Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gaurds took my car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the OP being one of them, and he got caught rotten. i don't see how anybody could defend this.

put yourself in his shoes, if a guard took your new pride and joy youd be in a pisser with them, weather or not you were in the wrong.
    tbh is a guard a mechanic...no
    so he cant make a call on a car, he was just going on what hes told.
    and OP i know where your coming from, but, there are other people unfortunatly invovled in cars because they think its "cool" but wouldnt know how to do a oil change, who wouldnt get a new tyre, o fix their car if allowed go on.
    the way they drive, theyd kill some poor soul, so we kinda get tarred with the same brush unfortunatly.
    but i can understand the guards stance on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

This guy has only just bought his car and couldnt justifiably tax it until he recieved his cert of ownership,
    Then he should not be on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I HATE big bore exhausts on stupid 1litre cars....it makes them shreek like a Banshee.
    Where i live a few lads who have Saxo's, punto,s ect with over sized pipes drive by my house a couple of times a day....it sets off my car alarm, house alarm, neighbours car alarm, drives the dogs mad, wakes me in the morning if im having a sleep in ect ect.....Its so annoying!!!!!!!
    If they want attention......i intend to give them attention.
    Saw a saxo last week with four exhausts....:confused:

On the subject.....Of course the garda took your car....its not road worthy.

OP ...your right...if you were in a golf you wouldnt get stoped........but i guess the guards know the golf driver probably isnt gonna have bald tyres but the "boy racer" has a reputation.......
    Never seen a Golf Plus doing donuts and wheelspins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

msg11 wrote: »
    I told him to take it easy it isnt a ford mondeo.
    that's the sort of stupid, smartarse ****e that will only inflame a situation like that. if you kept a civil tongue and weren't acting like a peurile muppet you probably could have avoided the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

ninty9er wrote: »
    Has there ever been 3 people banned for personal abuse in the same thread on the Motors forum before :(

If that's the attitude the Gardaí got, expect to be pulled over a whole lot more in future!!

what are you talking about?? he was very annoying! and i was very civil to the garda thank you very much, i dint give him cheek and done what he asked me to, i was just asking if they were allowed to take it in is all.
    i have seen this time and time again on the motoring section, can i not make a thread without people coming on and having ago??? its ridiculos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Outside my house had the car in towards the house, wanted to turn it around reverse it in for the morning to work..

Car has insurance, tax & nct.

While turning it around, the gardai stopped the me.. outside my house..

asked everything he could. THEN tells me I have no insurance. Proceeds to tell me he is taking the car to santry, I said ill get the papers etc..

Genuine question, why didn't you have your insurance displayed on the windscreen like everyone else?
    Sure you have papers but it'll cut down on hassle at checkpoints

Think thats bad??

Listen to my story...

Outside my house had the car in towards the house, wanted to turn it around reverse it in for the morning to work..

Car has insurance, tax & nct.

While turning it around, the gardai stopped the me.. outside my house..

asked everything he could. THEN tells me I have no insurance. Proceeds to tell me he is taking the car to santry, I said ill get the papers etc..

Oh no no, have to show them at santry. I was going mentle.

Then some, copper around 20 or so, clearly with no driving sense. I told him to take it easy it isnt a ford mondeo.

The guy nearly put himself threw a wall.

When up too santry showed the documents, got the car back free of charge..

What car I here you ask..

Mitsubshi - Lancer EVO 9

Its just typical.. Everything shown in the window..

id have made sure i found somthing wrong and kicked and screamed.
    thats disgraceful.
    he TOLD you you had no insurance when it was in the window???
    so in otherwords he confiscated your car for no reason??
    id have gotten a bagde number, name and then off to the police ombudsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Also they can give a fine of 80 euro for noise but cannot take the car for noise.

Seriously pal, why would you make a crazy statement like this????

A garda can suimmons you to court for having a "noisy" exhaust, where most of the time the judge will just send you on your way andf iif youre unlucky get a token fine.

