Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gaurds took my car

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

kona wrote: »
    rubbish, if thats the case every car on the road is "slightly scummy" if you tar everybody with the same brush.
    car enthusiasts are not scum, who do you go to when you need a head re-skimmed or a CV joint replaced??do you call him a scummer??

i'm a car enthusiast but i never have trouble with the gardai. if i get pulled over i'm courteous and never give them any excuse to question my car or myself. this applies to everything from a micra to an Evo vii. i do most of the work on my cars myself, your assumption that a scummy car makes for a scummy person is a bit of a leap. calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

who do you go to when you need a head re-skimmed or a CV joint replaced??do you call him a scummer??

no because the guy that does that is more likely to drive a Berlingo van than a Skyline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

ive seen a golf doing wheelspins, doughnuts, all sorts of stuff i wouldnt.
    do you realise not all saxos and puntos and corsas are 1litre.
    most come in 1.8 or 2l sports versions, some may have turbos.
    very quick cars.
    and do you know you can get a V6 golf???
    yes some have 1l noisy engines but, whats the difference in noise between a 1l punto which youd bitch about, but if the neighbour got a ferrari, youd be on the compliment train:confused:

2ltr Saxo?? :confused:

Most "boy racers" that im aware of drive sub 1.6ltr cars.
    I am aware of the v6 golf......
    As for the "ive seen the golf do donuts" remark........im sure you have, Just not in graet numbers...

ninty9er wrote: »
    I know people that drive this type of car, but don't conform to the stereotype, fair enough they're able to spell and punctuate; but that doesn't mean everyone who drives one is a scumbag:D

that's exactly my point. if i chose to drive a glanza and got pulled over for something minor, i'd go out of my way to behave because i know i'd only be bringing trouble on myself by being a smartarse. if i had a glanza in the first place i wouldn't leave the house without every disc, bearing and lamp in order. this applies to any car that tends to attract attention, people have to accept what comes with owning one.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

i'm a car enthusiast but i never have trouble with the gardai. if i get pulled over i'm courteous and never give them any excuse to question my car or myself. this applies to everything from a micra to an Evo vii. i do most of the work on my cars myself, your assumption that a scummy car makes for a scummy person is a bit of a leap. calm down.
    so how do you come to the conclusion im scum, i didnt get stopped because of my exhaust, did you not see my original post???! your a car enthusiast? thats great, your coments are stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

no because the guy that does that is more likely to drive a Berlingo van than a Skyline

prob still a car enthusiast, he aint gunna log around crappy car parts in a skyline tbh:D unless hes a nutter

monster1 wrote: »
    so how do you come to the conclusion im scum, i didnt get stopped because of my exhaust, did you not see my original post???! your a car enthusiast? thats great, your coments are stupid!

i didn't suggest that you are scum, nor did i make any reference to exhausts. please read, then think, then reread, then post. best to avoid hysterics.

i referred to "scummy cars" which is what many people, and many gardai, think of skylines, evos, glanzas, gtis and anything else unusual or suped. you have to accept that if people have a preconception of you or your car, you have to be ready to deal with the consequences. whether or not you think this is fair is irrelevant. if you're grown up enough to buy a car, you have to be grown up enough to deal with it.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    2ltr Saxo?? :confused:

Most "boy racers" that im aware of drive sub 1.6ltr cars.
    I am aware of the v6 golf......
    As for the "ive seen the golf do donuts" remark........im sure you have, Just not in graet numbers...

you can get a peugot 206 in a 2litre, similar weight cars .
    i think the max a saxo is a 1.6 or a 1.8
    you can get upto 180bhp out of a 1.6
    naturally aspirated the toyota BZ engines but out 160+bhp.
    thats a significant amount of power from a 1.6.
    sorry im around alot of these "boy racers" most are from 1.6 v-tec up to 2.5-3.0 turbo or even twin turbo. some are total muppets behind a wheel but others are well educated and very sensible.

im not sure but id say youd get a 2l 206 engine in a saxo?? a few mods of course!!

you can get a peugot 206 in a 2litre, similar weight cars .
    i think the max a saxo is a 1.6 or a 1.8
    you can get upto 180bhp out of a 1.6
    naturally aspirated the toyota BZ engines but out 160+bhp.
    thats a significant amount of power from a 1.6.
    sorry im around alot of these "boy racers" most are from 1.6 v-tec up to 2.5-3.0 turbo or even twin turbo. some are total muppets behind a wheel but others are well educated and very sensible.

im not sure but id say youd get a 2l 206 engine in a saxo?? a few mods of course!!

