Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UT3 PC Sells 33,995, Crysis Sells 86,633 in US in November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Azza wrote: »
    Gears of War from a graphical point of view on the PC is better than the console equivelent and adds in some minor additional content. I will admit it was extremely buggy though. If it gets some patches to resolve its issues it will be marginally superior to the console version. Thought the gameplay was very satisfying and thats why it got away without showing a lot of verity.

Crysis I found had a poor second half after a decent if unspectacular first half.
    I found the ropey AI kept breaking the immersion factor for me. Its story was also solid but unspectacular. The destructible environments did not really add a lot to the gameplay in my opinion. Forget they where their after a while.

found the ai to be quirky but enjoyed the various ways of killing them , as the destructible environments i loved driving jeeps into huts and blowing keeps off cliffs and what not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

How many people here in the first 2 years of its release were playing a "borrowed" version ... i know i wasnt. Look at the sales.... drastic times call for drastic measures! A few good points about consoles being in the spring of there life at the moment and eventually be unable to keep up with pc

These drastic measure would be more likely to add another layer of complication to the PC market in ther general publics eyes.

It's a stupid system, and i hope it never takes off. I really do not want it to be common place to have to be online to play the single player game i just bought.
    It's ****, and you all know it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ìt is pretty ****, but we are heading towards a time when all computers will likely be online all the time.. *shrug*

having a couple of million cars in a country the size of Ireland is pretty **** too, but here we are and we seem to get by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

So will the time come when no new pc titles are released, developers will stop developing because there is no money in it any more and move to console dev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

MooseJam wrote: »
    So will the time come when no new pc titles are released, developers will stop developing because there is no money in it any more and move to console dev

Nope.

Anyone can make a PC game. You need to pay for devkits and licensing fees, aswell as pass certification, to make a console game.

It's hard to see the PC market supporting big budget highly ambitious titles like Crysis mind you, but it may still be the lead platform for such games ahead of them getting ported to the consoles (which is exactly what is happening with Crysis)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

UT3 and Crysis having relatively poor sales compared to the top selling console games doesn't really mean the death of the PC games industry...

Also why isnt COD4 PC mentioned on the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It seems the figures for UT3 on PC were a complete fabrication, and it in fact sold less than 5k (from ign).
    CoD4 on PC sold 4 times what Crysis did, which still puts it no where near the PS3 version, nevermind the 360 version.

mcgovern wrote: »
    It seems the figures for UT3 on PC were a complete fabrication, and it in fact sold less than 5k (from ign).
    CoD4 on PC sold 4 times what Crysis did, which still puts it no where near the PS3 version, nevermind the 360 version.

260,000 copies is nothing to frown upon.. Who cares if it sold less than the 360 version? I know that myself and 259,999 other gamers are getting a better experience and thats all that matters.....

And 5k copies of UT3?! thats bull****.... My local game store sold atleast 15 copies... So atleast 1500 copies must have been sold in Ireland alone...

conzymaher wrote: »
    260,000 copies is nothing to frown upon.. Who cares if it sold less than the 360 version? I know that myself and 259,999 other gamers are getting a better experience and thats all that matters.....

And 5k copies of UT3?! thats bull****.... My local game store sold atleast 15 copies... So atleast 1500 copies must have been sold in Ireland alone...

All these figures are from NPD, i.e. North America alone (i.e. the figures in the first post, and the ones I mentioned), so how much it sold in Ireland is irrelevant. :rolleyes:
    Glad to see you backed up your points with valid facts again and didn't just say something like "I know that myself and 259,999 other gamers are getting a better experience and thats all that matters".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I thought I heard the Microsoft gaming division doesn't make any money, how can they not make any money with millions of sales, am I just totally wrong in thinking that ?

• Advertisement

I thought I heard the Microsoft gaming division doesn't make any money, how can they not make any money with millions of sales, am I just totally wrong in thinking that ?

Its the entertainment division (or something similar) that doesn't make any money.
    Losing lots on the 360 and Zune, making bucketloads on the likes of Halo 3.
    Really at the moment they are still just trying to buy market share.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Microsoft's gaming division was on the verge of actually making money at the start of the year but then they decided they cover the cost of all Xbox 360 that had failed since launch (has something like a 33% failure rate) and extending its warranty for 360's to 3 years. Cost them a billion dollars to do so.

