Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyor / engineer / valuer? What do they do?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a valuer for a house, a surveyor for a house, and an engineers report for a house?

I am about to buy a house and know the bank needs a valuer to see it, but I AM NOT SURE IF AN ENGINEER AND A SURVEYOR ARE THE SAME THING?

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

AFAIK, an engineer or a surveyor with professional indemnity insurance will do

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

jimbo78 wrote: »
    AFAIK, an engineer or a surveyor with professional indemnity insurance will do

Thanks.

Just checking - do you mean they will do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The valuer might say something like "the property is worth €X".

The engineer might say "the house appears to be structurally sound, but .....". He is most interested in whether it will fall down or not.

The surveyor might say "the house appears to be sound, however the purchaser should consider replacing the .......... in the short term". He will be interested in the whole building, but can't give the same strength of opinion on whether it will fall down or not.

The bank will always want a valuers report so they can process the mortgage. They will usually want either a engineer's or surveyor's report to confirm that any buildings are to an acceptable standard. Sometimes the engineer or surveyor will find something they aren't happy with and will either ask for a second opinion or qualify their report.

Often the valuer and the surveyor can be the same person. Often the engineer's or surveyor's work overlap. The engineer and valuer are unlikely to be the same person.

Advertisement