The sooner the better these noise level restrictions come in here, no more noisy scooters or crap cars on the road, my exhaust is already rated well below the accepted level in the uk so im happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

that's the sort of stupid, smartarse ****e that will only inflame a situation like that. if you kept a civil tongue and weren't acting like a peurile muppet you probably could have avoided the whole thing

Avoided the whole thing? It was at the stage that they were taking the car, I was concerned about him more than the car. And hold up mate, how was I acting like a muppet turning my car around?? And how more civil can you get that I will run into the house and get the papers?

My point really is in agreeing with OP..
    micmclo wrote: »
    Genuine question, why didn't you have your insurance displayed on the windscreen like everyone else?
    Sure you have papers but it'll cut down on hassle at checkpoints

Everything was in the window, I did not have the certificate of insurance.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I HATE big bore exhausts on stupid 1litre cars....it makes them shreek like a Banshee.
    Where i live a few lads who have Saxo's, punto,s ect with over sized pipes drive by my house a couple of times a day....it sets off my car alarm, house alarm, neighbours car alarm, drives the dogs mad, wakes me in the morning if im having a sleep in ect ect.....Its so annoying!!!!!!!

On the subject.....Of course the garda took your car....its not road worthy.

OP ...your right...if you were in a golf you wouldnt get stoped........but i guess the guards know the golf driver probably isnt gonna have bald tyres but the "boy racer" has a reputation.......
    Never seen a Golf Plus doing donuts and wheelspins.

ive seen a golf doing wheelspins, doughnuts, all sorts of stuff i wouldnt.
    do you realise not all saxos and puntos and corsas are 1litre.
    most come in 1.8 or 2l sports versions, some may have turbos.
    very quick cars.
    and do you know you can get a V6 golf???
    yes some have 1l noisy engines but, whats the difference in noise between a 1l punto which youd bitch about, but if the neighbour got a ferrari, youd be on the compliment train:confused:

• Advertisement

Mr.Boots wrote: »

What the hell does all this crap have to do with the topic on hand. THe guy is driving a silvia with an sr20det engine not a 1L saxo so please try to stay on topic!!!

Then he should not be on the road

so every one that gets a new car and is waiting for the logbook shouldnt be on the road?
    this is the motoring section is it not?? why is there people commenting on it when they clearly have no interest in cars? its not too loud and I DONT be lapping up and down the town annoying every one!

cpoh1 wrote: »
    What the hell does all this crap have to do with the topic on hand. THe guy is driving a silvia with an sr20det engine not a 1L saxo so please try to stay on topic!!!

thank you cpoh1, this is so stupid what people are saying!!!!!

Avoided the whole thing? It was at the stage that they were taking the car, I was concerned about him more than the car.

no offense to yourself, but most people i have heard whine on about the behaviour of a garda in a situation like that will admit eventually that they were being a smartarse or drawing undue attention to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

micmclo wrote: »
    The company my dad works for has a fleet of about 40 vans working out of the 1 warehouse he's based from. The Gardaí have pulled the DRIVERS for displaying a PHOTOCOPY on the windscreen.

If you do not display ORIGINAL tax AND insurance discs you're in breach of some part of the Road Traffic Act...not quite sure what part though...and it's the driver's place to check...not the owner!

monster1 wrote: »
    so every one that gets a new car and is waiting for the logbook shouldnt be on the road?

not if the car is mechanically defective with bald tyres, no. is that a difficult concept to grasp?

thank you cpoh1, this is so stupid what people are saying!!!!!

Seriously pal, take my advice just head down to the station with a mate and a flatbed trailer and drive the thing out of there. Once the impound fee has been paid they cant stop you taking the car home, they cant hold onto it for any kind of silly inspection and if they tell you they can theyre bluffing. Tell them you'll be speaking to a solicitor if they wont let you take it and they'll cop on fairly lively. When youre done make a complaint to the garda ombudsman.