That's also the amount anyalsts reckon Nintendo will loose out due to the current shortages of the Wii console.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

If you honestly think that, you're lying to yourself.

But im not, there is a reason i didnt buy an x-box - halo is on the pc

i bought a n64 because goldeneye was not on the pc

i have no reason to buy a ps1 because i got a new pc before they came out

didnt buy ps2 because well i didnt buy a ps1 or 3.

Im not into play stations i dont get what they offer, i won a ps3 in work yesterday(3rd in sony sales) but i dont know what to do with it, as i mentioned im thinking of waiting for burnout because burnout and the first gran turismo on the ps1 where good, GT 2 was ****e 3 was bad aswell it got far to boring and far to much focus on the cars instead of the racing.

Grand theft auto was ruined by the ps2 that 3rd game was bollox.

em what other consoles? oh dreamcast i did always like the idea of buying that and the gun for house of the dead but there was not even 1 other interesting game on that console.

Ive noticed that each console tends to have 1 amazing game. but i wouldnt exeatly say there are loads of great console games, no i cant really think of any more then 4 VERY good console games since goldeneye.

I hear that the new CNC game called Kanes wrath will have some revulationry new interface that will "redesign strategy games" on consoles but i hope this is not true, the cnc comunity has become full of miscs recently, last thing we need is them getting re-inforcements. Im not prejudgeing, well actually i am its from experience, its observation not slander or pre judgeing but most console gamers are immature and annoying, i find the adult ones not so bad but teens who have consoles are much more imature gamers than pc gamers and i dont like the way they speak to on that team speak/box live ect.

Does this answer you question in any way? probbley not but i did try.
    Kiith wrote: »
    This is something people really need to stop saying. Unless you buy an absolute piss poor pc, its not going to obselete in six months. I bought my pc over a year and a half ago (for €1250) and it still plays almost every game on full settings. Crysis, obviously, pisses all over it from a great height. But Bioshock, World in Conflict, Stranglehold etc... all play pretty much perfectly. And its still got at least another year of playing games at medium to high settings.

And i'm not getting involved in this argument (AGAIN!!!!), i'm just pointing out this "obsolete in 6 months" statement is bullcrap.

+1
    Azza wrote: »
    There is a truly a fantastic selection of games on both consoles but as a single format I think the PC has a better selection of games over any one console.

Good point, a pc was what made me fall in love with games, then i got a saga mega drive, then pc then pc then n64 then pc then pc then pc.
    I play consoles and all but there is a certin simplicity with them.

Games can be learnt much easyier on a console. Example: in most groups of friends there would be one person who was a fanatical gamer or still is, i find in every group i have interacted with when it comes to "beatemup" games i dont find them fun because of the difference in skill levels, one person would have that much higher a skill level so the game would not be interesting since i am already sure on the winner but with cnc on the pc itsdown to tatics, even if your **** at the game you can have a better battleplan and a tatic tatic or whatever, there is more to do in . Hmmm thats not a great example, there very different games.

I suppose im just not into consoles, ive been considering getting a x-box360 because of mass effect but id imagine there is not much point, ive played x-boxs before and im notn a big fan of the controlls. Give me A, B, C anyday or a keyboard. I have hear quite alllot of x-boxs get these red circles of death, probbley much like a pc blue screen of death but problems with a pc can be fixed by google. As far as i know x-boxs and the like get returned to manufactures.

games hmm> out of interest how often would you all think an "amazing" game comes out? id say there might be one a year that really hits home

games like the first cnc
    final fantisy seven
    knights of the old republic
    road rash
    sonic
    mario
    tie fighter
    metal gear solid (i hear the first one is good)

hmm its a bit too early for all this thinking cause i cant think of any more and i was airiming for seventeen years worth of games because i wanted to name what i thought was the best game each year since i was five

i cant think of any more games now but

Hmm well now im lost. i lost one of my posts this post was 3 quote posts but i lost one of them because my pc crashed and i only had time to copy/paste 2 of them so this might not make much sence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Absolutely not. The figures between Console sales vs PC sales doesn't represent the state of the market whatsoever because they are missing one glaringly obvious thing, i.e. MMO's. Near the beginning of this year, the PC sales record was shattered when the Burning Crusade (WoW expansion) sold 2.4 million copies...in one day. The total number playing WoW is now 9.3 million per month (For a comparison with the OP, over 2 million of those are in the US). Other figures (in absolutely no way a complete list of the larger ones, just what I happened to find figures for quickly):

Runescape: 6,000,000
    Habbo Hotel: 6,000,000
    Club Penguin: 4,000,000
    Guild Wars: 4,000,000
    Webkinz: 3,800,000

Not only that, but from a financial perspective, the longevity of MMO's compared to your average console title is astounding, just look at something like Lineage. It was released in 1998 and *still* has 1,500,000 people paying every single month to play.

