN YEARS!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An institution in the game. Sure he's been playing since the year I was born! One of the all time heroes of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Great player defiantly one of the best players not just defenders ever
    While there have been quite a few players to play on till their late 30's I cant think of any bar the odd keeper that was still first choice for a European Cup winning team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

kinaldo wrote: »
    I thought he was past it actually when I saw him in Euro 96. His following season for Milan was also a disaster, probably both of their worst in his time there, but I guess he proved me wrong over the next TEN YEARS!!!

A lot of people thought that. They billed the Italy -v- Russia match as Maldini -v- Kanchelskis. Then we proceeded to watch Maldini completely dominate him and all thoughts of the great one being past it were gone.

He was then and is now the greatest defender ever to play the game. The only other person that comes close was his team mate. Franco Baresi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Really? From an Arsenal fan? Seriously!!!
    Djimi Traore has won the Champions League more than any arsenal player, whats your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

A shame he didn't lift the World Cup for Italy, but aside from that a stunning career. Best defender ever probably.

I always think that myself. It must be one of his great regrets. He lost in a European Championship final and a World Cup Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

When the wages and lifestyles of modern footballers seem to be getting increasingly excessive and vulgar, Maldini remains the model professional.

An icon and a role model for how the professional footballer should preserve himself.

1985! Incredible!

Melion wrote: »
    Really? From an Arsenal fan? Seriously!!!
    Djimi Traore has won the Champions League more than any arsenal player, whats your point?

Anybody can win it once. Name somebody else who's won it 5 times?

And what the f*ck have Arsenal got to do with this? Jesus, some real f*ckin petit pool fans round here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anybody can win it once. Name somebody else who's won it 5 times?

And what the f*ck have Arsenal got to do with this? Jesus, some real f*ckin petit pool fans round here

Anybody can??? Any Arsenal players done it?

Im taking a guess that you support Arsenal, hence why i mentioned them. What did Liverpool have to do with the thread when you mentioned them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Lads, cop on.

• Advertisement

Maldini played left back against Boca they other day and he really does still have the fitness of a 25 year old. Running up the wing constantly and even sliding into tackles in the opposition corner, getting up and running full pelt for the loose ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eirebhoy wrote:
    Strolled through the games against Celtic last season.

Strolled being the operative word ;)

Nah, but seriously, total legend. It'll be a long time before the game sees a player like him again...or maybe in another 5 years when his son comes through the ranks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Any time i've seen him play on tv, he's looked like a real class act.
    Sorry to hear he's retiring but he's had a great run at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

iregk wrote: »
    A lot of people thought that. They billed the Italy -v- Russia match as Maldini -v- Kanchelskis. Then we proceeded to watch Maldini completely dominate him and all thoughts of the great one being past it were gone.

He was then and is now the greatest defender ever to play the game. The only other person that comes close was his team mate. Franco Baresi.

Was Sergei Kiriakov who dominated Maldini, tore him to shreds, Russia played a 441 and 1 on maldini and maldini was ripped apart. Was a decent match :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I don't think there ever was or ever will be as good a defender as him. I remember watching him last year in the final against Liverpool and seeing how calm he was, I don't think he was ever under pressure.

Pity he couldn't go on for another 10 years but he really is a true great and I've a feeling he'll be a very good coach/manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Maldini played left back against Boca they other day and he really does still have the fitness of a 25 year old. Running up the wing constantly and even sliding into tackles in the opposition corner, getting up and running full pelt for the loose ball.

Not to mention Cafu on the other flank. There must be something in the water. Two absolute legends of the highest standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

a genius and a legend. he and some of his fellow Italians and team mates have to be model professionals how they have looked after themselves and remained at the top for so long.

to be still playing at the very top at 39 and not look out of place or over the hill is some achievement. i presume Milan will be retiring the number 3 as they done for the great Franco Baresi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

ya id say they will..hes an ambassador for the club.
    true legend of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

gucci wrote: »
    a genius and a legend. he and some of his fellow Italians and team mates have to be model professionals how they have looked after themselves and remained at the top for so long.

to be still playing at the very top at 39 and not look out of place or over the hill is some achievement. i presume Milan will be retiring the number 3 as they done for the great Franco Baresi?

