Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life jackets?

Options
  • 17-12-2007 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Alright lads. Im a total novice surfer(been out once, heading for the sea next weekend) and one of my worst fears is to have my leash break and be dragged out to sea by a rip.

Bearing that in mind I think I want to buy myself a lifejacket. I dont think ive seen any surfers wear a lifejacket but I honestly dont care about looking stupid.

Has anyone expierience with this? bouyancy issues etc etc...? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

more of a danger to you than a help in paddle-in surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 carav

Definitely more of a danger to you. If you wipe out, a lifejacket will have you resurface a lot faster than without, just in time to meet your board coming back down from being chucked up in the air.....there's no time to have the board etc 'settle' before resurfacing.

Also will restrict you in paddling, popping up etc. My best advice would be, if you're not too confident in the water, stay with the cleaner, smaller more mellow days, otherwise you'll be constantly worrying and not enjoying the waves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Learn to swim properly. you should be able to do at least 500m without stopping in a pool. Preferably you should be pretty comfortable doing 1000m non-stop.

Here's a good program for going from a casual swimmer to swimming 1500m in 6 weeks. It's actually fairly easy if you take your time.
    http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

A rip won't really suck you that far out to sea, usually they dissapate just outside the breakers, which is usually where you want to be anyway. If you do ever get caught in one just stasy calm and paddle accross it. It's really not a big deal, once you stay calm.

A lifejacket will actually be a hindrance, how can you duckdive with a lifejacket? Also, sometimes when you wipeout you can dive deep to avoid the wave. Wipeouts with a lifejacket are going to last longer as you'll just be bounced around in the whitewater a lot more.

What you need to do is become a stronger swimmer and check your leash before you go out. Have a back up leash in the car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

Thats great , thanks for the advice lads. Im fairly fit and a strong swimmer in the pool but the atlantic is a bit different lol. Im going to try that swimming program anyway Enygma.Thanks again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I got caught in a rip for the first time in Lahinch yesterday. Being able to touch the very tips of your toes on the sand and feeling the current drag you away from the beach is a disturbing experience. I'm not particularly fit but got out of it by paddling parallel to the beach, not towards it. So its not the end of the world if it happens, but don't be complacent and keep the head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement