Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banger-nomics

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I think you're missing the joke, €800 for a Regatta would have been outrageously expensive 10 years ago, €80 would be too much today. You'll get a hell of a lot more car for €800.

No, not missing the joke. If I advertised a Regatta for sale I doubt I'd get any more response at €80 than at €800 or €8000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Jeez, all you guys must be accountants.:D

I thought I had stumbled onto the Eddie Hobbs forum there for a minute, this is the motors forum isn't it?

I obviously don't subscribe to the bangernomics theory. I believe life is short and if you enjoy cars and have the money you should buy whatever you want to buy.

You can't bring your money with you when you croak it.

True,

But one of the bangernomics websites makes the case for owning a banger as your daily car, and then invest the savings in a really nice weekend car, possible a vintage/classic car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i bought a pugoet 106 for well nothing , adjusted the throttle body and serviced it.

rallyed the life out of it and sold it for 150.

great deal imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

My current car cost me 2650 E (98 Corolla Linea Terra) and it looks better than most 06 cars i see on the road!

I wouldnt subscribe to pure bangernomics (ie. 93 Micra POS for 20 Euro!) but i would only spend maybe 2-5k on a car.. With a bit of patience and research you can get some amazing bargains!

I would be totally paranoid about a new car (scratches, scummers etc)..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Are we allowed to ask opinions of certain garages on boards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Maddison wrote: »
    Are we allowed to ask opinions of certain garages on boards?

Hi maddison,
    others do, so open a new thread on your certain garages, lets try an keep to the point here on bangernomics.

I really like the idea of saving your pennies during the week driving a sensible,reliable,cheap runabout and then in the garage, have a FANTASTIC classic for those weekends. Bloody great idea, init?

now, here's a game to play to be a bangernomics guru - get the buyandsell or the autotrader and go to the jacks, lock yourself in,sit on the throne, and see what good reliable car you can pick up for a grand - with a good history,in good shape and a nice long nct.
    Good fun this. Do it for the craic :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ah me trusty old spacewagon, still trundleing away, cost me nothing, i need to replace the thermostat tomorrow, the first repair since the 1st may last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

old boy wrote: »
    ah me trusty old spacewagon, still trundleing away, cost me nothing, i need to replace the thermostat tomorrow, the first repair since the 1st may last.

Those old mitsi's just go and go and go and go..........................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Octavia's supposedly are nuts on running costs. The fella my cousin is married to says he gets 600ish miles to a tank from his 02 1.9tdi (thats if I heard him correctly :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I really like the idea of saving your pennies during the week driving a sensible,reliable,cheap runabout and then in the garage, have a FANTASTIC classic for those weekends. Bloody great idea, init?

That's what I'm doing. I've been driving cars like I mentioned above (which have never let me down) for the following:

AlfaGTJ001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Jeez, all you guys must be accountants.:D

I thought I had stumbled onto the Eddie Hobbs forum there for a minute, this is the motors forum isn't it?

I obviously don't subscribe to the bangernomics theory. I believe life is short and if you enjoy cars and have the money you should buy whatever you want to buy.

You can't bring your money with you when you croak it.

I'm an accountant and when I've the cash I'll buy a nice car.
    As you say life is short, enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

old boy wrote: »

An old Space Wagon may easily be my next car after the Punto!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

I sold my newish A3 a few weeks ago and bought a Cinquecento instead for €50. I think you would have to be mad (or loaded) to own an expensive car in Dublin, you are never going to get to drive it on clear roads, even at weekends. 90% of your driving will be in slow moving traffic around 30km/h so you're not going to need a big engine for that. All you are doing is sitting watching your petrol gauge empty, and you can do that in a small banger just as well as in a 2 or 3 litre car. And then there is the heartache of every time you park it you come back to a new set of scratches and dents. And when you have a nice car you have to clean it:).

With the money you save from the car you can get yourself something that you can actually use to its potential - like a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Copper wrote: »
    And then there is the heartache of every time you park it you come back to a new set of scratches and dents.

