Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another SLI question

Options
  • 16-12-2007 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Guys and Gals,

Is it/would it be possible to use 2 different cards on SLI? I for example have a 8600gts so would it be possible to use it with a 8800gt?

My PC isnt capable of SLI but I intend building my own PC next year so I'm just curious..

Cheers,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Guys and Gals,

Is it/would it be possible to use 2 different cards on SLI? I for example have a 8600gts so would it be possible to use it with a 8800gt?

My PC isn't capable of SLI but I intend building my own PC next year so I'm just curious..

Cheers,
    P.

No both cards would have to be the same model: i.e X2 8800GT or X2 8600GT etc.....

SLI is only any good at very high resolutions on 24" + sized monitors. If you are using a standard 17" or 19" it is a waste of time.

Also SLI will only work in certain games, in some games having it enabled will actually cripple your performance. Having two cards in SLI will not magically mean you double your frame rate, usually it is about a 30% increase or so at higher resolutions.

Rule of thumb: get one good card as opposed to two cheap sh it cards running in SLI.

One good card will perform the same in every game.

Two cheap crap cards: performance will be all over the shop and usually it will slower than just getting one good card on top of the extra noise and heat generated and extra power requirements of having SLI.

In short do not bother with SLI unless you have a very big monitor that has a huge native resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I have a 26 inch display with native resolution of 1920 x 1200, I'm currently running an 8800 GT and it's plenty, I was thinking about sli'ing but that was just to get better benchmark scores, I don't actually need it. Can run all games at high settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭patrick2007

Any takers on a 8600GTS? Dublin area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

try adverts.ie I'm sure you will get a buyer there

• Advertisement
Advertisement