1.6 is biggest Saxo...180bhp saxo??? not alot of them around:p
    I agree , jap imports do tend to be small with high bhp....mainly due to Japans tax bands and street racing culture.
    Ive seen a jap import galanza fresh off the boat with titanium inners and other serious mods....it was quite quick but it went pop in the end.
    Walkin around used car lotts in Osaka a while ago it was hard to find an unmodified performance car.
    One thing i have noticed is that some dealers bring in skylines, galanzas but register them with smaller or non turbo engines so "boy racer" can get cheap tax/insurance.
    I believe this practice is quite common
    I was offered a evo 6 some years ago by a dealer in Dublin port....he said "we can register it as a lancer 1.8 for you if you want"...needless to say i wasnt to impressed and went elsewhere.
    You a correct....alot of "boy racer" cars are well driven.....unfortunetly alot are not.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    1.6 is biggest Saxo...180bhp saxo??? not alot of them around:p
    I agree , jap imports do tend to be small with high bhp....mainly due to Japans tax bands and street racing culture.
    Ive seen a jap import galanza fresh off the boat with titanium inners and other serious mods....it was quite quick but it went pop in the end.
    Walkin around used car lotts in Osaka a while ago it was hard to find an unmodified performance car.
    One thing i have noticed is that some dealers bring in skylines, galanzas but register them with smaller or non turbo engines so "boy racer" can get cheap tax/insurance.
    I believe this practice is quite common
    I was offered a evo 6 some years ago by a dealer in Dublin port....he said "we can register it as a lancer 1.8 for you if you want"...needless to say i wasnt to impressed and went elsewhere.
    You a correct....alot of "boy racer" cars are well driven.....unfortunetly alot are not.

nah the frenchies couldnt get 180bhp out of a 1.6!!!
    the japs do tho!
    but ye i do agree, the jap import scene is well dodgy, i see alot of these characters in work, i wouldnt buy a bottle of coke off em!!!
    they are only out for a quick buck, its easy money though, youd bring a altezza in for 10g all in , and sell it for 12 or 13 g. same with classic minis, ive seen those babies com in for 3,000 and are sold on carzone for 6,5g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

don't start a thread if you don't to hear what people have to say. some of us reckon you deserve whatever they throw at you, if you had enough cop on to drive, behave and own a car properly you wouldn't have any hassle. other people reckon you're a martyr to the cause of slightly scummy cars. such is life.

why do i deserve whats coming to me? because i drive a silvia?? that doesn't make any sense, and who is questioning my ability to own, drive a car properly? and i know i will get attention from gardai, not get my car taken though, my original post was are they allowed to sieze it?

nah the frenchies couldnt get 180bhp out of a 1.6!!!
    the japs do tho!
    but ye i do agree, the jap import scene is well dodgy, i see alot of these characters in work, i wouldnt buy a bottle of coke off em!!!
    they are only out for a quick buck, its easy money though, youd bring a altezza in for 10g all in , and sell it for 12 or 13 g. same with classic minis, ive seen those babies com in for 3,000 and are sold on carzone for 6,5g

Yep...i wouldnt touch a jap import without a couple of independent profesional opinions on it first.
    So am i to take it that your in the motor industry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Maybe we should ask the OP his age too, see if that had anything to do with the Guards pulling him over in the first place. And if he had a baseball cap on, Celtic jersey on, drivers seater in a near-horizontal position, ****ty music blasting on the stereo etc etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Well Twosheds,

You may not like baseball caps, Celtic jerseys or low seat positions, but none of these is illegal (unless it was interfering with ability to drive safely) and should be of no concern to the guards.

A bald tyre is illegal, and while the guards may have been within their rights, confiscation does seem somewhat extreme. Would they have doen the same for a nice middle class lady in a mid-range Mercedes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

blackbox wrote: »
    Well Twosheds,

You may not like baseball caps, Celtic jerseys or low seat positions, but none of these is illegal (unless it was interfering with ability to drive safely) and should be of no concern to the guards.

A bald tyre is illegal, and while the guards may have been within their rights, confiscation does seem somewhat extreme. Would they have doen the same for a nice middle class lady in a mid-range Mercedes?

I was more making the point that the OP was driving a car which increases his chances of being noticed by the guards and so should have checked the car more thoroughly before driving it around.

As for the middle class lady in a Merc, she almost certainly would not have been stopped and if she was she definitely wouldn't have had the car confiscated, she'd be told to sort it out immediately.

Life isn't fair folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Seriously pal, why would you make a crazy statement like this????
    Read the road traffic act

who is questioning my ability to own, drive a car properly?

i am. if you didn't have enough sense to notice that your car is driving on an illegal tyre i'd question your ability to own and run a car properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

i am. if you didn't have enough sense to notice that your car is driving on an illegal tyre i'd question your ability to own and run a car properly.

Yeh, but i think the issue here is that the Gardai should treat everyone the same. If i get stopped i would get let off with alot more than a guy driving a 1Litre Polo with a body kit and 'no fear' sticker on the back window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

OP, I sympathise with you. Personally I dislike modified cars, but then again I also dislike a Daewoo Matiz. :D But I do believe that if you were driving a more "sensible" car like a Focus or Golf, let's say, that they probably wouldn't have taken the car off you, and that is what I think is bullsh*t, it shouldn't be one rule for one person and another for somebody else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What a sad thread. Bitterness is literally pouring from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

no, wasnt defective, it wasnt brand new either, its only going bald on one side so id say its the tracking, so they are allowed to take in your car? he said he is getting the psv to look at it.

This may sound silly, but doesn't the PSV officer deal primarily with taxis/hackneys? So, were you by any chance taxiing?

The garda you got must have been bull thick to lift the car. Could you not have suggested to them that you change the wheel with the balding tyre there and then (as in put the spare on) if that was the main issue? They're usually pretty fair about giving a grace period for newly purchased cars when it comes to tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Fey! wrote: »
    They're usually pretty fair about giving a grace period for newly purchased cars when it comes to tax.

Four weeks is not newly purchased though. I think there may be more to this than meets the eye. For one thing, is the OP in a small rural community?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

OP, I certainly hope you got proof off them they were gardai! Know of lots of stories of people chancing their arm to get cars.

Back on OT, 4 weeks without tax, yes they can take the car. Bald tyre, but 3 other perfect tyres, seems a little harsh. Possible it was a combination of things? I know that if you were in a more "subtle" car, you probably would have been fine. What was the garda's generally conversation with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

monster1, here's the deal

Thanks to the antics of "boy racers", cars like yours have a certain stigma attached to them. You'll have to admit that. Choosing to drive that car will therefore, rightly or wrongly be more likely to attract the attention of Gardaí.

Why?

Well, they spend a lot of time dealing with the type of little attention-seeking hoodlums that drive these cars.

Now you may be a model driver, you may in fact be the most caring and considerate driver on the island but your car attracts attention.

So, imagine this scenario:
    Mr Garda, spots your car...he pulls you over just to check out the car. He says to himself "Ah, sure this lad might be a scummer or he might be a grand lad altogether".

He looks at the car and spies no tax disc (Grand lad 0, Scummer 1). He asks you to explain and he seems to think your explanation might be okay, he's verging on telling you to be on your way.

All of a sudden he spots the baldy tire (Grand lad 0, Scummer 2). You say "Ah by the Holy Jesus, sure I'll take meself to the tire centre now and have it replaced...Inspector!"

He thinks "Oh ho, this boyo is spinning me a yarn now so he is! Sure haven't I heard that line many's the time before now, and I know I'll be seeing him next week with his no tax disc and his baldy tire and him grinning at me from ear to ear having made a fool of me!"

So Mr Garda decides that it'd be best to take you off the road for a while. You see, he doesn't know you from Adam and for all he knows you could be a right crafty little tyke, telling him what he wants to hear so he'll let you go!

That's the deal I'm afraid.

Now, having read your thread I see that you say you've been stopped by the cops a good few times. That is unusual, even for the type of car you are driving. Are you already known to the cops in your area? Has your car had a previous owner who was always "helping police with their enquiries"? Or (no way of putting this tactfully) are you the kind of person whose driving attracts the attention of the gardaí?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

r3nu4l wrote: »
    monster1, here's the deal

"Ah, sure this lad might be a scummer or he might be a grand lad altogether".

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Read the road traffic act

I have and nowhere does it say you can be fined €80 on the spot for having a"noisy" exhaust. Its a completely made up statement on your part. they can however summons you upon which a judge will throw the case out when it gets to court.

Make sure your facts are straight if your going to throw crazy statements like that around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

A bald tyre is illegal, and while the guards may have been within their rights, confiscation does seem somewhat extreme.
    The Garda may well have saved the life of the driver and others.
    Would they have doen the same for a nice middle class lady in a mid-range Mercedes?
    I'd doubt if even a second-hand Mercedes dealership would let a car out in such a poor condition.

We really should have some sympathy for the OP. He's been sold a car that after a few weeks of just driving to the shops has developed a serious safety fault. Hopefully, the Gardai's assessment of the car might help him get a refund.

Im just going to make a couple of points.

1. If anybody on here was treated like this by a gardai no matter what car he drove he would be seriously annoyed and justifiably so. He couldnt tax his car because he had no logbook and the inside edge of one of his tyres was bald, hard to spot and easily overseen. Does that warrant the car being taken? If that happened to me his superintendent would be getting call or id be getting a firend in the gardai to pursue the situation and see what this guys deal was.

2. Why are people associating the siliva with "boyracer" riced up cars? Its nothing of the sort, its a 240+bhp rwd car marketed towards the mature coupe buyer in the 90's, they came fully loaded with climate control, full leather in most uk models, full electric pack, heated seats etc. Just take a look at these pics

Carthy2.jpg

Carthy1.jpg

869398_20071217121235_7.jpg

869398_20071217121236_8.jpg

Hardly a boyracer mobile to be honest. I think henry ford is right, some serious jealousy and begrudgery going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Im just going to make a couple of points.

1. He couldnt tax his car because he had no logbook and the inside edge of one of his tyres was bald, hard to spot and easily overseen. Does that warrant the car being taken?

If he couldn't tax it and the tax is out the so is driving it on a public road

FACT

I know someone who bought a megane 2 weeks ago, got it home and it's been sitting in the driveway since while she's been waiting to tax it....hopefully sometime in January.

• Advertisement

If he couldn't tax it and the tax is out the so is driving it on a public road

FACT

Watch out! Here comes the anal PC brigade led by ninty9er...FACT!

Advertisement