Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone just clear this up..

Options
  • 17-12-2007 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

What does Ni mean in Irish?

Also just looking through the meaning of some Irish surnames, interesting to note that Doyle means dark foreigner, Gallagher means lover of foreigners, and Reid means red hair, ruddy skin(was someone joking with Steven Reid!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

'Daughter of'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well I know "Mac" is son of so possibly "Ni" is daughter of
    (not sure how to type a fada on a mac)

I'm probably well off the mark though

Why not ask in the Gaelige forum?

^^^beaten to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Sorry..I honestly did not know it existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Karoma wrote: »
    'Daughter of'

Yes and it is written as 'Nic' if the prefix is 'Mac' i.e. Mac Gearailt - Nic Gearailt. 'Ó' (old spelling 'Ua') incidentally, 'means grandson of'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Múinteoir wrote: »
    Yes and it is written as 'Nic' if the prefix is 'Mac' i.e. Mac Gearailt - Nic Gearailt. 'Ó' (old spelling 'Ua') incidentally, 'means grandson of'.

" 'Ó' (old spelling 'Ua') incidentally, 'means grandson of'. " - interesting. A Czech woman I know whose surname is Marsikova told me something like that in Czech a single woman's name always ends in 'ova' until she marries, taking the man's name, something similiar to Irish. So if she married a guy called Nedved, she would use the name Nedved but her daughters would use Nedvedova or something like that. Doesn't Fitz, which is obviously Norman in origin, also mean 'son of' ?? And names ending in son such as Ferguson, Anderson etc are Scandinavian in origin ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement