Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partying neighbours

Options
  • 16-12-2007 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

My next-door neighbours came in to me a couple of weeks ago to ask if I had the phone number of the landlord of the house on the other side of them.

The tenants - bunches of young lads - apparently party till dawn every Saturday.

I didn't know what they meant until I got up this morning (Sunday) at 5.30 and let my dog out for a pee.

Thudding techno music, yells and laughter were coming from the house. I can't imagine what it would be like to be living in the other half of the semi-D with this going on.

I stuck my head out the window at 6.30 and it was still party time; it stopped at 7am, started again at 7.30 and seemed to stop for good about 8am.

Trouble is, the Gardai told the neighbours "it's a domestic matter" when they rang, and they have no way of getting hold of the landlord's number. (Apparently the landlord is under the impression he's renting the house to three quiet girls, rather than about 30 nice but noisy fellows.)

Is there any way of finding out who owns a house, so they can contact him? They don't want to throw the lads out or anything, just to get the parties to stop at, say, 2am on Saturdays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If he can get a copy of Thom's directory he'll be able to see property's owner - provided that the house is more than two years old. If he can't pm me the address and I'll try to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks, jdivision; I suggested going to the library and trying Thom's; I'll be back.

The kids in the house next door but one are nice; they just don't realise that having 12-hour parties in suburban houses isn't acceptable - we're all old fogies out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try talking to the PRTB or the Environmental people in the council.

Have they actually spoken to the noise makers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

In general, Thom's directory will have the names of occupants registered to vote, not property owners.

They've spoken to them when the party was on, which seems to me to be a bit of a waste of time - people turn it down, then a few minutes later some favourite track comes on and it's "Oooh, turn that up! Everyone on the dance floor!"

I think they may now be going to talk to them when in non-party mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just curious (i'm not irish), but since when is this not a police matter? In any country i've ever lived in, if you throw a party and it's still going strong after midnight, if any neighbor wants to complain and calls the gardai, the gardai would usually stop by, knock on the door and give a gentle warning to turn it down. if they get more complaints and show up again you would then get a fine, and if push comes to shove a court summons. Is it not the case here?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your house is your castle. The Garda can't enter unless either the have (a) an invitation (b) a warrant (c) to prevent a serious crime happening 'now'. Noise pollution is essentially a civil matter and usually dealt with by the local council. However, an individual can also initiate a complaint in court against a noise maker.

A system of on the spot fines wouldn't go astray.

Apparently the Gardai did stop by and the sound was turned down for a bit. Yes, I agree, it should be a garda matter, but gardai are notoriously lazy.

From my (distant) memory of parties, I suspect that what happened next was, a half-hour or so later "Oh, yeah, I *love* that song!"

I can't really blame the partying kids. Though I probably would if I were living next door.

What's the PRTB, by the way, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

luckat wrote: »
    What's the PRTB, by the way, please?

this i imagine http://www.prtb.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Victor is correct with this Noise Pollution point. If you can prove the this is a regular occurance, i.e. call the Garda everytime it happens, then they can do something about it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/environmental-protection/noise_regulations/

• Advertisement

The thing about Thom's is, well, it gives the name of the occupier. But let's say the occupier is called Mike Murphy or Pat Byrne, that's not a big help, without another address!

Apparently the parties happen every Saturday. I sleep like King Tut, so this is news to me; if Gabriel wants a good place to blow the Last Trump, he should do it outside my house because I'll sleep right through it. But my new neighbours are lighter sleepers, and the sound of enthusiastic partying from dusk till day is annoying them.

Advertisement