Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Armageddon thread (spoiler alert!)

• 16-12-2007 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Armageddon is on tonight folks. Don't know if I can be arsed to try and catch it tonight but it looks a decent show on paper. I think a lot of the matches are hard to call. Here's how I see things panning out...

Edge vs Undertaker vs Batista (World Heavyweight Title)

I'm not sure how this one will go. I think it's between Batista and Edge as I don't see Undertaker winning the belt back yet. They seem to be pushing Edge very strongly of late so I'll go for Edge to win here by pinning Big Dave.

Randy Orton vs. Chris Jericho (WWE Championship)

Would be amazed if Jericho wins here. There's no momentum behind him right now. Orton to retain. What interests me is how they go about it. Will Orton beat Jericho clean like he did Michaels? That would be something.

Triple H vs. Jeff Hardy (winner gets Royal Rumble title shot)

Now this one is intriguing. Who will turn up tonight? Will it be the Triple H of recent times or will Super Hunter return to bury all before him? I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt and predict that Jeff goes over. If Triple H wins here it will be a disgrace.

CM Punk & Kane vs. Big Daddy V & Mark Henry

Wow this has classic written all over it! I'll go for Kane pinning BDV but I really couldn't give a toss.

Shawn Michaels vs. Mr. Kennedy

I'm curious to see if Kennedy will step up and put in a good performance here. He's in the ring with the right guy anyway. I'll predict HBK getting the win since he put Orton over at the last PPV.

Finlay vs. The Great Khali

I think Khali will get the win here since they seem to be building towards Khali vs Hogan at WM24.

Mickie James vs. Beth Phoenix (Women's Championship)

There haven't been many women's matches that have caught my interest over the last few months but this has the potential to be a good match. Beth to retain.

MVP vs. Rey Mysterio (U.S. Championship)

This could be the match of the night if they are given time to showcase their talents. I think it makes sense to keep the belt on MVP so I think he retains tonight. I just hope it's not some bullsh*t DQ finish.

What are your thoughts on the show? Anybody planning to watch it live?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 The Great One

Edge will win this one IMO but i doubt it will be clean and think that Undertaker will be screwed by edge again somehow so as to keep the Deadman involved before an eventual WM feud with Edge, however first there will probably be the Batista rematch clause snit and Edge v Batista at the Rumble.

Ortan to retain here but i also dont think this will be a clean victory as that would completley kill the small amount of momentum Y2J has from his recent return.

Could go either way this one but i think trips will put Hardy over. HHH isnt needed in the main-event yet and it would mean another chance to test Hardy at that level. I wouldent expect him to win at the Rumble as i expect Ortan to be facing Flair at WM for the gold but the RR match would be easy to sell as IC champ vs HW champ.

as Punks title isnt on the line id say BDV and Mark Henry simply to continue their current semi-push but i dont care really.

HBK to make Kennedy look good and beat him at the same time

if they are building to Hogan v Khali then Khali will win this one otherwise they may go for the comedic angle and have Hornswaggle somehow help Finlay win. prehaps distracting Khali/the ref while the shaleli comes into play.

Beth to retain, could be a good match but i dont expect WWE to take the belt from their glamizon just yet... maybe at the rumble or mania.

MVP to retain here in what will probably be the best match of the night. MVP will continue to retain until Matt Hardy takes the belt from him at Wrestlemania

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I'm gonna watch it live, cos of the offer with Sky Sports. Haven't really paid much attention to this PPV, so no predictions really. Other than I think Jeff will go over Hunter, but then again WWE needs to put the belt on someone who can draw money.

As this and SS are/were on Box Office does that mean the Rumble will be on Sky Sports or is that just wishful thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

So three people think Jeff's winnin? I'm not being so naive, HHH will be the one getting the title shot!

I'm looking forward to this one, could be some good matches. I'm expecting Finlay to do better than Cena and Michaels and bring Khali to his best match yet. Jericho's not winning, but it'll be interesting to see how he shapes up with Orton, considering how great Cena and Michaels did with him recently. MVP is the perfect opponent for Rey I think, so that's another one with a lot of potential. Same with the women's match. Both champs retaining there though. Shawn and Kennedy will be either great or awful, depending on which guy stamps their authority on the match. I'd expect Shawn to win. The SD title match more than likely will be really good once they start hitting their finishers, there'll be plenty to go around and those guys are usually really good at that stage

I won't be seeing this til the end of the week though, exams getting in the way. Otherwise I'd probably find somewhere to watch it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm pretty sure that the Royal Rumble will be on Box Office. It usually is, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Fozzy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the Royal Rumble will be on Box Office. It usually is, isn't it?

It should be free on channel 4 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote: »
    So three people think Jeff's winnin? I'm not being so naive, HHH will be the one getting the title shot!

I like to believe in people. :D

But seriously if he does win tonight then it's really unbelievable stuff altogether. The company is crying out for new stars and if he lets his quest to beat Flair's record number of titles take precedence over that....well, I'll hold my tongue before I start to lose my cool! I'm giving him the benefit of doubt for the time being. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I thought that the main rumour was that they were lining up Batista HHH for Wrestlemania. If that's the case surely Hunter will win and bAtista will win the Rumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I thought that the main rumour was that they were lining up Batista HHH for Wrestlemania. If that's the case surely Hunter will win and bAtista will win the Rumble

Dunno if theyd let Dave win the rumble for a 2nd time in 4 years,i reckon either HHH,Jericho or Edge if he doesnt win tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Edge hopefully. I expect Batista and Taker to batter Edge initially and then the Rated R Superstar will sneakily win with a low blow or something on big bad Dave.

Orton for sure and expect to see Y2J slip very quickly back into relative midcard obscurity.

Oh Christ Jeff has to win and hopefully Hunter will put him over. I think winning the rumble and winning the belt at Wrest mania will satisy HHH so he wont be bothered about having a title shot at the rumble.
    Don’t really care’s Punk and Kane are less rubbish so hopefully they will win.

Christ if Kennedy does not deliver in the ring he is in big trouble because he’s in the ring with the very best tonight. Kennedy to get a much needed push with a win probably by disqualification and the feud to continue for a wee while yet.

Only Cena has managed to get a good match out of Khali so Finlay has his work cut out. Khali will win despite the midget interfering..

meh!.
    I cant see anyone taking this belt of MVP till Matt comes back. MVP to retain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

batista to retain

orton to retain

triple h to squash jeff

punk and kane

michaels clean

khali clean

beth to retain via squash

mvp to retain but mysterio to pick up win by dq or something

roll on royal rumble

I've changed the thread title in case anyone wants to discuss the show as it happens. It will save someone setting up a new thread.

I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll watch it live though.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

I wasn't going to bother watching this, I was just planning on downloading the women's match tomorrow, but I stumbled on a live feed completely by accident so I thought I might as well stay up and watch it, lol. Only caught the end of Rey vs. MVP but they looked to be having a good match, bad bad finish though. ECW/ SD tag is just finished now...poor Punk. :( So that's two out of two finishes that I'm not happy with. I'm looking forward to the women's title match, Y2J vs. Orton and HHH vs. Hardy. As for the rest...meh.

God I can't believe they jobbed out Punk to that fat waste of space. Does this company not want to make future stars or what?

Nuts to this I'm gonna catch the rest of it tomorrow. Sure Triple H will probably win and then I'll be way too angry to get to sleep. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TGO

Very Good show, even the ecw and Khali matches weren't as bad as I expected them to be, Jeff winning was great though the crowd didn't seem to care, thought the main event was really good, edge brinning the greatness once again with the ring bell then his clones.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

So HHH jobbed to Hardy. I wonder where he'll go from here. And JBL might have that final match he keeps talking about. JBL v Y2J at Wrestlemania?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Icon!!

