Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

gaurds took my car

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Watch out! Here comes the anal PC brigade led by ninty9er...FACT!

Indeed, got a problem with it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

I have and nowhere does it say you can be fined €80 on the spot for having a"noisy" exhaust.
    Believe what you want
    Its a completely made up statement on your part.
    And my reason or gain for making it up???. A senior garda told me.Believe what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

monster1 wrote: »
    when are the gaurds allowed to take a car off you? my front tyre was in need of replacing, i have a sylvia, he made me pop the bonnet and everyhing.seen there was an airfilter, he said thats a modified engine! i have the insurance told what is done to the car, its a bloody joke, i wouldnt mind buti dont be going around "lapping" around the town, was just going into the shop

Did the guards drive it away when they took it off you. If it wasn't roadwordy because of a bald tyre they are also committing a road traffic offence and a good solicitor would probabley get you off in court if it goes that far!

If it wasn't roadwordy because of a bald tyre they are also committing a road traffic offence
    Are they? I don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Are they? I don't think so

Most judges apply the same rules of the road for the gardai . Unroadwordy means unroadwordy for anyone including the guards. Should have been lifted on a truck !

• Advertisement

dak wrote: »
    Most judges apply the same rules of the road for the gardai . Unroadwordy means unroadwordy for anyone including the guards. Should have been lifted on a truck !
    maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Believe what you want
    And my reason or gain for making it up???. A senior garda told me.Believe what you want

Proof in the pudding that most gardai dont have a clue what theyre talking about. You told me to read the road traffic act, go away and do it yourself and dont bother making incorrect statements without any foundation. There is no fixed penalties for modified exhaust offences anywhere in the Road traffic act or any other legislation in this country. I think your garda friend was getting mixed up with uk legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

its a 240+bhp rwd car marketed towards the mature coupe buyer in the 90's

That's a fairly rarified market, I'd say. How many people in their 90's would even be driving? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

The guy had a bald tyre, the guard could have told him to sort it and produce the car at the station in 2 days to show the tyre had been replaced. Granted the tax was out, but its not his fault he could not tax it as he did not get the papers. People get up on their high horses far too easily here. No one is perfect,and even if they guy has a loud exhaust, it would not cause an issue unless its a ridiculous straight through system if he does not rag it though residential areas. My last car had a modified exhaust, it was not too loud though, just a bit of a hum when driven at the higher revs. I never drove it like a clown through a residential area. I am not standing up for guys in buckets of civics with overly loud exhausts and causing excessive noise through refusing to change up a gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Yep...i wouldnt touch a jap import without a couple of independent profesional opinions on it first.
    So am i to take it that your in the motor industry?

-ish, i work in a well known motorfactors. I also do alot of my own work on my cars and 2 of my mates are mechanics, one on busses the other on high end cars. So i kinda know alot of these boy racer lads, and ive heard stories of them crashing that are scary to say the least, one was almost decapitated by a cable, lucky he had a thick A-pillar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So op, did you try to get your car back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

didnt read all four pages.

but if the tyre was scrubbing on one side and partially bald, why didnt you tell him you'd fit the spare there and then?

problem solved surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GS.ie

Section 41 of the road traffic act empowers the gardai to "seize" any vehicle where the tax is out by eight or more weeks. It used to be thirteen weeks, and many gardai were caught on the hop when the rules changed recently. Section 41 was brought it to stop scrots buying cars from the knac*ers for €50 and driving them around. Your experience is unusal as most gardai will do a "sale date" check on the garda computer over the radio and confirm if you are the registered owner. You may have failed the "attitude test" on a number of fronts but as we were not there to witness the event. I hope the info here helps.

Proof in the pudding that most gardai dont have a clue what theyre talking about. You told me to read the road traffic act, go away and do it yourself and dont bother making incorrect statements without any foundation. There is no fixed penalties for modified exhaust offences anywhere in the Road traffic act or any other legislation in this country. I think your garda friend was getting mixed up with uk legislation.

Believe what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

dak wrote: »

Probably was unroadworthy as well. ;)
    Bald tyres are baaaad news I know, I've driven on them! Wouldn't be happy if the cops lifted the car off me, but would they be wrong?
    Not at all. They are acting in the public interest, that includes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Believe what you want

Pride comes before a fall pal, you were wrong and too arrogant to admit it.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2006/A2306.pdf

Well looky here not a mention of fixed penalty offences for modified exhausts in the Road Traffic Bill 2006, does this mean your Garda friend is right and the law is wrong???

Here's a full list of fixed penalties under Irish road traffic legislation, alas no sign of any fixed €80 euro penalty for modified exhausts

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7424-1.pdf

Maybe you might want to show all this to your garda friend so he can start doing his job properly...or maybe yourself and himself will just go on your merry way ignorant to the law.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Tony Danza wrote: »
    OP, I sympathise with you. Personally I dislike modified cars, but then again I also dislike a Daewoo Matiz. :D But I do believe that if you were driving a more "sensible" car like a Focus or Golf, let's say, that they probably wouldn't have taken the car off you, and that is what I think is bullsh*t, it shouldn't be one rule for one person and another for somebody else.

Perhaps the view is that drivers of modified/non-standard vehicles are much more aware of the needs of a vehicle seeing as they spend their time tweaking the exhaust, the seats, the stereo, the blue lights on the valve caps and therefore they have a better idea of what is expected to be present on a roadworthy car ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

There are no fixed penalty for a loud exhaust. These normally go to court if pursued by the cop, and the judge will issue a fine at his descretion.

Advertisement