Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just got rear ended... What now?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 7:43pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was in slow moving traffic, I stopped to let someone out of a side turning, I was at a stand still for about 5 seconds and WHAM - a guy smashes into the back of me. I'd guess he was doing about 20-25mph - it was a fair shunt. There were four people including myself in the car - we were a little shaken up but all ok. Got out, damage wasn't too bad, the guy said he just wasn't paying attention. I'll need a new rear bumper but nothing else thankfully. A Gardai came by on a bike and we hailed him down and he took all the details etc.

What do I do now? I assume I call his insurance company and tell them about it, but what happens then? Do I inform my insurance company too?

Also, apart from being a bit shook up at the time I was generally fine, however soon after I drove away my back started to get a little sore. Nothing hugely painful but enough to cause some discomfort. Should I go to the doctor straight away and get it checked? What generally happens then? If it is whiplash and I will need medical attention, what is the general treatment - Physio or Chiropractor etc? Who should I talk to about compensation?

Advise appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Did you get a phone number for the guy who hit you ?. Get a quote for the damage, then give him a call. If its only a bumper that needs replacing maybe he would prefer to pay himself rather than go thru his insurance.
    however soon after I drove away my back started to get a little sore. Nothing hugely painful but enough to cause some discomfort.

Best to go to your GP and see what he thinks. I'd forget about compo until you find out if there is actually anything wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Call your insurance company and report it.
    Call his insurance company and report it.
    Get an estimate for your car damages and see a doctor about any medical problems.

Give all this info to the other insurance company and they should look after you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

random wrote: »
    Call your insurance company and report it.
    Call his insurance company and report it.
    Get an estimate for your car damages and see a doctor about any medical problems.

Give all this info to the other insurance company and they should look after you.

the guy admitted responibilty, so why ring his insurance company and make him pay for the next 5 years?

get an estimate from a good recommended garage for the repais and then ring the guy show him the estimate and he may very well pay up in cash.

the last thing he wants is for his insurance cost to go up over a silly little rear ender.

ps. more than likely if it happened at 25 mph, then you will need more than just the rear bumper, most likely you will need :

rear bumper
    rear bumper bar
    set of OEM clips
    and any misc bits that come with the bumper.

ie. some cars have the reg plate housing as a separate part to the rear bumper.

hope you get sorted ok,and by all means, if he is negitive in anyay about paying for the damage then ring his insurance company.

all my opinion of course, that would be my route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers, yeah he did actually say he wanted to pay in cash, but then when he realised it would be €500+ he said he's prob have to go through insurance. I'll get an estimate and let him know first anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kceire wrote: »
    the guy admitted responibilty, so why ring his insurance company and make him pay for the next 5 years?

It's still a good idea to inform the insurance company irrespective of whether any claim is followed through - especially as there could be a personal injury claim.

OP - You should only need to talk to your own insurance - they will, in turn, talk to the third party's insurers. Call your insurer and ask for an accident report form to be posted to you - fill it out and send it back into them along with the estimate of repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes, but the only thing is I'm insured with Excess Direct and they have a 4k excess. Am I correct in saying unless the damage is more than 4k they will not deal with it? Or is that only if it is my fault?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Zascar wrote: »
    Yes, but the only thing is I'm insured with Excess Direct and they have a 4k excess. Am I correct in saying unless the damage is more than 4k they will not deal with it? Or is that only if it is my fault?
    Thanks

Only if it's your fault. In this case, it won't be your insurance paying up - it will be the third party insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

crosstownk wrote: »
    Only if it's your fault. In this case, it won't be your insurance paying up - it will be the third party insurance.

Awww pooor pet, is your back alright? I'm sure your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As crosstownk has said you only report it to your insurance company.

Think of it this way: When you are involved in an accident (regardless of who is responsible) you report the matter to your insurance company. It then becomes "their baby" and it is up to them to sort it out. After all, that is what you have 'employed' them for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Zascar wrote: »
    I was in slow moving traffic, I stopped to let someone out of a side turning, I was at a stand still for about 5 seconds and WHAM - a guy smashes into the back of me. I'd guess he was doing about 20-25mph - it was a fair shunt. There were four people including myself in the car - we were a little shaken up but all ok. Got out, damage wasn't too bad, the guy said he just wasn't paying attention. I'll need a new rear bumper but nothing else thankfully. A Gardai came by on a bike and we hailed him down and he took all the details etc.

hi, dont assume you just need a bumber. I used to work in the trade/car rental industry and rear shunted cars would come in all the time and you'd hear "ohhhh, it just needs a bumper" until you take the bumper off and it needs -

A nee bumber, preped, primed and painted,
    bumper supports,
    new bumper foam/insulation
    rear chassis legs damaged (potential if you have a tow bar)
    tow bar twisted.
    fuel tank reptured.

a whole load of damage could lerk under that bumper.
    get it checked out is my advise.

NIF.

• Advertisement
Advertisement