Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gaurds took my car

Options
  • 16-12-2007 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

when are the gaurds allowed to take a car off you? my front tyre was in need of replacing, i have a sylvia, he made me pop the bonnet and everyhing.seen there was an airfilter, he said thats a modified engine! i have the insurance told what is done to the car, its a bloody joke, i wouldnt mind buti dont be going around "lapping" around the town, was just going into the shop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

if the car isn't road worthy they can take it alright.

I am sure they had a very good reason to take it, otherwise they wouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

was it taxed, insured etc

if your tax ix out of date by 2 months, the guards have the right to confiscate the vechicle

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

i thought they give you a warning or penalty points if you have a bald tyre??? wat other "good" reason would they have? as they didn't give me one!

no tax, i have it 4 weeks, still havent got the logbook, i showed him the reciept which i got off the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So did the guards take it off you because it was not taxed or because it was not road worthy? Or both?

• Advertisement

he said it wasnt safe to drive, i said i would go straight to the tyre centre and get it sorted but he said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

monster1 wrote: »
    i said i would go straight to the tyre centre and get it sorted but he said no.
    Was this matter brought to your attention previously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

How much did you pay for this car with a bald tyre?

no it wasnt brought to my attention,

Was the tyre defective when you inspected and bought the car?

• Advertisement

no, wasnt defective, it wasnt brand new either, its only going bald on one side so id say its the tracking, so they are allowed to take in your car? he said he is getting the psv to look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

if it's lacking tax and an NCT with obvious mechanical defects which the owner is unaware of, even after having recently purchasing and presumably inspecting the vehicle, then it sounds fair enough that they'd take it away to get checked out.

it has no mechanical defects, just a tire partially bald

But, was it partially bald when you bought it or did you lose a lot of tread in 4 weeks?

lost a lot of thread in a few weeks, why???

it has no mechanical defects, just a tire partially bald

a tyre wearing bald on one side in 3 weeks is a fairly clear indication of a mechanical defect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sounds defective to me. When you have a car like that, you must keep your nose cleaner than clean.

I have a friend with a 600BHP skyline "gts-t" (well it started out that way). It wouldn't pass an NCT in a fit and gettiing mpgs in the low to mid teens, he avoids compounding his financial commitment by taking his chances on not paying road tax.:rolleyes:

It was all fun and games until it was taken off him. In doing so, they ripped the front bumper off, too.

ya could of been defective alright, im not avoiding paying tax, havent got the log book yet, ringing shannon tommorrow. if i told him i was going to put a new tyre on it though he should of let me do that, i still dont think it was at all fair, do they not have anything better yo be doing! its a bloody joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote: »
    im starting to notice a pattern alright, thats what annoys me aswell, if i was driving a golf or something i wouldnt of been followed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 edwardh55

I think the guard should of taken the car off you, well for the tyre anyway, a pretty high powered car with a bald tyre, you are putting alot of people at risk and its not like a tyre goes bald all of a sudden....

NiSmO wrote: »

I think it's unfair also. In my area I have seen many so called boy racer cars pulled by the guards recently. They seem to be on the look out for these type of cars now more then ever.
    However, if you didn't want attention Nismo why do you have that kind of exhaust on your car. That kind of thing is just asking for trouble I can't think of any good reason for having it.

edwardh55 wrote: »
    I think the guard should of taken the car off you, well for the tyre anyway, a pretty high powered car with a bald tyre, you are putting alot of people at risk and its not like a tyre goes bald all of a sudden....

it was obviosly defective cause i checked them 2 weeks ago. if i was putting people at risk then what was wrong with letting me going to the tyre centre and changing it?? and i was asking if they were allowed to take it, not a lecture!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Price of a Pint

people who modify their exaust systems cause noise pollution.
    Your D** k does not get any bigger !
    Actually usually the bigger the Exaust the smaller the D**k( compesation issues)
    If you want to annoy people with a little rice rocket, pay up A**h**e
    Stupid !
    If I were Bertie Your car would be taxed to high heaven.

That's a bit of an over reaction Price of a Pint. However those exhausts do have a LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME factor. However when the guards look at them, they complain.

tuxy wrote: »
    ... a LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME factor. However when the guards look at them, they complain.

good summation. if you go that far out of your way to attract attention, don't whinge when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

it was obviosly defective cause i checked them 2 weeks ago. if i was putting people at risk then what was wrong with letting me going to the tyre centre and changing it?? and i was asking if they were allowed to take it, not a lecture!

Gardai can take a car the day after the tax is out, they give lee way for 2 months( I always thought it was 3 months), my brother in law nearly had his van taken for no tax 3 days out and cert in his office. Once the car is a danger they can also take it.

When the Garda stopped you what was your attitude to him, if you are driving a car that the Gardai look at as causing trouble then you have to be nice to them or else they'll throw the book at you. And if driving a "Boy racer" car you need to make sure everythig is legal.

Also the Guard properly heard the same story off loads of people so why should he believe that you are going to go straight to the tyre centre. And a half bald tyre is dangerous, you should be checking you tyres every week to make sure they are OK and should have noticed it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

tuxy wrote: »
    However when the guards look at them, they complain.
    So does anybody who has a fu<king sense of hearing!! In fairness I have no problems with people spraying their car with gold plate if they want, what does bug me is when you hear it before you see it....which would put it above the legal noise limit and therefore it should be confiscated.

Now I don't know the answer to the original question, but I'm sure if you were pulled today any Garda would have known a) that there wouldn't be a tyre centre open and b) it could be a month before you ACTUALLY go and get it done due to money etc...

Therefore the Garda was right to take it off you IMO but that's just my POV. And in fairness the Golf comment; my cousin bought a Starlet GT because he was getting too much attention from the Gardaí in his golf just because it had
    Wolfrace 17s on it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

people who modify their exaust systems cause noise pollution.
    Your D** k does not get any bigger !
    Actually usually the bigger the Exaust the smaller the D**k( compesation issues)
    If you want to annoy people with a little rice rocket, pay up A**h**e
    Stupid !
    If I were Bertie Your car would be taxed to high heaven.

Thats a bit harsh and untill our goverment actually bring in a law about the noise from car and bikes there is sod all can be done about it. Also how can they tax you more for a big exhaust? All that'll happen is like over in the UK, loud exhaust for 364 days and then standard one for MOT day.

Advertisement