Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-virus

• 16-12-2007 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hello, Vista user here. I finally got around to installing Norton anti-virus on my laptop. As soon as I did so, many of email accounts became inaccessible and a bunch of problems arose. A quick glance through the 'Norton' threads on boards.ie (which I should have checked before buying Norton!!) confirmed that it is a pile of **** so I uninstalled it within minutes. The good news if that my laptop is back to full health (as far as I can see).

My question is: Vista has a firewall. As a rookie, I don't know much about PCs but was wondering should I also install an antivirus program (I see that people here are very complimentary of AVG). Sorry if it seems like an obvious question but I thought installing Norton was a no-brainer and I was very wrong!

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Install AVG and you'll be grand - it would be advisable, - Firewall alone isn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Install AVG and you'll be grand - it would be advisable, - Firewall alone isn't enough.

What he said. There's no point in buying an AV these days unless you are a business. It's like burning money really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm on Vista Ultimate. The Vista firewall only attempts to block incoming threats, but does not block outgoing. It should be replaced by a more comprehensive third-party firewall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I'm on Vista Ultimate. The Vista firewall only attempts to block incoming threats, but does not block outgoing. It should be replaced by a more comprehensive third-party firewall.

hu?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm pretty sure that fault was with the XP firewall, and that the Vista one fixes it. I would still recommend upgrading to a third party alternative though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Yeah, if you have some spare cash, Grisoft's AVG Intenet Security package is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Twincam

I think AVG is also available on Download.com for free...

Advertisement