These don't even include the Asian games which far far far outstrip the figures of western ones. Most don't release official figures, but one that does is Maplestory, with a mere 50 million players.

The PC games market is in no way dieing. It is however shifting focus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Blowfish wrote: »
    Runescape: 6,000,000
    Habbo Hotel: 6,000,000
    Club Penguin: 4,000,000
    Guild Wars: 4,000,000
    Webkinz: 3,800,000
    Hmm, those figures look a little off to me. There cant be that many people playing Runescape, can there?

And are MMO's helping or hindering the pc market. How many of those 9.3 million people would have gone out and bought other games if the hadnt been playing Warcraft. Some of those people have played the game for 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hmm, those figures look a little off to me. There cant be that many people playing Runescape, can there?
    Scarily enough yes. I can't see why myself as it drove me crazy when I tried to get into it, but it has actually exploded population wise over the past year or two. The income from it (and Habbo Hotel) would be far less than WoW though, as they have free to play options.

It and Habbo Hotel are still significant though, because most of their playerbase is in the 13-18 age group. The average age of MMO players for subscription based MMO's is around 28, so the fact that there is such a hugh number of younger players essentially growing up playing MMO's means there's a huge 'feeder' market into the subscription based ones.
    And are MMO's helping or hindering the pc market. How many of those 9.3 million people would have gone out and bought other games if the hadnt been playing Warcraft. Some of those people have played the game for 2 years now.
    That's exactly my point :). The fact that so many people are playing MMO's rather than other games is exactly why the sales figures for offline games look so poor. The players haven't disappeared, there are more than ever, they've just changed from buying lots of single player games, to sticking with a few games, and paying for those for months on end.

Looking at it from an investors perspective, although the initial cost for an MMO will be much greater than a single player game, the fact that 10 years down the line it's possible that several million people will still be paying every single month means that there is definitely still money to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i.e. Starforce, which was a pain in the hole, was increadibly hard to crack
    The reason I hated that piece of crap was that it fuxored my system after I installed a game with Starforce on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

the_syco wrote: »
    The reason I hated that piece of crap was that it fuxored my system after I installed a game with Starforce on it.
    Same too, but its not used much nowadays anymore and I think they improved it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I argee 100% with Blowfish iv been playing Eve online for over 2 year's and have 3 paying accounts its just more enjoyable to play a mmo with 40,000 others on the same server doing what you wish working towords a goal ,killing people and geting hate mail etc than playing another bloody tech demo against god awful ai with insane system requirements.

Imho single player game's in general need to get back to good game play instead of fancy over priced graphics tour de force's i still find myself going back to replay vampire the mascurade bloodlines because its just so excellent and iv yet to find a rts better than Dawn of war how old is that? 3-4 years? plus ill be glady giveing relic more money when the new expantion comes out despite the dodgy graphics same applys to half life 2 design the game with good gameplay/storie and poeple will buy try to sell a game purely on how it looks and i think people are getting to jaded to care.

Dont think pirateing has as much to do with it either stardock designed gal civ 2 with out any copy protection but it was a good game and became a big hit spawning 2 expantions didnt hurt its sales much.

But Eve looks awesome too :p

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote: »
    But Eve looks awesome too :p

Recently yes but for 99.9% of that time eve looked nice like but it wasnt uber wasnt up there with the likes of x3 for instant now it is very nice but tbh i still play on the classic graphics because i dual/triple run clients at time cant do that with the new graphics upgrade's....However i admit it is nice to have the option of the nicer graphics when running around in low sec pew pewing with just my main but its not game makeing its not what eve is about unlike some fps's so you dont miss it when its not all blinged up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

User45701 wrote: »
    But im not, there is a reason i didnt buy an x-box - halo is on the pc

*snip*
    Does this answer you question in any way? probbley not but i did try.

