Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost family pet - outside my house

Options
  • 17-12-2007 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

We have a small dog, definitely a lost pet (collar on, very tame, listens to instructions) outside our house at the minute. It's was outside the gf's house for the last 3 nights after following her and her dogs home. Now it's followed me tonight.

Male dog - not sure of breed, very small tho - has very good sense of direction. They tried to get rid of it yesterday by bringing it for a walk and leaving it in a spot, but it found its way back to their house.

Now it's outside ours - sleeping on the doorstep.
    I made the mistake of feeding it, so it might think it's allowed to stay. But in fairness, it was shivering from the cold and hunger.

I'd let it in but our Westie is in heat, and I don't want to get it in the habit of staying.

Should I give the dog warden of ISPCA a call in the morning or what? Like I said definitely a lost pet - house dog by the looks of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dp

ISPCA are unlikely to help as it's not a cruelty case and Kildare pound put down over 75% of dogs left in so if you call the warden to take the dog, well you know the rest. What kind of a dog is he? Have you made up posters and left them around in the general area, shops, petrol stations, vets etc. Have you rang the warden to see if anyone has reported him missing? Have you had him scanned?

I'd suggest you try to find him a place in a rescue shelter, some of them are listed here.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/irish/index.html

Do you have a shed or something that he could stay in, it's way too cold for a small dog to be out with no shelter. It's freezing these nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Please make the shelter your last option as they'll all under presure at this time of year and the poor thing will be a high-risk of being PTS.

Post these details over on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/ please.

Btw, feeding it wasn't a mistake. And with your Westie in heat he'd probably have been sniffing around looking for some love'n anyway ;)

Mairt wrote: »
    Please make the shelter your last option as they'll all under presure at this time of year and the poor thing will be a high-risk of being PTS.

Should that read pound? I'd rather see this chap in a no-kill shelter than freezing on the doorstep at night.

Brenda in the Instioge Puppyrescue is probably your best bet, she always has room for a small one, god bless her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Toulouse wrote: »
    Should that read pound? I'd rather see this chap in a no-kill shelter than freezing on the doorstep at night.

Brenda in the Instioge Puppyrescue is probably your best bet, she always has room for a small one, god bless her.

Got a call from the gf this morning and the pup was back outside their house - surprised it found its way back as it's a good 2.5km away. Passed on the puprescue number. Thanks

• Advertisement

You should still do all the things I suggested in my first post though. Somebody might be looking for this little guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Do you not have a utility room or something to let it sleep in? he must be frozen especially if he's short haired. is he wearing any id tags? you could take him to a vet and get him to scan him to see if he has a microchip. if he doesn't, you could get your westie spayed and keep him :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Don't ring a pound..they'll only put it down.

Take ads out in papers/check ads in papers!!!!

Story time::)
    On the 25th Sept just gone (remember it as it was my birthday!:D) my mother was out for a daily 4mile walk around the local roads. On this day/half way through her walk she came across a little dog.
    She didn't recognise it/didn't belong to any neighbour. It followed her the rest of the way around. It was a friendly little thing.
    When my mother got home she drove around the roads, looking for anyone who might be out looking for the dog. She met a neighbour who said that the dog has been around a good while/a stray..So we fed and watered it.
    We'v a dog ourselves(who once was a stray 9years ago now) who just hates all dogs so when he saw the stray dog he wasn't to impressed to say the least! Our dog was inside growling out the window at the stray dog and the stray dog was jumping up wanting to play with him!ha
    So if all came to all we were prepared to sort something out, as the dog was lovely, tame and friendly.
    We were in supervalu that night and happened to get The Echo. We only ever buy this paper on the odd occasion, so we were at home having our dinner and my mother was looking up the lost and found ads. There was only one lost dog add. It was for a terrier (same as the stray) but it had been missing since nearly the start of Aug (6weeks) from a location miles and miles and miles away from us!! My father was like..'no way is that it, don't even bother ringing..etc'
    My mother decided to try anyway..she got on to a lovely woman. She described their dog and this dog matched its discription..even had a specific mark that they said!! The young family drove to our house so see if it was their dog..and low and behold it was their dog. It had changed from the photo..become thinner/dirtier in the 6weeks! They had nearly given up all hope..were going to ring the paper the next day to stop running the ad and all!! Amazing or what!! :)

Motto:Take ads out in papers/check ads in papers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

Check out:
    http://www.lostandfound.ie/

to see if he has been reported missing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

If I were in your position, I'd take the dog in and look after it(or find someone that will temporarily).

Get it scanned for a microchip, check the collar for a phone number.

Put up signs in your local shops, vets and garda station and leave your details in the vets and with the gardai.

Check the papers and www.lostandfound.ie and www.petsireland.invisionzone.com and put up your own notices (Its free)

If this brings no joy, you can try get the dog into a shelter or bring it to a pound. I know some posters are against the pound measure, but imo thats a better option than letting the dog starve on its own without a home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Ok, it was asleep on the porch this morning - and fairly determined to stay there - so we took it in. I didn't leave it out last night out of cruelty - but in the hope it'd get the message and move on.

The Westie was due a shot today, so we took the stray along to the vets for a chip scan. No chip - but it's neutered, recently sprayed and well taken care of.

We're minding it for the next while; asleep in the utility at the minute. Signs are going up in the morning, but looks like it's here to stay.

Thanks for all the advice anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

ThatGuy wrote: »
    I made the mistake of feeding it, so it might think it's allowed to stay. But in fairness, it was shivering from the cold and hunger.

Your one heartless gent. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Thats a bit harsh. They've done a lot more than a lot of people would...

Surely a small dog like that can't have travelled from too far away? I'd say posters should do the trick, and lostandfound.ie etc. If someone is missing their pet, they'll eventually find that site. Where abouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Think of what you'd like to happen if this was your pet.

Have you a digital camera or cameraphone? Maybe you could take a photo of it, and post the photo and description and where it was found on irishanimals.ie.

Make posters with FOUND in big letters, date, description of the dog and your phone number and the dog's photo and drop them around to the four nearest Garda stations and nearby vets, and ask local schools to put them up on the noticeboard.

If someone's gone to the trouble of spaying the dog and giving it shots, they're going to be pining for it.

It'll be easy to know the right owner - if they turn up, the dog witll rush up to them and make much of them.

At least the little guy has somewhere warm to sleep now until his owners turn up (fingers crossed) there are so many dangers for a little dog out on his own, cars, idiots who might pick on him, and of course the dog warden lol. if he is neutered, maybe you could try getting him and your westie to make friends? I know how difficult westies are with other dogs, mine would pick a fight with herself I think! but she can be nice and playful sometimes too lol. very moody!

I think OP's westie is in heat Kerrysgold. They could be making more than friends!

I think the stray dog is neutered though? hopefully he knows that lol! (the dog that is)

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I think the stray dog is neutered though? hopefully he knows that lol! (the dog that is)

Ah yes, my bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭TheB

Why is the OP heartless ? :confused: I read it as he HAD fed it even though he thought he shouldn't as it was shivering from cold and hunger..

He seems fairly kind to me.. has taken dog in etc..

Advertisement