Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

parking ON speed bumps

Options
  • 16-12-2007 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

what the hell is the story with idiots doing this when there are plenty of safer places to park???:mad::mad:
    especially on roads where the bumps are 4 lumps across a road.??
    i always go over with the sump inbetween the two lumps as my car sits really low and the sump is quite close to the ground already, also i wouldnt say that it is too healthy for the cars with higher ride height and wider wheelbase to drive over them, it put all sorts of forces on the suspension/steering joints.
    but anyway these muppets(funnily mostly 4x4s the santa fe owner seems to be the main culprit) force me to go onto the opposite side of the road, or in the event of oncoming traffic, stop and wait.
    also is there a set height and degree of elevation for these ramps, as some of them are a disgrace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kona wrote: »
    especially on roads where the bumps are 4 lumps across a road.??

I've always wondered what's the point of speed bumps that people just drive around and miss the bumps.
    Seems pointless imo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

micmclo wrote: »
    I've always wondered what's the point of speed bumps that people just drive around and miss the bumps.
    Seems pointless imo

to destroy a mini;) any other car takes the mick and drives straight over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

what the hell is the story with idiots doing this when there are plenty of safer places to park???:mad::mad:....funnily mostly 4x4s the santa fe owner seems to be the main culprit)
    The speed bump makes for a shorter step out of their vehicle.:D

Tomas_V wrote: »
    The speed bump makes for a shorter step out of their vehicle.:D

:D:D:D including the little step bar at the side i suppose it equates to a stairway to insanity:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

it's convenient for busses, but more importantly for ambulances and other emergency vehicles.

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

wouldnt a busses wheelbase be too long??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

the "speed cushions" are usually wider in most countries than Ireland; they're designed for emergency vehicles, which are usually wide, to get over easily. They also catch out people who are driving fast and paying no attention to the road ahead.

SDCC are the worst offenders for ones that are so narrow as to be entirely pointless, I've found.

so not only do they annoy the hell out of me, these gob****es are ctually obstructing emergency vehicles:mad::mad:
    why dont the guards just rape these muppets with tickets??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

wouldnt a busses wheelbase be too long??

how would the length of a bus matter when they pass over speedbumps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I reckon Kona meant too wide, not too long

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

so not only do they annoy the hell out of me, these gob****es are ctually obstructing emergency vehicles:mad::mad:

Don't think it's illegal....maybe you should get the sump checked on your car if it's that low though...unless it's a McLaren F1 and then there's no hope!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Don't think it's illegal....maybe you should get the sump checked on your car if it's that low though...unless it's a McLaren F1 and then there's no hope!

its a mini, and its lowered, the gearbox is in the sump so it kinda hangs down more!
    all minis are the same

micmclo wrote: »
    I reckon Kona meant too wide, not too long

thanks mic, its wide not long:D:D

its a mini, and its lowered, the gearbox is in the sump so it kinda hangs down more!
    all minis are the same

I see:o:o It may be less hassle in the long run to have the lowereing work undone!

I see:o:o It may be less hassle in the long run to have the lowereing work undone!

:o:o hassle, could do, but id rather people cop on, and park properly, i spend hours on my car, i like it the way it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The same should apply to muppets who cross onto the wrong side of the road to avoid a single lane speed bump!!!

DonJose wrote: »
    The same should apply to muppets who cross onto the wrong side of the road to avoid a single lane speed bump!!!

will you please read the post properly???:rolleyes:so do you want me to rip the sump off my car and cause a oil slick, a mess, a traffic jam etc etc???
    plus its a broken white line so, i can do it if i want:D
    and i dont avoid the bumps , i just need a gap for the sump to fit through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Maybe thats why theres so many fcuking fools driving round town in SUV's
    :cool:

will you please read the post properly???:rolleyes:so do you want me to rip the sump off my car and cause a oil slick, a mess, a traffic jam etc etc???
    plus its a broken white line so, i can do it if i want:D
    and i dont avoid the bumps , i just need a gap for the sump to fit through.

so dependingon where the sump is under the bonnet, doesn't that mean that you either have to mount the kerb or take to the opposite side of the road....if a) the these people are doing the rest of us a service by parking on the bumps, if b) fair enough the people in the SUVs shouldn't be causing you any hassle.

• Advertisement

Maybe thats why theres so many fcuking fools driving round town in SUV's
    :cool:

probably is, its the only time id even slightly consider one!!:D
    then they park on them, so they can be a danger even when not in use!!:D

so dependingon where the sump is under the bonnet, doesn't that mean that you either have to mount the kerb or take to the opposite side of the road....if a) the these people are doing the rest of us a service by parking on the bumps, if b) fair enough the people in the SUVs shouldn't be causing you any hassle.

no i dont mount the kerb because thats illegal and stupid, and would probably wreck the car, the alloys and god knows what else, if i need to do it 5,6,7 times down a road.
    the sump sits directly in the centre of the car as you look straight on, so i have to go one wheel on one bump and another wheel on another bump. with the dip in the sentre of the car as i drive over.
    and if everybody in this country followed the rules of the road and had basic road manners there would be nobody causing hassle, but unfortnatly.............

no i dont mount the kerb because thats illegal and stupid, and would probably wreck the car, the alloys and god knows what else, if i need to do it 5,6,7 times down a road.
    the sump sits directly in the centre of the car as you look straight on, so i have to go one wheel on one bump and another wheel on another bump. with the dip in the sentre of the car as i drive over

You mean there are peopl who actuall park over the WHOLE f*ing bump....now that's a whole different story!!!

jaysus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Ah in fairness they're deadly.
    But If you don't own a farm or a 2 axle trailer you should get rode with tax.
    They should never be brought inside the m50 except in agricultural emergencies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

the sump sits directly in the centre of the car as you look straight on, so i have to go one wheel on one bump and another wheel on another bump. with the dip in the sentre of the car as i drive over.
    and if everybody in this country followed the rules of the road and had basic road manners there would be nobody causing hassle, but unfortnatly.............

So you basically drive in the middle of the road to get over the speed bump, is that correct?

You mean there are peopl who actuall park over the WHOLE f*ing bump....now that's a whole different story!!!

jaysus!!

yup!! on the whole bump, when 5m behind and infront it could park nice and easy, and not causing a obstruction, its really annoying.
    and yes if one of these plonkers is parked in such a way, i have to pretty much drive dead centre on the road, provided its clear of course, it a mini so , the suspension is rubber cones, youve to take it real easy over the bumps or else youl, get some shock up your spine!

yup!! on the whole bump, when 5m behind and infront it could park nice and easy, and not causing a obstruction, its really annoying.
    and yes if one of these plonkers is parked in such a way, i have to pretty much drive dead centre on the road, provided its clear of course, it a mini so , the suspension is rubber cones, youve to take it real easy over the bumps or else youl, get some shock up your spine!

It was about 15 years since I'd been in a Mini up to last month and jaysus I forgot how small they are inside and how stiff the suspension is. my head was thumping after 2 tiny little speed ramps

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How do you manage the speed bumps across the whole road? And why can't you drive with one wheel on the bump and the other on the road, the sump shouldn't catch then. And if it does then the car properly ain't road legal, if we had any laws for that;)

Maybe the people are parking outside their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Don't think it's illegal
    It depends on how the Gardaí interpret this rule: A vehicle shall not be parked—....( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Maybe you should write to your TD and complain about these eejits parking in such a way as to actually increase the effectiveness of speed ramps. If their inconsiderate ways are causing you to lose time navigating them, that's just not on.

Advertisement