And I dont care what people on this thread are saying, everyone I know has driven a car at some stage with no tax, legal or illegal when you buy a new car it happens and its not a big deal its a common sense issue for 99% of decent gardai out there.

not if the car is mechanically defective with bald tyres, no. is that a difficult concept to grasp?

what is wrong with you??? its not mechanically defective, a tyre can be changed, and this happened yesterday. is that difficult for you to grasp?
    this thread should be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Has there ever been 3 people banned for personal abuse in the same thread on the Motors forum before :(

I don't like Mondays and I don't like bannings but Price of a Pint is going on a vacation until new years eve.

Now keep it civil, folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

so every one that gets a new car and is waiting for the logbook shouldnt be on the road? !

No they shouldnt. It's the law.

theres generally a tolerance among the gards but it's still a law.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I don't like Mondays and I don't like bannings but Price of a Pint is going on a vacation until new years eve.

Now keep it civil, folks...
    thank you, and i apologise for what i said to him, but he got to me.

Stekelly wrote: »

Have you done it before because I have on the 9-10 or so cars ive owned in the past and will keep doing it in the future. Ive never heard a judge prosecute someone for something like this either. Its a serious flaw in our system and everyone knows it. Here comes the cavalry...

Stekelly wrote: »

i got stopped a few times when i bought other cars and i explained that i only bought the car and they let me on my way, and just so ye know, i got pulled over by the traffic core in tuam during the weekand they were sound to me, they had a look at the car and said that i needed to sort out the numberplates because the numbers were too small, and they let me on my way. i got new number plates for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have you done it before because I have on the 9-10 or so cars ive owned in the past and will keep doing it in the future. Ive never heard a judge prosecute someone for something like this either. Its a serious flaw in our system and everyone knows it. Here comes the cavalry...

What has the amount of people that break a law go tto do with the fact that a law exists.

I currently have never had a fine or points for speedign or not haveing tax. I have driven for short periods with no tax and i do go over the speed limit. If/when I am caught I wont be under any illusions that it's my own fault and I certainly wont be whinging about it.

People take the piss completely with tax tbh. They see the general toleranc eand try to push it. I have no problems with Gards doing their jobs and punishing law breakers.

Have you done it before because I have on the 9-10 or so cars ive owned in the past and will keep doing it in the future.

There's a little tear off part of the change of ownership form that the seller signs and dates to say the car has changed ownership...but it is true that you MUST at ALL times have the car you are driving on a public road taxed

the majority of travellers dont have tax on their vans, they dont get their vans confiscated, until guards do everybody for tax, anybody done has every right to be pissed off

what is wrong with you??? its not mechanically defective, a tyre can be changed, and this happened yesterday. is that difficult for you to grasp?
    this thread should be closed

don't start a thread if you don't to hear what people have to say. some of us reckon you deserve whatever they throw at you, if you had enough cop on to drive, behave and own a car properly you wouldn't have any hassle. other people reckon you're a martyr to the cause of slightly scummy cars. such is life.

don't start a thread if you don't to hear what people have to say. some of us reckon you deserve whatever they throw at you, if you had enough cop on to drive, behave and own a car properly you wouldn't have any hassle. other people reckon you're a martyr to the cause of slightly scummy cars. such is life.

rubbish, if thats the case every car on the road is "slightly scummy" if you tar everybody with the same brush.
    car enthusiasts are not scum, who do you go to when you need a head re-skimmed or a CV joint replaced??do you call him a scummer??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I am aware of the topic.....there was also talk of exhausts attracting attention...thats why OP got pulled.....New Years Resolution.....STICK TO THE TOPIC STICK TO THE TOPIC STICK TO THE TOPIC STICK TO THE TOPIC :D

• Advertisement

other people reckon you're a martyr to the cause of slightly scummy cars. such is life.

I know people that drive this type of car, but don't conform to the stereotype, fair enough they're able to spell and punctuate; but that doesn't mean everyone who drives one is a scumbag:D

Advertisement