Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Comedians Ever???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

steve wright us brilliant allright, he is billy connolly's favourite stand up (he used 2 of steves jokes in his new act- said they were steves tho, he didnt steal them) you cant get a much better review today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dermot Morgan.

I think it might be a generation gap. I have his 'Live' DVD and while its very funny there are quite a few bits that go over my head, ie: some of the political humour is fairly outdated at this point and I just don't recognise some of the references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Jimmy Carr, Jack Dee, Dermot Morgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I actually find Bill Hicks more educating than funny. Never found myself laughing out loud during his shows, but his opinions were very entertaining.

I agree Mitch Hedberg is/was one of the best. Id also give honourable mentions to Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran (more of a personal favourite - have met him a couple of times).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Archimedes wrote: »
    I actually find Bill Hicks more educating than funny. Never found myself laughing out loud during his shows, but his opinions were very entertaining.

I agree Mitch Hedberg is/was one of the best. Id also give honourable mentions to Eddie Izzard and Dylan Moran (more of a personal favourite - have met him a couple of times).

This is a fair point. Hicks was a very intelligent and educated/educating man, I just never found myself laughing out loud at him.

• Advertisement

yeah hicks stand up was more of a lecture, but he still imo has a good few brilliantly funny moments which did make me laugh out loud, but all of which still had a political and/or humanitarian view point which differed him from alot of comedians who would just say funny things without meaning or feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Ross Noble -For engaging with audience
    Jimmy Carr - For wit (8/10 Cats etc.), don't like his standup
    Dara O Brien - For engaging with the audience
    Mitch Hedberg - Brilliant one liners (I got a candle holder.. a cake)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Lenny Bruce.
    His humour does seem dated now, but he paved the way for political and sociological satire which very often broached tabboo subjects.

Many have mentioned Bill Hicks (he's my number 2), but would he have even gotten into comedy if it hadn't been for Lenny Bruce? Obviously nobody can answer that question, but I think it's doubtful that he would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

katt williams, dave chappelle , chris rock , tommy tiernan , richard pyror, eddie murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

steve wright us brilliant allright, he is billy connolly's favourite stand up

Would never have imagined that Steven Wright was Billy Connelly's favourite comedian because imo they have very different styles.
    I like Steven Wright's stuff but tbh i never understood the Billy Connelly "best comic ever" tag.

Have to agree that from what i've seen of Bill Hicks i would've appreciated his refreshing/no bull$hit style and searingly honest opinions first and foremost more than anything else about him.

Others:
    Steven Wright
    Stewart Lee
    Ricky Gervais

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Lucy Lambourne

The answer of course...is Mitch Hedberg

The answer of course...is Mitch Hedberg

+1 here here!!

vote for him in the stand up comedy showdown! he is up to 10th but is being beaten by some wasters who dont deserve to hold the same mic as him! http://www.comedycentral.com/events/susd/index.jhtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

+1 here here!!

vote for him in the stand up comedy showdown! he is up to 10th but is being beaten by some wasters who dont deserve to hold the same mic as him! http://www.comedycentral.com/events/susd/index.jhtml

agree with the 2 above. Mitch Hedberg is the funniest comedian ever! His delivery is second to none and his jokes are timeless. such a talented man. Very sad that he is no longer with us.

www.mitchhedberg.net
    www.hedburgh.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Bill Bailey. Hands down. And he and my friend are identical, beard and all

Jay P wrote: »
    Bill Bailey. Hands down. And he and my friend are identical, beard and all

HUMAN SLAVES....IN AN INSECT NATION....OOOH AW WOAH WOAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Des bishop does it for me everytime. looking forward to his new show this weekend. hope it's a good one. not seen him in a few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Got the Dara O'Briain DVD knocked down at Golden Discs. Decided to take a chance. Fantastic. Thought I'd wet myself when he started on about baguettes. Saw it coming a mile off but the delivery....

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Billy Connelly by a long shot.

There can be only one king of stand up

The Big Yin

Billy Connolly - Reasons For Swearing

"swearing is bad use of good language, now F*** off"

roadruner wrote: »
    There can be only one king of stand up

The Big Yin

Billy Connolly - Reasons For Swearing

"swearing is bad use of good language, now F*** off"

and he's coming to ireland!! :D

and he's coming to ireland!! :D

seriously, when dude ??

oh man now thats something i'll be looking forward to !!!!

• Advertisement

seriously, when dude ??

oh man now thats something i'll be looking forward to !!!!

he is playing in june but thats all id be allowed say tbh! (its one of those forbidden to mention gigs) youd have to check it up from that site that sells tickets! (dont think your allowed mention them either)

he is playing in june but thats all id be allowed say tbh! (its one of those forbidden to mention gigs) youd have to check it up from that site that sells tickets! (dont think your allowed mention them either)

Your spot on i've checked that unmentionable site about the unmentionable dates in those unmentionable places LOL
    I'll be there with my banana feet on :-)
    will you?

Your spot on i've checked that unmentionable site about the unmentionable dates in those unmentionable places LOL
    I'll be there with my banana feet on :-)
    will you?

hell yes i will! theres not many comedian left on my "HAVE to see" list, but he is one of them definatley! (infact he may be the only "HAVE TO" see one i have left)

hell yes i will! theres not many comedian left on my "HAVE to see" list, but he is one of them definatley! (infact he may be the only "HAVE TO" see one i have left)

Damn right !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

richard pryor-past
    billy connely-present

pecker1992 wrote: »
    richard pryor-past
    billy connely-present

Yeah Richard Pryor was something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Mine would be

Mitch Hedberg and Dom Irrera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Showing my age here, but - Dave Allen (RIP) had that inherent funniness that made you want to crack up as soon as you saw him.

Also +1 for Bill Hicks - great material, impeccable delivery, with some seriously thought-provoking social commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The one and only, Big Yin.

I finally got my ticket today to see him for the first time EVER!! Can't wait. "Prostate" & "Ibiza" are two of his funniest stories ever. Classic. His stories are much better than his joke telling, imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Big fan of Al Murray The Pub Landlord, have seen him now a few times live, brilliant imo.

Advertisement