Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me what this fish is?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I came across a few of them washed up on a beach in county Clare. They have quite large teeth and what looks like a thorn growing out of their back.

Any ideas?

Image035.jpg
    Image036.jpg
    Image037.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

They are trigger fish, I'd say.
    "Dorsal Fin
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]All trigger fishes are characterised by an unusual dorsal fin arrangement. The first dorsal spine is very strong and is so arranged that it is connected in function with the second spine. The fish wedges itself into a crevice for safety and secures itself there by erecting the strong first spine and locking it into position with the second. When the second spine is depressed it acts as a trigger to unlock the first spine. [/SIZE][/FONT] "

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Defo a triggerfish. As to which type it was, I don't know as it's colours have faded badly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triggerfish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Thanks a lot guys.:)

Advertisement