Never a truer word spoken - why are people such heedless clots that they can't open the door of their car, or wheel a trolley by, without taking a lump out of the paintwork of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I have to agree with copper, like most men (I think), I have a desire to own a really nice car, but its so disheartening to spend way over inflated prices for a car that hardly ever gets to fulfill its potential. Right now Im seriously thinking of buying an old cruiser like an old 7 or 5 series and just enjoy the comforts of a good value car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

tw0nk wrote: »
    I have to agree with copper, like most men (I think), I have a desire to own a really nice car, but its so disheartening to spend way over inflated prices for a car that hardly ever gets to fulfill its potential. Right now Im seriously thinking of buying an old cruiser like an old 7 or 5 series and just enjoy the comforts of a good value car.
    I got rid of my expensive car because of the repeated attention it was getting from the local scum. I bought an older luxury car for small money which blends into the background but is totally reliable and costs me nothing more than cheap servicing, petrol and motor tax. insurance for me is as cheap as for a smaller car. Don't worry about damage to the car or even writing it off or if someone is vandalising it outside the door at night which doesn't happen anyhow as it isn't as conspicuous.

I'm saving to move to a better area and when I do I may re-consider my strategy regarding running a cheaper older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I haven't read previous but I always tell people that you can get a great car at any budget, provided you are not determined to have EVERY facet as cheap as possible.

I was very tempted to buy a 3.0 Volvo 960. It was a stunning black estate with leather/ climate etc., and was the most modern looking one I've ever seen, obviously at the end of the run and obviously very well minded.

€1000:eek:

Running costs are very reasonable when you look objectively at the value you're getting. It's that or a punto with an iffy headgasket...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Im not convinced.

You could use the same argument for a house. Buy one in the middle of a rough as dogs knackers housing estate or one in the country where you are woken to the sounds of birds singing and rabbits frolicking in the west pasture....:D

Whatever you can afford i think, why go through life scrimping and saving ?

As other people have said, fine is you want that weekend car as well, but i dont see the point in driving a pos to save a few pounds.

For me, as im sure others, my car has to start first time, no busses where i live........yes, in the country with birds and rabbits........ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I'm with the bangers.

I had an A4 tDi, then a 320D 150BHP (crap car) and then an A4 TDi (again)....now I have a C200 Diesel, with close to 210k miles and 9 owners, close to 50mpg. had a problem with a diesel leak and replaced a suspension arm for NCT, otherwise its perfect.

Sometimes I'm tempted to go back to something newer but then i wake up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

oleras wrote: »
    Im not convinced.

I've been running very old and cheap cars for about 5 years now.

I have only ever stopped 5 times.

3 times was because I ran out of fuel (!!) all my fault I was playing games running on fumes!!

2 times because of battery issues, which is as per any normal "modern" car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Currently driving 10 year old diesel that have had for last 5 years come Jan.
    Before that have had succession of 5/6 years old 1.8/2.0 litre cars.

If you stick with known reliable makes/models then you should be ok.
    That is the theory.
    Thus you do not touch French, English or Italian.
    No need to get a Fix It Again Tomorrow as it will be either a rust bucket (if old enough) or have bits falling off.
    Japanese ala Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi would be pretty good bet.
    Some Subarus may have the guts driven out of them.
    German would also be reliable but you would pay more for Merc or BMW.

I know of one guy who had classic car collection including Rover V8, original Range Rover and AC Cobra (the real Ford V8) but everyday he used to drive around in old Peugeot 205. Not very impressive to cool posing dudes but when he wanted to impress he could always drag out the Cobra.

A new car is one of the worse possible buys. The moment it leaves the forecourt it immediately loses a huge chunk of value. The more expensive the car the bigger the drop.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

oleras wrote: »
    Im not convinced.

You could use the same argument for a house. Buy one in the middle of a rough as dogs knackers housing estate or one in the country where you are woken to the sounds of birds singing and rabbits frolicking in the west pasture....:D

Whatever you can afford i think, why go through life scrimping and saving ?

As other people have said, fine is you want that weekend car as well, but i dont see the point in driving a pos to save a few pounds.

For me, as im sure others, my car has to start first time, no busses where i live........yes, in the country with birds and rabbits........ ;)

Houses are assets and can't be properly compared to cars which are consumables.

Tweaking your analogy however, imagine if you could have a newish 3 bed semi on the deckland commuter belt for €300k. But for some unknown reason all houses were now considered to be not worth a f*ck if they weren't less than 10 yrs old. Imagine if now, for the same €300k you could buy a posh victorian detached house in poshest Dublin??

Well, the lure of modern energy efficient housing with all mod-cons, modern public transport alternative and a smug sense of self-satisfaction wouldn't have me slumminmg it out in some God-forsaken muddy field I can tell you:D Not when I've got a mansion to run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

I've never spent more than 2500 for a car, i'm a firm beliver in bangernomics, that is if your into maintaining cars to some degree yourself and treat them well (not like a member of the family!) driving a respectable car now, 1996 Toyota no loans out and it looks well:)

Advertisement