Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boyfriend is in denial!!! bita history

Options
  • 16-12-2007 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

first of all about time there was ona these!!!!!!!!
    although i have no speech problems, my mam&sis do...

the major problem is my boyfriend....... for aslong as ive known him, hes stammered....... i think i pick up on it more because im living with people that do, my mam and sister have said it to me on a few occasions. like i dunno how to approach it, my mam did (gently) and was told here to go....... i dont want him to be be embarrased or whatever im well used to it, it doznt bother me at all ya no. my mam went through 30 odd years of nobody knowing and she says it was torture and i really dont want him to go through that ya no. my mams involved in the ISA and i know it could help him..... i dunno what to do......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If he has no problem with it why should you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

My dad is in the same situation, in complete denial that he has a stammer and like yourself it is pretty obvious to me that he has one given my own experiences of it. Either your boyfriend is extremely sensitive about it or he really doesnt know he has one, I would find it hard to believe that anyone who has a stammer doesnt know they have one though.
    Wish I could offer some advice but my speech therpist approached my father about his stammer and asked him if he had one, two speech therapists it was in fact and he denied it. It was clear to them too that he had a stammer but that is just how it is. It is a pity though because it made me feel more ashamed of the fact that I have a stammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

If he has no problem with it why should you ?

i agree... the Op is making it become a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

The OP said it doesn't bother her. All she wants to do is help her boyfriend. My girlfriend encouraged me to get speech therapy, it was the best thing I ever did. My stammer didn't bother her at all and she cared enough for me to get me a number for a speech therapist.
    The OP's boyfriend may be comfortable enough with his speech and not want therapy. Perhaps you could get some leaflets from your mam (I know your mam and she'll be able to get information).
    The important thing to do here is not to pressurise your boyfriend cos he'll totally close up and never be open to therapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 *Murphy*

im not makin a problem. i want him to know that its ok and i will encourage him and support him in whatever way he wants. he himslef gets frustrated when he cant talk and often gets annoyed and wont talk, and more then once when hes been drinking hes said 'it annoys him when he cant speak properly' like i think he knows but he just wont admit it.

my mothers a nutjob :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement