Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UT3 PC Sells 33,995, Crysis Sells 86,633 in US in November

Options
  • 17-12-2007 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=146256
    http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=455
    1 Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360) - 1,565,404 copies
    2 Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 1,123,070 copies
    3 Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360) - 980,000 copies
    4 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS2) - 967,000 copies
    5 Wii Play (Wii) - 564,000 copies
    6 Mass Effect (Xbox 360) - 472,793 copies
    7 Call of Duty 4 (PS3) - 444,000 copies
    8 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) - 426,000 copies
    9 Halo 3 (Xbox 360) - 387,000 copies
    10 Assassin's Creed (PS3) - 376,843 copies

Crysis (PC) 86,633
    Unreal Tournament 3 (PC) 33,995

No PC games in the top ten then.

The state of the industry at the moment is such that console games invariably sell a hell of a lot more copies than PC titles, so PC game numbers will reflect that. Nevertheless, having big PC titles like UT3 and Crysis outsold by Sonic and Mario at the F*cking Olympics (328,314 copies) is a little hard to swallow. Should be interesting to see how PS3 UT compares in its first month, being as it is the crown jewel in Sony's festive line-up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's very simple and i'm surprised these bigshots at gamespy don't get it.

most expensive console atm is what max 500 euros, to get a pc capable of playing COD4, UT3 and crysis at the sort of level that a PS3/360 would play them, at least 1000 euros.

consoles will always be second rate for first person shooters nothing will change that tbh unless you hook up a mouse and keyboard and play on a decent montior, well then you're basically playing on a pc setup just without the extras a pc can do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Plus the fact that it doesnt require anything (bar some very basic computer knowledge) to pirate games. Its alot harder to do it on a console. Something had to done about piracy, but when it is, we bitch and moan that its ruining our computers (i.e. Starforce, which was a pain in the hole, was increadibly hard to crack)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PC > Console .... FACT!!!

*bring it*

doesn't surprise me though. I'd love to see the figures for how many pirated copies of those PC games have been printed or downloaded in comparison to the sales figures.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    *bring it*
    Oh god, you've started it again!! Run for the hills before the flames begin! (although hills generally have alot of trees...trees = more fire :eek:)
    L31mr0d wrote:
    doesn't surprise me though. I'd love to see the figures for how many pirated copies of those PC games have been printed or downloaded in comparison to the sales figures.
    I'd say that its a fairly high figure. Most of my friends download their games. I've also been guilty of it, although no where near as much anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have all of that top ten cept guitar hero and i have UT and crysis and mario and sonic :D

Pc + consoles = fact :)

My pc died so only playing the consoles atm.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hardware requirements I think put folks off Crysis.
    UT3 deserves low sales (and I'm a long time UT fan, from the very first to the last 3.5 years playing UT2K4 solidly), it was a Beta release with some very bad design changes to boot. I operate a UT3 Warfare server for my UT Clan and the online numbers are abysmal. We're hoping Xmas and some patching of the seemingly drug induced stupidity will help....It's been all but abandoned in it's infancy by even hardcore UT players.

KdjaCL wrote: »

kdjac
    Mine's on its last legs i think. Damn graphical artifacts popping up all over the place. Good thing theres plently of console games to keep me going till i can get some money.
    _CreeD_ wrote: »
    Hardware requirements I think put folks off Crysis.
    UT3 deserves low sales (and I'm a long time UT fan, from the very first to the last 3.5 years playing UT2K4 solidly), it was a Beta release with some very bad design changes to boot. I operate a UT3 Warfare server for my UT Clan and the online numbers are abysmal. We're hoping Xmas and some patching of the seemingly drug induced stupidity will help....It's been all but abandoned in it's infancy by even hardcore UT players.
    Well, i'll be joining (assuming my pc doent die) after christmas, and since i loved the demo, i should be online a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The demo of UT3 put me right off it. It just doesn't feel right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Same as everyone else. UT3 just didn't feel right in the demo and Crysis didn't play any better than Far Cry. These games also got quite a bashing on forums which would affect any PC games far more than a console game, the Dx9-Dx10 limbo we're in couldn't be helping either.

Anyone any idea how The Orange box sold on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I have all of that top ten cept guitar hero and i have UT and crysis and mario and sonic :D

Pc + consoles = fact :)

kdjac
    GH3 ftw!!! Got it yesterday for the wii and it's brilliant!!

As for the rest - when is the last time a PC game made the top 10? Consoles have become the front runner in the gaming market and PC gaming is seen as the more "hardcore" gaming system of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

UT3 would have had better sales if they'd put a Disk check on it, but as it is you can install it and run it sans DVD. Seems nuts to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

nipplenuts wrote: »
    UT3 would have had better sales if they'd put a Disk check on it, but as it is you can install it and run it sans DVD. Seems nuts to me!
    Very, very surprised if two people can play online using the same disc. Client side copy protection is always cracked soon after release, no point paying a company for it when you can police it on your own servers.

nipplenuts wrote: »

disk check is one of the easiest forms of protection to crack (although starforce did mess things up for around 6 months). In fact afaik, its not illegal to just make the game run without the CD in the drive, its illegal to use the S/N more than once.