Its retired unless one of his sons make the first team then they will get it

Played his 1000th game for Milan today.
    Number 1000

The Rossoneri captain made his debut an incredible 23 years ago on January 20, 1985 against Udinese in Serie A, and he has since gone on to make 999 appearances.

This evening Milan travel to the Stadio Tardini to play Parma, and Maldini is expected to be given the honour of his 1000th appearance.

Maldini was asked how it felt to reach the number, 8427 days after his first-ever game all those years ago.

“Serginho always asks me how many nights I have spent in a pre-match ritiro. The answer is really quite a lot…” said the 39-year-old.

“My other view of this milestone is that I have been fortunate to avoid serious injuries, to play in a great club, to be pushed by an enormous passion for the sport and having always had fun.”

Milan 6 - 0 Inter

During his career Maldini has won six different games with a 6-0 scoreline. So which one of these was the most gratifying?

“The derby we played with Inter as the home team. I remember the sight of the scoreboard at San Siro and my father’s face, as he was on the bench. It wasn’t a great season, but the derby gave us all such joy,” he explained.

“Having said that, it’s not always enjoyable to win by such a big margin. We respected Inter in that game. It is not right to stop when you are 2-0 or 3-0 up, but at the end of the day you do feel a little sorry if a team is beaten so heavily.”

Legacy

Maldini is set to end his illustrious playing days at the end of the season. So what legacy does he wish to leave?

“I hope my legacy will be one of absolute respect for the sport and opposition,” he stated with unrivalled class.

“This respect has been recognised by the fans, as I have never been insulted or jeered in any particular fashion.

“I did not create a personality or character that is separate from how I am in real life and this was appreciated by fans.”

Maldini will undoubtedly go down as one of, if not the most, legendary Italian footballer of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

“This respect has been recognised by the fans, as I have never been insulted or jeered in any particular fashion.

“I did not create a personality or character that is separate from how I am in real life and this was appreciated by fans.”

Quality!

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Its retired unless one of his sons make the first team then they will get it

No pressure on the sons then:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

That guy has to be the most respected footballer of all-time...astonishing achievement in so many ways:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Great player, his retirement was inevitable though.

Oh I dont know - I expected him to go on past 80 years before popping his clogs on the pitch:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Classiest defender ever.

Hope he gets his game vs Lazio on 1st March as I'm going over just to see him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

yeah he's a class fellow. hope to see his son play for some italian team in the future.

oh since there is no serie A thread this weekend i just wanted to see if anybody watched the Juve-Roma game and what they think? Del piero ''Classic'' won the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I just read that he decided to play for another year, and has therefore extended his contrct with Milan.

According to him he wasn't fully fit when he announced his retirement, but feels now as good as ever. Therefore one more year... will he ever stop playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

See this thread dragged up in a year then :D

Excellent! He didn't play vs Lazio so I still get a chance to see him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

AC Milan stalwart Paolo Maldini has revealed he may change his mind about retiring and instead play on for another year.

The 39-year-old centre-back announced in December this would be his last season as a player after 23 years in the Rossoneri shirt.

But Maldini admits he is now considering a U-turn and staying on with Milan for the 2008/09 campaign.

"I still have lots of energy," Maldini said. "I realise you should stick with what you say, but on the other hand you'd also be stupid not changing your mind if the situation also changes.

"In recent months the pain in my knees has gone, and the club and its supporters would like to see me play for another season."

The veteran, who retired from the Italy national side shortly after the 2002 World Cup, underwent knee surgery last year and revealed a positive recovery has prompted him to consider an extended spell on the pitch.

"I have to admit that three months ago things were much worse than they were five months ago because of the surgery I had to my knees," he added.

"But now I'm fit and playing at left-back in a position I haven't played in for a long time."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/overseas/italy/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=international_feed/08/03/07/SOCCER_Ita-Maldini.html&TEAMHD=italy

Can't say I'm too delighted about it. He's an absolute legend, but what is he hoping to achieve really? Had he bowed out after the CL Final last year it would have been so fitting. I can understand his love for the game and his club is huge, but I'm sure it always will be. Time to call it a day, Paolo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement