Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Nolan and Ireland

• 16-12-2007 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Met Kevin Nolan last night in Dublin, Bolton were here on their christmas pesh up. Asked him about coming playing for the republic. He said the last time stan asked him he was all set to come play for us until Big Cas stepped in and advised against it. Hes still regretting listening to him.

Also said he would be open to an approach from the next manager.

Cas you muppet!! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Why did Big Cas advise against it, didn't do his career any harm ?

Whats Nolans Irish connections?, hasn't he already played u-21 for Engerland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Here we go again. No To Nolan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He's not eligible to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Cas obviously thought he was good enough to play for england and would get his chance.

Is he definitely not eligible eirebhoy?

Not sure he wants it enough to be honest, especially if hes saying let the manager come and get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No To Nolan?

No to refusing goalscoring mid-fielders.

If Nolan is eligeable, he should play for us, i cant watch the likes of Douglas and Liam Miller in our squad anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

RedorDead wrote: »
    Met Kevin Nolan last night in Dublin, Bolton were here on their christmas pesh up. Asked him about coming playing for the republic. He said the last time stan asked him he was all set to come play for us until Big Cas stepped in and advised against it. Hes still regretting listening to him.

Also said he would be open to an approach from the next manager.

Cas you muppet!! :rolleyes:

They where all in Gibneys, malahide wathcing the Liverpool v Manu game. That cascarinho is a muppett and a brutal football pundit. Also more english then irish, just wasnt good enough for them. How unFortunate for the irish republic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Barlow07 wrote: »
    . Also more english then irish, just wasnt good enough for them. How unFortunate for the irish republic :rolleyes:

So is Nolan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'd like to see him play for ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I could have sworn ive read reports with him quoted as sayin he wouldnt play for Ireland - see if i can find any (although maybe a change of mind since)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My Father is Iriah and my Mother German. I've lived here all my life. If I was a player who was better than anything Germany had available do you think they'd have any problem calling me up? I dont.

I wouldnt turn down anyone thats good enough. Plus we are not really in a position to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

kearnsr wrote: »
    I'd like to see him play for ireland

I'd like to see Ronaldinho , Messi and Fabregas play for Ireland but unfortunately them like Nolan are ineligible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gustavo wrote: »
    I'd like to see Ronaldinho , Messi and Fabregas play for Ireland but unfortunately them like Nolan are ineligible

I haven’t seen anything that says he isn’t able to play for Ireland. If the possibility is there I'd like to see him play for Ireland. There never was the possibility of Ronaldinho, Messi and Fabregas playing for Ireland so you're not even comparing the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

kearnsr wrote: »
    I haven’t seen anything that says he isn’t able to play for Ireland. If the possibility is there I'd like to see him play for Ireland. There never was the possibility of Ronaldinho, Messi and Fabregas playing for Ireland so you're not even comparing the same thing.

He played for England u-21's , ineligible , this was sorted out about a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

He only has 2 England U21 appearances. I thought there was a number of U21 games you had to play for your country before becoming ineligible for all others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4883596.stm
    Capped by England at every level from Under-18 to Under-21, a full call-up has so far eluded him despite his emergence as one of the Premiership's most consistent goalscoring midfielders......

.....But if England continue to ignore him it could be that Nolan's best chance of international football will be with his grandparents' country, the Republic of Ireland, who have already approached him.

From a BBC article just before the 2006 World Cup. They seem to think he could qualify despite having played 21s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Afaik, he is eligible. It's the same as the Kanoute situation when he declared for Mali, despite having represented France at U21 level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

if he is eligible, we must approach him. He would add a lot to our midfield. Him and Steven Reid would have plenty of steel and passing ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I think he only played in U-21 friendlies for England and therefore is still eligible for Ireland.

I'd say it would have been a good laugh watching the games in Gibneys yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he cant play

there was a period whereby people who had played for a different country at u21 level in friendlies, they could instead change to another country they were eligible for. however, you had to do this during this changeover period, it was around a year ago. Nolan never did this, so AFAIK, he cannot play for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I could have sworn ive read reports with him quoted as sayin he wouldnt play for Ireland - see if i can find any (although maybe a change of mind since)
    There was this bit in his BBC Blog last year...
    My name has also been mentioned with playing for the Republic of Ireland but there are just too many complications with that one.

I have spoken to their manager Steve Staunton a couple of times but it was just one of those things that did not work out for various reasons.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5319122.stm

Didn't really seem to commit to Yes or No for Ireland. Maybe he was put off the idea temporarily after he met Stan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

if he is eligible, we must approach him. He would add a lot to our midfield. Him and Steven Reid would have plenty of steel and passing ability.

Totally agree that would be a very strong partnership to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

He is eligible to play - providing he never won a full cap (senior) for any other country he can play where ever he has connections or is from northern ireland.

*looking for link to back up*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A hypothetical midfield of Ireland---S. Reid---Nolan---Duff would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

An Citeog wrote: »
    Afaik, he is eligible. It's the same as the Kanoute situation when he declared for Mali, despite having represented France at U21 level.
    The rules have been changed this then. Since 2005 no player over 21 can change alliance.

1 Any person holding the nationality of a country is eligible to play for
    the representative teams of the Association of his country. The
    Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility
    for any Player who assumes a new nationality and for whom par. 3
    of this article does not apply, or for any Player who would, in principle,
    be eligible to play for the teams of more than one Association
    due to his nationality.
    2 As a general rule, any Player who has already represented one Association
    (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category
    may not play an international match with another Association
    team.

3 If a Player has more than one nationality, or if a Player acquires a new
    nationality, or if the Player is eligible to play for several Association
    teams due to his nationality, the following exceptions apply:
    (a) Up to his 21st birthday, a player may only once request changing
    the Association for which he is eligible to play international
    matches.

A Player may exercise this right to change Associations
    only if he has not played at “A" international level for his
    current Association and if at the time of his first full or
    partial appearance in an international match in an official competition
    of any other category, he already had such nationalities.
    Changing Associations is not permitted during the preliminary
    competition of a FIFA competition, continental championship
    or Olympic Tournaments if a player has already been
    fielded in a match of one of these competitions.
    (b) Any Player who has already acquired eligibility to play for one
    Association but has another nationality imposed upon him by
    a government authority, is also entitled to change associations.
    This provision is not subject to any age limits.

4 Any Player who wishes to exercise this right to change Associations
    shall submit a written and substantiated request to the FIFA general
    secretariat. After submitting the request, the Player is no longer
    qualified to play for his current Association’s team. The Players’
    Status Committee shall decide on the request. The committee’s
    decision may be brought before the Appeal Committee. The Regulations
    for the Status and Transfer of Players contain more detailed
    provisions.
    5 Any Players who have already had their 21st birthday at the time of
    implementation of these provisions and who fulfil the requirements
    in par. 3 (a) are also entitled to submit such a request to change
    Associations. This entitlement will expire definitively twelve months
    after implementation of this provision
    - Which was the calender year 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I was in Gibney's that day. Didn't see any Bolton players around. For the best, I really dislike most of the Bolton team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I was in Gibney's that day. Didn't see any Bolton players around. For the best, I really dislike most of the Bolton team.

You must have had quite a lot to drink if you didnt see them :D. They where day alright, watching the game.

Advertisement