Yeah awesome that HHH put Jeff over but do you think he'll just be ran over at the rumble??? I dont know if i see him as a belivable champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

HHH put Hardy over so HHH can turn heel and Win the Rumble.

Going to download this tonight when i get home from work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

HHH put Hardy over so HHH can turn heel and Win the Rumble.

Going to download this tonight when i get home from work
    Nah he will win the rumble as a face and then beat the second best heel in the business Mr Orton at Mania. Raw has way to many heels at the moment anyways.

Two main event screw jobs, Ortan retains Edge wins the gold. HBK and Beth Phoenix win, MVP retains, Hardy gets a push thanks to trips, hell even Kane and Punk get screwed to further a big fat push nobody wants to see and Hornswoggle gets involved helping Finlay win via Shillelagh. All sounds a bit familiar... just shows how predictable Pro Wrestlng can be.
    Edge will win this one IMO but i doubt it will be clean and think that Undertaker will be screwed by edge again somehow so as to keep the Deadman involved before an eventual WM feud with Edge, however first there will probably be the Batista rematch clause snit and Edge v Batista at the Rumble.

Ortan to retain here but i also dont think this will be a clean victory as that would completley kill the small amount of momentum Y2J has from his recent return.

Could go either way this one but i think trips will put Hardy over. HHH isnt needed in the main-event yet and it would mean another chance to test Hardy at that level. I wouldent expect him to win at the Rumble as i expect Ortan to be facing Flair at WM for the gold but the RR match would be easy to sell as IC champ vs HW champ.

as Punks title isnt on the line id say BDV and Mark Henry simply to continue their current semi-push but i dont care really.

HBK to make Kennedy look good and beat him at the same time

if they are building to Hogan v Khali then Khali will win this one otherwise they may go for the comedic angle and have Hornswaggle somehow help Finlay win. prehaps distracting Khali/the ref while the shaleli comes into play.

Beth to retain, could be a good match but i dont expect WWE to take the belt from their glamizon just yet... maybe at the rumble or mania.

MVP to retain here in what will probably be the best match of the night. MVP will continue to retain until Matt Hardy takes the belt from him at Wrestlemania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I've seen about half of the show and so far it's all pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Interesting main event better that the usual dq's or run in's, Edge had a MAJOR impact ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

anyone else think HHH will involve himself in the orton/hardy match at rumble in some way probably making it a triple threat.

Ross/lawler killed jeffs momentum last night, they were basically saying he was lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Will give this a watch tonight hopefully. Am happy Edge got his title back. I think he has been one of the best performers in WWE over the last year or 2. It will make for more entertaining television having 2 faces chasing a heel champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

rossie1977 wrote: »
    anyone else think HHH will involve himself in the orton/hardy match at rumble in some way probably making it a triple threat.

Ross/lawler killed jeffs momentum last night, they were basically saying he was lucky

They're just trying to make him an underdog. Cause everyone likes an underdog! Or so the creative team of the WWE think.

Just finished watching this now. I thought it was a good show with mostly good matches. I didn't feel like there were any stand-out matches though and nothing really blew me away. Crowd were disappointing. Very flat all evening I thought. Pretty much what I expected. My thoughts on the matches...

- I figured MVP/Rey wouldn't have a clean finish which ended up hurting it. Still it was a good opener.

- The tag match was OK but the finish was bollocks. Can't see the sense in pinning the ECW champion clean. Seriously how can fans get behind guys who are made to look like chumps?

- Kennedy vs Michaels was a good match. They told a good story although I found Kennedy's selling to be really irritating. He always has to do everything in a goofy, whacky, OTT way and his silly screams really bugged me. Besides that I enjoyed it and I liked the finish to this.

- Jeff vs Triple H was a good bout but it was a shame the crowd weren't into it. I hope Fozzy is hanging his head in shame for doubting Triple H. I had no doubts whatsoever that Triple H would do the right thing for the business and put over Jeff. :D In seriousness though the right man won but you have to wonder how they will follow up on this. I really don't need to see Triple H winning the Rumble and being in a WM main event again.

- Khali vs Finlay was better than I thought it would be. Khali is diabolical in the ring but this match at least held my interest up until the finish. I'm surprised Finlay got the win here but I'm glad and I hope he gets a good push from here on in.

- Orton vs Jericho was probably the best match on the show but the finish really hurt it. JBL? What the f*ck? I hated this finish.

- Beth vs Mickie was a fine match but the crowd were as dead as a dodo. A pity. This Pittsburgh crowd sucked balls. A Kurt Angle appearance probably would have failed on this audience.

- The main event was a fun match. I liked the manner in which Edge won and it sets things up nicely on SD in the run up to WM24.

All in all I'd say it was a Thumbs Up show. Nothing spectacular on offer but it was good for what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I actually cannot decide whether i enjoyed the show or not. I was loving the opener, thinking it was one of the best openers in a long time, and then the finish happens. Now i know it was to get MVP over as the cowardly heel and all that, but it was such a waste of a good match ending it like that.

Didn't even bother with the ECW tag match. I refuse to watch any match with Henry and/or Mabel in it. They have no business whatsoever in a wrestling ring.

Hardy Vs Trips was a good match as expected. Like everyone, i would like to know where they are going with this, as Hardy will not be champion going into Mania, though i suspect he will win Money In The Bank at the 2008 event.

Didnt watch HBK Vs Kennedy, time was against me.

Really enjoyed Orton Y2J. Good to and forth match and reminded me of how awesome a wrestler Jericho is. Again though, the finish?

Womens match was okay. Mickie James has a fantastic ass.

The Main Event was entertaining, but the finish was just completely awful. Once again Edge is the "ultimate opportunist", as his victory came from someone elses finisher, and not without its fair share of deception. of course it was a 3 way, but enough is enough.

I suppose it was an entertaining show, but it has left a bad aftertatse. Is any one sick to death of the constant bad finishes in WWE? In one PPV 3 title matches had woeful ends to them. Not one clean finish? Looking at most recent PPVs how many title matches have had a clean finish? Are the bookers so bereft of ideas they do not know how to put anyone over clean without destroying their opponents momentum. Its rubbish, and its insulting. 3 perfectly good matches tainted but god awful writing.

Did anyone else realise that the 2 fake Edges were the Major Brothers? I only figured it out when I went to WWE.com this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

gimmick wrote: »
    Mickie James has a fantastic ass.

She really does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Did anyone else realise that the 2 fake Edges were the Major Brothers? I only figured it out when I went to WWE.com this morning.

They were the first people I thought of when I saw the show live. I didn't think WWE would acknowledge it though. It looks like they could do a good storyline with this.

Minto wrote: »
    They were the first people I thought of when I saw the show live. I didn't think WWE would acknowledge it though. It looks like they could do a good storyline with this.

More likely they will have Batista and Undertaker squash them in about 2 minutes on Smackdown on Friday making them look like complete chumps in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Think Edge wanted a stable for his last title run but with Cade and Murdoch as his suggestions along with being on Smackdown and his injury it never hapened. This angle could be the making of the Majors.

Shaneomac wrote: »
    Think Edge wanted a stable for his last title run but with Cade and Murdoch as his suggestions along with being on Smackdown and his injury it never hapened. This angle could be the making of the Majors.

Once i saw what happened I immediatley thought of Team Angle from a few years back, a faction with a tag-team and a leader. This is exactley what i could see happening with Edge and The Majors and it would be the best thing that could happen for the brothers. With their look its a great fit and i can imagine them starting to take on some of Edges mannerisms, plus who better to tuitor an emerging tag-team than Edge a man who until recent years was known for his time in one of WWE's best ever tag teams Edge&Christian.

Advertisement