Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do 10,000 rpm disks make any difference

Options
  • 16-12-2007 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

sorry if it's been asked before
    I was thinking about going sli but new power supply + new board + new card is too expensive by half , I thought a better idea would be to buy a 10,000 rpm disk and move my system to it, faster boot times faster game loading times am I right in thinking that, are the speed improvements really noticeable or do I have the wrong idea entirely ? is it worth doing ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

It will increase loading times but that is it. You wont see any in-game/application performance boost.

As for noticing the loading speed it will really depend on what your currently using, say if its a 7200rpm one, the difference wont be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Most hard drives are 7200rpm. You will notice a difference but there is super fast 7200rpm hard drives such as the Samsung SpinPoint 500gb

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VWqBIKeKkojiG/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=8138&agid=689

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭CodedFire

Its kind of a catch 22 with pc's i think, if you want a faster response time especially from games you really need to upgrade everything as they all work in tandam. For instance your drives can go as fast as they like but if your proccesser is old it wont make much of a difference. Conversly if you have an old board putting in a new proccesser my not make much of a difference because the board and only send data to the cpu at a certain speed.

I dont think i would bother with sli just yet, i got a non sli board, a geforce 8800gt, 2 gig of "value land" ram and a mid range core two duo for less than 700 euro. My system is quite nippy and plays cysis on the highest settings with no dips in FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

My brother's friend's cousin ;) told him that the hard drive is where the system 'speed bottleneck' usually is.

Lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The high end 750GB Hitachi drives usually perform as well as the Raptors (32MB cache on board), and are quieter/cooler.

HD is only the bottleneck if you haven't got enough RAM to load the data into, usually the only place a hd makes a difference is in level loading in a game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ssd tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

astrofool wrote: »
    The high end 750GB Hitachi drives usually perform as well as the Raptors (32MB cache on board), and are quieter/cooler.

HD is only the bottleneck if you haven't got enough RAM to load the data into, usually the only place a hd makes a difference is in level loading in a game.

bummer, I ordered a 150 gig rapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Depends on the hdds, the 500gb samsung spoinpoints ( t166 ) are actually faster then the 150gb raptors, but the 34/74gb versions are slightly faster then the t166's.

But as said above, if you want true speed then you will be looking for NAND SSD's and raid them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Anti wrote: »
    Depends on the hdds, the 500gb samsung spoinpoints ( t166 ) are actually faster then the 150gb raptors, but the 34/74gb versions are slightly faster then the t166's.

But as said above, if you want true speed then you will be looking for NAND SSD's and raid them

QFT, 7200's have been around for a long time and a lot of them are dog slow by todays standards. It really depends on what drives you are comparing.

Ive run 10K SCSI drives for the past 4 years. I like the small but noticable boost that the shorter latency offers, but a 7200RPM 500GB Seagate SATA drive I bought a couple of weeks ago almost equals it in effective throughput.

How long is a piece of string? If you want low latency, 15K is the way to go :)

Advertisement