Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Network not working on PC

• 16-12-2007 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

My desktop was working fine with the wireless router, has xp system. I got a new laptop with vista, connected to wireless router and now the desktop isn't working. The desktop has a dlink wireless card installed but just won't connect. I read about routers giving the same ip address to computers on the same network and it would cause one not to connect. Has anybody any advice. Also if I can get this working I would like to link the desktop and laptop, is this possible with xp and vista systems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Did you change any settings on the router when you were setting up the Vista laptop? Did you use a CD provided with the router when you were setting up the Vista laptop? Maybe the router's WEP or WPA key has been changed during the setup and you need to update the desktop's key to match the new key.

Provided both machines are set to automatically obtain an IP address and you haven't set up any IP address to MAC address mapping (with an accidental duplicate mapping) on the router, IP address conflicts should not occur.

File and printer sharing between XP and Vista is certainly possible but you'll need to sort out this connection problem first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

No i didn't use any cd, I got the wep from the desktop and used it for the laptop to connect, then the desktop wouldn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Hootie wrote: »
    No i didn't use any cd, I got the wep from the desktop and used it for the laptop to connect, then the desktop wouldn't work

Do you still have the wireless icon in the Network connections?

STEP: 1)
    Try this: start>control panel> network connections> right click on wireless and select view available wireless netowrks> select Change advanced settings>wireless network tab> tick the option to use windows and check.

STEP: 2 )
    If you dont have the wireless tab, you can turn it on by the following
    Control panel>admin tools> services>scroll down to the bottom and look for Wireless zero configuration> Double click and below make sure Start up type is Automatic and select start and go back to STEP: 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

do you mean not working or just blocking a few sites? i had the same problem with my laptop. Turned out to be the MTU settings on the Network Card on the Pc and the Wireless card on the laptop were not syncronised with the router and one would work then the other would not. Had to download a program to reset the MTU of the network card for the desktop.

The dlink icon for the wireless card is not green anymore but flashing red/white. It looks like i may need to reset the card somehow but unsure how. It sees the network but because the icon is not green it seems it will not connect

• Advertisement

Listermint, i didn't try turning of the laptop to see if the desktop works, do I download this MTU(what is it by the way?) on the desktop or the laptop or does it matter.

Got the wireless card working this morning, signal is excellent, but now no internet site is loading up, anybody any ideas ???

Advertisement