Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken pin on my motherboard. what can i do?

• 16-12-2007 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hi there.

i bought a 680i from peterpiper on adverts there last week. he bought it from robertr a week before.

finally got all the parts i need. connected everything up friday night.

and had a few problems. thought it was the graphics card but its not.

there is a pin broken where the cpu sits on the board.

what can i do?

im not sure about the warranty as the north and south bridge cooler's were removed cos they were twisted when robertr had it.

so ive installed my own. but the pin is definatly broken!

help! i dont want to waste 150 quid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

well if you can find the pin you can solder it back on or maby you could get another to suffice.

i have seen people do this with amd 939 chips but it the other way round now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

the pin is still there. ill have to get a tweezers and remove it in the morning under a magnifying glass or something.
    not sure about soldering it on. aint soldered anything in a long time.

and finding a solder that small might be tricky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I already posted this but it might work for you

EVGA is proud to announce the 680i Motherboard Upgrade Promotion.
    EVGA is offering a special (1) one time upgrade promotional program to all of its
    (122-CK-NF68-XX)* registered customers. This program is for a limited time and will run for 60 days. (122-CK-NF68-XX)* customers will be able to upgrade to the 780i
    (132-CK-NF78-XX) motherboard for a one time fee of $89.99 USD or €79.

What do you get for the $89.99 (€79.99)?
    • New EVGA 780i Motherboard (132-CK-NF78-XX) • 3 Way SLI Bridge ($20 USD €14 Value) • Free Ground Shipping** ($10 USD €7 Value) • PCI-E 2.0 Slots • 3 x16 PCI-E Slots • ESA Certified Platform • New Upgrade Warranty (–A1 Limited Lifetime / -T1 2 Year Limited
    Warranty)

All products must be registered (http://www.evga.com/myEVGA/) You will need to send in your EVGA 680i Motherboard once you have been approved for this promotion.

Please visit our website at: http://www.evga.com/680iupgrade/ and then log in to see this upgrade offer.

Thank you,

i bought it second hand and i modded the board.
    would that be a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i bought it second hand and i modded the board.
    would that be a problem?

On the first part no. On the second part yes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

go for it i say

i doubt they will insist on board arriving b4 sending new one what are u meant to use as pc in the meantime?

think about logistics of it

once your credit card payment goes thru it will be shipped straight away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The 680s are dropping like flies, alot of the board partners have had to use up most of their profits on RMAs.
    Chance it, better than nothing, and the bent pin will just give you issues and hair-loss otherwise, if not fry some otherwise perfectly good components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

If you're gentle with the pin you should be able to straighten it. I'd suggest getting a fine knife (like a pen knife or some such) instead of a tweezers. It helps with lining things up.

I had a bent pin on a socket 478 cpu recently that arrived in the post. Sorted it with my swiss army knife. Works a treat.

Soldering is an option too. You should definitely be able to find someone good enough if you're not. I know someone (for example).

anti, i still have the south and north bridge coolers so i can put them back on.
    but the bar between them is a little out of shape.

not that noticable at a first glance really.

syspak, great advise. i think ill just buy the 780i and send this packing. ill see if i can get it before i have to post mine. they're not gonna come to ireland to get me ;)

khannie, afraid the knife wont do it this time.... the pin isnt bent. its snapped off completly. so it would require some pretty good soldering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This is a socket 775 board, so the pin is one of those on the board itself, which is more like a spring than a pin. Going to be an absolute pain to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

astrofool wrote: »
    This is a socket 775 board, so the pin is one of those on the board itself, which is more like a spring than a pin. Going to be an absolute pain to fix.

heatpipes are easy to bend anyway (they should be copper).if i were you i would send it back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

If you are going for the step-up deal with Germany not the US cheaper postage.

tony, i sent in my request for a step up.

thanks a mill for that info! owe ya one dude.

Advertisement