Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bathroom waste pipe plumbing

Options
  • 16-12-2007 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

in the new year ill be renovating and moderising my existing bathroom which is in the downstairs front of the house. the pipe from the loo currently is in the floor about a foot from the side wall and about 6 inches from the other wall so its nearly in the corner of the bathroom but not quite. i want it in the corner as ill be bringing a waste pipe from the new bathroom upstairs trough the ceiling of the downstairs loo and into a new hole in the corner of the downstairs bathroom and i want to tee into that for the downstairs loo and fit a corner style toilet. i suspect that the pipes from the existing loo to the mains sewer are of the clay type and i was wondering when i dig out the floor and the path outside what is the best way to make a connection between the new and old pipes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Northdublin
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain04.htm
    Try this for size
    Regards
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

IMO, u can save a lot of grief by bringing the new pipe down the corner and then out to the existing pipe and box it all out accordingly.

I appreciate u may not have too much room but if u box out the corner at 45 degrees it will give u a straight surface to use a conventional toilet

depending on the setup under the floor, the physical size of the bends may not allow you fit neatly into the corner

look at multiwicks
    eg
    http://www.jobco.ie/sub-groups.aspx?gid=43&pid=76&name=Multiwick

Lust a thought based on experience:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ircoha wrote: »
    IMO, u can save a lot of grief by bringing the new pipe down the corner and then out to the existing pipe and box it all out accordingly.

I appreciate u may not have too much room but if u box out the corner at 45 degrees it will give u a straight surface to use a conventional toilet

depending on the setup under the floor, the physical size of the bends may not allow you fit neatly into the corner

look at multiwicks
    eg
    http://www.jobco.ie/sub-groups.aspx?gid=43&pid=76&name=Multiwick

Lust a thought based on experience:)

its my intention to box off the corner at 45 deg and have the box cross section wide enough to accomadate the width of a narrow type toilet. to bring the box section out at the bottom and over the existing hole which is in the floor and is not visable on the exterior is an option but frankly not a very aesthetic one but it would save me digging up half the front garden:)
    in a lot of new builds ive worked in ive seen how they box off waste pipes around the back of toilets and it does not appeal to me.im not stranger to hard work and if it means digging up the floor to make it neater then pass me the kango;) . what worries me is the level of difficulty it tapping into an existing drain......if its made of clay.

ps thanks tapest....good site.....lots of pictures, my brain works better on diagrams then text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

what worries me is the level of difficulty it tapping into an existing drain......if its made of clay.
    is why I suggest u look at the multiwick, its perfect for the clay pipes

thanks ircoha. had a quick look but couldnt see anything that would allow me to break into or join onto a clay pipe....the joint will most likely be underground outside and all i could see were internal joints from the loo to the waste. i will need some of those but at the moment im after some expertease with workin with old pipes

• Advertisement

is it acceptable to tee into a 4'' waste for a sink......ie the waste from the sink teed into the same waste used for the toilet. its a standad sink with a chrome bottle trap. thanks

Advertisement