Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolocast sig pics - using the Freemason's Logo?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

How come people are using the Freemason's Square and Compass Logo for sig pics linking to Lolocast? The Logo has obviously been modified to have an 'L' inside instead of the usual 'G'. Bit insulting to the few of us on boards who are masons! Well aware that this will just degenerate into a thread with cat pics, but before it does, any chance of an explanation to how it became the norm? I've seen two users already with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ned78 wrote: »
    Bit insulting to the few of us on boards who are masons!.

jeez ned
    You're a bit over sensitive aren't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Would you say the same thing if it was Islam? Well aware that Masonry's not a religion, but it's the same principal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ned78 wrote: »
    Would you say the same thing if it was Islam? Well aware that Masonry's not a religion.

Chalk and cheese.

To you, yes. To us, no. Dismissing something is easy when you've no perspective. Regardless, does anyone know why it's being used?

From the sig guidelines sticky in FAQ :
    Please make sure that your signature DOES NOT contain profanity, bigotry, racism, or any other content that might be considered offensive by others. While we do not come out and suggest that this site is "family friendly" in nature, we do not want this to be interpreted as an open floodgate for sensitive material. IF WE GET A COMPLAINT, IT WILL BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And theres me thinking it was a symbol of a sexual act.

As for why it's being used I have no idea. Have you asked the Mod of the forum or someone with the sig?

• Advertisement

Thanks Gordon, I haven't asked any specific users, as more than one is using it, it's probably something that was conceived within the Forum, and they're just following suit, so it's hardly their fault. Not sure who the Mod of Lolocaust is, as I can't see Forum 878.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Rabies and Hagar mod that forum.

Thanks again Gordon :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's better than the little man in the Nazi uniform, no?

Out of curiosity, even though Hagar and Rabies mod the Lolocaust forum, who oversees signature compliance? After all, Hagar and Co really aren't responsible for what people put in their sigs.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lolocaust is for humour that many people will find offensive but in the spirit of freedom of expression we provide a space for it. I don't feel the use of the masonic symbol is done in disrespect as much as it is in parody and mischief.

I know several Masons myself (I started a thread on the topic in Humanities which is well known) but I don't think they would find this any more offensive then the usual "lizards and goats" nonsense. In fact less so because it isnt malicious.

If it had a cock on it instead of an L then it would be over the line and I'd act on it but as it is I don't think its more then parody. Would you really want the Masons to be known to be as intolerant as the extremist Muslims?

I do think, having read all the threads, that some people could be a tad more polite. I have a feeling that if the foot were on the other foot, pagan, moderator or ThatGuy... then feathers would be equally ruffled. A little civility and tolerance from ALL quarters is called for.

DeV.

Advertisement