No, because you seem to be living on a different planet to the rest of us.
    I cannot fathom how you can honestly believe that rubbish, the misguided notion that there havn't been more than 4 good console games since goldeneye is actually painfull to read.

Fine you're a PC gamer, fair enough, but don't try and pass off consoles are inferior to PC by conviently forgetting everything thats ever been released in order to make yourself feel better about your platform choice.

Sweet zombie jesus...........

Graphics are important in Single Player titles because if it looks pants you wont be able to get immersed in the game...

But most people who play multiplayer fps on the PC definitely favor Performance over visual quality. Being able to see your opponents outside is more important than lovely bloom / HDR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I've read a fair bit of the thread (long as it is) and I'd like ot add my two cents.

A huge advantage consoles have over PC's is the social (multiplayer) aspect to consoles. Not only do they have online play, up to 4 people at once can use one at the same time, as opposed to PC gaming which is for the most part (unless your at a lan or playing worms) 1 person alone at their pc. This social aspect can been seen in the success of the Wii of course.

Also I find that a lot of the people who complain about joypads seem to be a more elitist element of the pc gaming community, what i'd call fanboys. If you have skills, and depending on the game they can be great and very accurate, the learning curve is a bit steeper than mouse and keypad though tbh, which is pretty straight forward point and click.

Also User45701, seriously, none of what your saying is in anyway close to reality. Basically it just shows you havent been involved or even following the console gaming scene at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

robby^5 wrote: »
    I've read a fair bit of the thread (long as it is) and I'd like ot add my two cents.

A huge advantage consoles have over PC's is the social (multiplayer) aspect to consoles. Not only do they have online play, up to 4 people at once can use one at the same time, as opposed to PC gaming which is for the most part (unless your at a lan or playing worms) 1 person alone at their pc. This social aspect can been seen in the success of the Wii of course.

Also I find that a lot of the people who complain about joypads seem to be a more elitist element of the pc gaming community, what i'd call fanboys. If you have skills, and depending on the game they can be great and very accurate, the learning curve is a bit steeper than mouse and keypad though tbh, which is pretty straight forward point and click.

omg you couldnt be any wronger , ever hear of the internets ?? its this great thing that let you use apps such as Ventrilo , teamspeak and skype? these coupled with the huge pc gaming community and online clans make playin pc on the internet a much more enjoyable experiance than going onto XBL and being called a fag.
    its easy to be good with a mouse , its easier to be good with a joypad , and its much much harder to be good with a mouse and keyboard than a joypad , a joypad has what 8 buttons? 2 analoge sticks , a keyboard can have 50+ buttons a mouse with 9 different customisables.

+ lan events held ever couple of months lets 200+ gamers meet and great , with only a small handfull of console owners going.
    + moving a pc around is as difficult as moving a Console around.

Robby..........

Online multiplayer Gaming has been on the PC since the early 90s Oh and its free

robby^5 wrote: »

Im sorry what? im online right now in eve with 40,000 others talking actively with maybe 20 and im on msn at the moment with m8s from other game's i can fire up my web cam and see them or vent/ts and talk to them or both how is this not social? hell here i am involed in a social discussion on my pc based about the pc not being as social as consoles...

As for keyboard being easyer theres a difference between easy and just being better than the awkuard control system other games platforms use that are compensated for by offering auto aim assistance and other crap or "cheating" as us pc gamers call it ;p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

bizmark wrote: »
    Im sorry what? im online right now in eve with 40,000 others talking actively with maybe 20 and im on msn at the moment with m8s from other game's i can fire up my web cam and see them or vent/ts and talk to them or both how is this not social? hell here i am involed in a social discussion on my pc based about the pc not being as social as consoles...

Playing with real friends on the couch will always be superior to playing with people on the internet in my opinion. No amount of communications tools will make up for that.

steviec wrote: »
    Playing with real friends on the couch will always be superior to playing with people on the internet in my opinion. No amount of communications tools will make up for that.

You got us there.... Pc gamers have no friends :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

COUGH, let me rephrase that....

Console = 4 people at once on the same console in the same room enjoying one anothers company

PC = 1 person, alone sure talking with people on TS or whatever, but its not the same.

Thus there a far more social aspect to consoles, i wouldnt call talking ot people on Vent socialising. ;)

Advertisement