Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are you doing / did you do in NCI?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I've applied for the level 8 Business course. I'm really excited but totally nervous at the same time because I don't know anyone else going in and I can be annoyingly shy sometimes. :pac:

I really hope it works out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jevrdublin

Hi Isabel,

I did the business course and I wouldnt worry about not knowing anyone, the college is small and I found it really easy to make friends in your class and in other classes. I wouldnt have being a bit shy aswell. I remember my 1st day walking in and not knowing anyone and after a couple of minutes I had met around 8 other girls...1 of my best friends I met on my 1st day and that was 7 years ago!! its the kinda of place if you see someone on there own people will go over and start talking to you.. dont worry you will be fine :-) Just think of it as a adverture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Did the BSC in Information Systems 04-08

Meh...ye don't even have to turn up for half of the classes. And thats not just that course...its all them.

All the notes are online, most of the tests are same as previous ones.

All you have to do is show up for anything that awards Continuous Assessment points. You dont NEED to attend ...i dont think, i was there less than half the time

Cram the night before exam...and pass

And thats precisely why when I go to networking events, nobody has a good (any?) word to say about NCI graduates. Ask them about UCD, DIT, Trinity etc and they wont shut up, NCI? whats that?

sad but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Considering doing Business Information Systems in September - anyone have any opinions or experiences from that course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cogee

Im in second year of that course atm, its great :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

macroman wrote: »
    Considering doing Business Information Systems in September - anyone have any opinions or experiences from that course?

It depends what you want to do.
    If you like programming and computer science type stuff,it is good:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends what you want to do.
    If you like programming and computer science type stuff,it is good:)

If you like programming, Software Systems (or the current equivalent) is for you. Information systems is generally for people who dont enjoy programming, at least in my experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Trust me,for those that truly do not enjoy programming it contains too much!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Trust me,for those that truly do not enjoy programming it contains too much!

To be perfectly honest, if you dislike programming, your going to find any computer-based course pretty brutal. The info systems is lighter on the programming material, your also given more leway when it comes to software projects - from my experience.

Honestly, the reality is, if you like programming software systems is the best bet. If you think programming is O.K. and you can grit your teeth through it, or have more a businessy career in mind, the info systems is probably for you.

then again, you should probably be talking to the college about this, give 'em a call. whats the worst that could happen?

*plays dr pepper advert*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

SolarNexus wrote: »

then again, you should probably be talking to the college about this, give 'em a call. whats the worst that could happen?

yeah they were realy helpful when i was looking for info on a course a few months ago :)

• Advertisement

xIsabelx wrote: »
    I've applied for the level 8 Business course. I'm really excited but totally nervous at the same time because I don't know anyone else going in and I can be annoyingly shy sometimes. :pac:

me too:D (applied for that course).... and me too! (v shy!):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cogee

xIsabelx wrote: »

Im in second year in the business course so chances r il b your peer mentor next year if you end up going :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jennieinthe08

Just finished 3 year Accounting and HRM....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

I'm hopefully going into third year of Acc and HR (depending on exam results/repeats :P)

Cogee wrote: »
    Im in second year in the business course so chances r il b your peer mentor next year if you end up going :D

Cool!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

dragonfly! wrote: »
    me too:D (applied for that course).... and me too! (v shy!):o

Haha well that makes me feel so much better. I'm recruiting you as my new best friend.

;)

What's the course like, Cogee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 myth.

i went last year.. i switched colleges for this year though. it was too unorganized and everyone was sort of crammed.

altho, i spent most of my time in the SU. :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Philly Notaro

Where is the SU bar???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Sinemo

Technically there is no SU bar...mind you lagoona opposite the college is generally used for the colleges table quizzes etc so could be called the student bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kyles09

Graduated from BAHAHR in 2008 after 3 mad years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Philly Notaro

Kyles09 wrote: »
    Graduated from BAHAHR in 2008 after 3 mad years!

Thats the course I have down... is it good?? and is the college life at NCI good???....oh n do u have a job from it yet ha??

Sorry bout all the Q's:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

I did the ICSA Certificate in Company Secretarial and Share Registration Practice there:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm going to start the part time higher cert in Computing, applications adn support, anybody know what the course is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Graduated with 2:1 in 2007

Studied the BA HRM and Accounting - Took HRM from 2nd year

Probably woudn't recommend the course to anyone though as it's not CIPD recognised and I can see why!!!

Other than that enjoyed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

Just finished 3 year Accounting and HRM....:D

hey, im going into 1st year of this course. is it good? iv already done 1 year in dit doing business and languages and hated it so im really hoping im going to love this but iv just heard bad things about every course in NCI on here basically and it has me worried:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bolt82

jessie11 wrote: »
    hey, im going into 1st year of this course. is it good? iv already done 1 year in dit doing business and languages and hated it so im really hoping im going to love this but iv just heard bad things about every course in NCI on here basically and it has me worried:(

To be honest i loved my time in NCI. I did the Software Systems course and my sister did the accountancy course and she enjoyed her time there too. Id say you will find it extreamly different to DIT though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

yeah,i hated DIT,i was in 2 different campus' so was really hard to find out exactly what was going on with exams etc.
    i like how NCI do extra revision classes and seem to want to do their best to help you pass your exams.
    I had repeats for DIT this year and only found out about them about 2 weeks before when timetables were finally sent out,it was a shambles.
    really hoping it goes well for me now :D

Yeah with NCI being smaller its easier to communicate with people and lecturers. Many a time i had projects and the lecturer took time out of their spare time to meet with us to talk about them.

About timetables too they are always poster on your years notice board and also on the intranet too. They are usually up very early too from my expierance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Bolt82 wrote: »
    Yeah with NCI being smaller its easier to communicate with people and lecturers. Many a time i had projects and the lecturer took time out of their spare time to meet with us to talk about them.

This can be a good and a bad thing. I found that during my NCI days it often led to lecturers dumbing down projects because students couldn't do them / were too lazy to do them. It's a dangerous environment to promote IMO and one that must have clear boundaries to work.

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote: »
    This can be a good and a bad thing. I found that during my NCI days it often led to lecturers dumbing down projects because students couldn't do them / were too lazy to do them. It's a dangerous environment to promote IMO and one that must have clear boundaries to work.

Thats very true too. In my class there were a few people like that but they tended to all join a project together and the lecturers knew what they were like so they didnt waste too much time on them. They never we to the lecturers for help and they never offered any help.

I think it depends on the student. If you are really willing to put some work in it will be noticed and the lecturer is more then likely to help you out. Thats what i found anyways

Advertisement