Also, afaik, you can't download and play UT3 online, you can only play the single player campaign which is fairly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

maybe pc games should go down the route half-life2 took?
    I know it can be cracked or whatever , but it took time.

Its too easy to just download Pc games.. especially if there coming out before they do here and things like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Well, the results would be directly influenced by the amount of marketing that goes into the products.

Also I'm sure there is a higher percentage of the general population in the Console market than in the P.C market so that might explain why P.C games would tend not to appear that much in the top ten games in general.

I put it down to the learning curve of playing games on the PC and the non existant learning curve for playing on a console.

Someone with the IQ of a chimp could load up CoD4 on a console. But you need at least a intermediate knowledge of PC's to get the latest graphics drivers, check your disk space is free, configure the graphic settings, debug crashes, apply patchs... then there's overclocking, building PC's, knowing what hardware to get...etc

I could go on. But we usually see a lull in PC sales when a new generation of consoles get released, as, graphically, consoles suddenly become on par (ish) with PC games. Come this time next year it might be a different story with PC games once again blazing ahead of consoles technically, and consoles being left behind until there next gen is released a few years from now. (although the dorment power of the PS3 unerves me :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

maybe pc games should go down the route half-life2 took?

No, Just no.
    Having to register online to play the single player off-line game i just bought is the worst idea ever.
    HL2 got away with it because it's quite a good game and the hype machine behind it made people far too curious, but i never, ever want to have to do that again.
    I've given you my money, stop making me jump through extra hoops.

I could go on. But we usually see a lull in PC sales when a new generation of consoles get released, as, graphically, consoles suddenly become on par (ish) with PC games. Come this time next year it might be a different story with PC games once again blazing ahead of consoles technically, and consoles being left behind until there next gen is released a few years from now. (although the dormant power of the PS3 unnerves me :()

I don't know what makes you think that. In a years time buying a top range PC will still be as expensive as it is now, where as buying a ps3 or 360 will be the same, or maybe a bit cheaper.
    Yes, the much hyped "generic tech demo #4515 masquerading as a shooter" will be more shiny than anything on those two consoles, but so what?

To the majority of the games buying public, the PC is a nightmare of high expense, strange issues with things called "drivers" and "patches" and the whole thing will be obsolete in six months. And their console of choice is a simple pop-in an play.
    So, to the average person, it's cheap, easy and not that much different graphically, Vs complicated, expensive and only slightly shinier.

PC sales will always play second fiddle to the consoles.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I doubt those figures take account of download purchases somehow. COD4 for example, I bought through EA's download service. Come to think of it, I haven't bought a DVD version of a game in a long time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Really, I can see how crysis got so low ratings after getting it for pc, My system can only run it on high (And still annoyingly stutters at times) at 1024x768! COD4 on the other hand can be run on high 1680x1050 res no problem, Crysis was just poorly optomised no matter what people say, sure its done these amazing graphics to make it "futureproof" but tbh in the future will we really go back to crysis when other good games arrive? Doubhtfull except of course for online which is ok. Have completed Crysis, was a good enough shooter single player but nothing like COD4 imo, the online part of it is good though

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I put it down to the learning curve of playing games on the PC and the non existant learning curve for playing on a console.

Someone with the IQ of a chimp could load up CoD4 on a console. But you need at least a intermediate knowledge of PC's to get the latest graphics drivers, check your disk space is free, configure the graphic settings, debug crashes, apply patchs... then there's overclocking, building PC's, knowing what hardware to get...etc

lol yes he has the iq of the chimp cos he chooses not to have to do that ****.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Really poor sales on the PC front :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Cremo wrote: »
    it's very simple and i'm surprised these bigshots at gamespy don't get it.

most expensive console atm is what max 500 euros, to get a pc capable of playing COD4, UT3 and crysis at the sort of level that a PS3/360 would play them, at least 1000 euros.

consoles will always be second rate for first person shooters nothing will change that tbh unless you hook up a mouse and keyboard and play on a decent montior, well then you're basically playing on a pc setup just without the extras a pc can do.

Its nothing to do with the price of consoles vs the price of PC's, its all to do with the fact that if go to google and type in 'crysis torrent pirate bay' ill have crysis for free by the end of the day. The whole pc vs consoles argument youre trying to bring inh ere smacks of clutching at straws tbh. Its the fault of pc owners who are so used to getting everything like patches maps and mods for free that piracy is second nature for the majority of them. And yes i am a PC owner, and no, ive never downloaded a cracked game.
    If people insist on pirating PC games, this **** is going to keep happening.

searchtp2.jpg

Seriously.

lol yes he has the iq of the chimp cos he chooses not to have to do that ****.

kdjac

My point is that I don't find it ****e, I enjoy working with PC's, and find it easy. But I know a lot of my friends just want to play games and don't wish to learn anything. They view games as a way to shut their brain off. Having to think about whether their PC can handle a game or if its set up right doesn't interest them. Which is why consoles will always be more attractive to the majority.

