Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Dublin

Options
  • 16-12-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

A Polish friend has asked me the best way of getting from Cork to Dublin airport for his Christmas flight home. Problem is that he must check in by 11:00am

I've actually never travelled to Dublin any other way than car so I don't have any experience to pass on.

I was thinking of suggesting he fly on the day prior?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Train or bus to Dublin the day before. Bus to airport. Overnight spent reading/whatever in the airport.

That's the cheapest way to do it iirc. It's not very comfortable or nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was thinking using the day before might be the better idea alright but would flying the day before be out of the question? He's not determined to economise too much, he just wants to avoid carpark fees/ stress about finding his way out to the airport I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Flying is perfectly possible, it's just more expensive usually. It would make things simpler though all right.

I'm trying to negotiate several sites but any idea of the cost of bus or trains? A return flight seems to cost in the region of about €100+ which isn't bad. Would he have to sit up or is there any kind of accomodation (B&B etc) he could use if he went the day before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've stayed in the Clarion Airport hotel for early flights before. If I remember correctly it was just about 100 euro. There's a courtesy shuttle bus to and from the airport.

• Advertisement

€200 for additional flights and accomodation might be tipping the scale for him I'd guess. He's probably not one for snoozing in public either.

Someone has suggested aircoach that have a service leaving Cork at 6am. He can do a €3 switcheroo in Dublin CC. Any experience of them?

Bus eireann don't seem to have a suitable service- 13hrs via Galway or direct arriving too late.

I'd be tempted to try the 6am air coach if there's a bit of a buffer for the flight time, in case it's a bit late.
    Otherwise get it up the night before, total for hotel plus bus would be around 120 euro.

Actually there is, deRanged- he has to be there for about 12. I think the 6am bus is the sensible option if that's the case.

check in at 12? I'd get the 6 air coach.
    it should get him up for 11 ish - dublin city centre for half ten or so, then half an hour to the airport. always assuming nothing goes wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cantdecide wrote: »
    He's probably not one for snoozing in public either
    It's quite difficult to sleep in the airport anyway. The only time it is quiet (passenger wise) is between 1am and 3am but the automated "This is a security announcement....." activates every 5 minutes and seems very loud during quiet periods. After 3am people begin arriving for early morning departures.

• Advertisement

I think we have a winner then, guys. Aircoach's 6AM boxcar it is and God bless all who ride in her. Thanks for all the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Flights to Poland cost a fortune at Christmas, so I wouldn't like to take any risks, but unless the driver gets lost (it happens) then the 6am aircoach should get him to Dublin in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭shnaek

I've flown to Dublin a few times and gotten there for anything from 1c to €29. But I guess this time of year the prices will be quite a bit higher. Still worth a look though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

6:45am flight out of cork. with Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Or 8am Aer Arann flight.
    Or 5.15 or 6.30 train to Heuston (Monday-Saturday only), then bus (no. 747 I think) or taxi to the airport. I find the train is more relaxing than flying or getting a bus, but some people prefer the bus.

Advertisement