If people could get more TV channels, better reception and cheaper prices by buying their own satellite dish, reading up about how to configure it and setting it up themselves they still wouldn't, they'd go with the easier all-in-1 solution.

A simple case in point being the number of threads seeking assistance to build a gaming pc in the building & upgrading forum, compared to the number of set up, install questions being asked in the console forum.

Plus its an unfair comparison looking at UT3, as a lot of UT2004 players view UT3 as inferior and Crysis, while technically advanced, lacks a lot in regards to game length and game play, and also can't run well on anything but the highest end systems. I'd like to see comparison sales of the console games in that list to Crysis in a year or so when more peoples machines catch up with it and the user mods and maps are at the level of Quake III. Crysis, whilst not the best singleplayer game, has a lot more longevity in regards to multiplayer due to its excellent map designer.
    0ubliette wrote: »
    searchtp2.jpg

Seriously.

good rebut there 0ubliette, really fighting the console gamers corner with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

good rebut there 0ubliette, really fighting the console gamers corner with that one.

And your argument that console gamers are all retards because they dont want to experience the joys of installing/patching/bug testing/tweaking config files/upgrading drivers just to play crysis is quite literally the greatest thing ive ever read on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

UT games are ****e now, the best was Unreal Tournment the orginal 2004 and this new one are far 2 Quakey UT was its own thing and it was great, its been a load of bollox since

0ubliette wrote: »
    And your argument that console gamers are all retards because they dont want to experience the joys of installing/patching/bug testing/tweaking config files/upgrading drivers just to play crysis is quite literally the greatest thing ive ever read on these boards.

*BOOM* Woh!!! my sarcasm detector just exploded, WTF just happened :rolleyes:

I never said Console gamers where retards. Its like assuming everyone who uses a toaster is a retard just because its easy enough to be used by a chimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

My Ma > Yore Ma .... FACT!!!

Can you provide a source?

If what matters to you is how shiney crysis is then go buy an uber-expensive piece of kit, install, patch, tune and more the power to you tbh.

I enjoy the fact that if i want to play the latest multiplatform/console exclusive game I can just pop the disc in and away I go. If i want to play multiplayer i just hop on xbox live (wii is too fiddly). There hasn't been any pc exclusive that has made me consider buying a new pc for, which may say something either about pc-console multi platform releases, quality of pc exclusive titles or my own personal taste, since my pc is about 8 years old... (except *MAYBE* TF2 but i cant justify that amount of money for just one game).

Why there is so much agro between pc and console gamers is beyond me. Maybe PC gamers feel they have to justify the enormous amounts of money they spend on a regular basis in face of consoles that are becoming more popular? Maybe console gamers dont like their faces rubbed in it when it comes to a 'my 1337 graphix are betterz than yerz lol!!oneone!111!' pissing contest?

Meh, different strokes for different folks :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Why cant we all just get along :D

But in all seriousness, it is aggravating to hear people ****e on about Halo saying that it is THE multiplayer experience fullstop. when in fact It has nothing on any decent PC shooter, and thats a FACT.

Consoles have advantages too but most of the age old console arguments are now flawed..

ITS CHEAPER! How many of you have bought 1000 euro TVs to use these consoles to their full potential? Halo costs what 70 euro? Orange Box on the PC had FIVE excellent games, each scoring 90% average in reviews all for around 40 euro...

IT JUST WORKS! How many have had issues with Xbox360s dieing, game patches etc. How frustrating is it to have to send your console away for a month to be fixed when 99% of Pc problems can be fixed in minutes, and if a component is broken, a new part can be had in days...

Im just after buying a PS3, because consoles are better lots of things like sports games and local multiplayer...

Anyway, in a Nutshell Halo is ****e and the PC is the only playform for shooters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Q_Ball wrote: »
    My Ma > Yore Ma .... FACT!!!

Why there is so much agro between pc and console gamers is beyond me. Maybe PC gamers feel they have to justify the enormous amounts of money they spend on a regular basis in face of consoles that are becoming more popular? Maybe console gamers dont like their faces rubbed in it when it comes to a 'my 1337 graphix are betterz than yerz lol!!oneone!111!' pissing contest?

Meh, different strokes for different folks :)

Tbh, the price differences between pc gaming and consoles isnt as vast as some people believe. The PC im currently using will run anything except crysis at max settings, and coupled with my monitor cost me about €1150. A PS3 and a decent HDTV would cost around €900. A small difference in price, considering:
    PS3 has a far smaller library of games
    Said games are more expensive (by quite a margin in some cases)
    The PC can be used for a wide range of applications in addition to gaming
    The PC is graphically superior (imho)

But as you say, different strokes. I can understand the appeal of "just working", although in 90% of the cases I have problems trying to run a game, a quick google search sorts me out in five minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

bought both games. satisfied with crysis but UT3 just doesn't work for me, at all. i'd bring it back if i didn't love UT so much. once it gets ready to load a map it freezes up and thats the end of it. i might hear some action but not see it. hopefully a patch will sort it out. i wouldn't mind so much if i had a crap system, but a dualcore with hd2900xt should eat it up (it ate the demo up anyway)

Advertisement