Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps Coverage

• 17-12-2007 10:21am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Google Maps has improved its imagery for parts of Kilkenny County and City, finally you can actually see details on buildings :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

At last! They've had great imagery of Carlow for ages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its piss poor quality compared to other places...appears to eb alot of cloud cover the day they did it.

They only have updated to cover a small part6 of waterford as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its all blue. Waterford is 90% missing still, Google is clearly not much pushed to serve us.
    The Saudi desert has better detail.

Mike.

Just looked at it there - all of Kilkenny city seems to be the same old low-res stuff as before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

About time really!
    Stephen wrote: »
    Just looked at it there - all of Kilkenny city seems to be the same old low-res stuff as before?

Try the newest version of Google Earth, it too, has been updated and looks fairly well.

• Advertisement

Cool, will have a look at that when I'm home. Only have access to the web maps here .

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Good to see Kilkenny updated but it's strange that the pictures they have used are at least 2 years old. I know this cause my old pair built a house which started 2 years ago but it's still a green site in the aerial shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That interesting, I assumed that if they had higher-res they would have used them long since or be newish.

Mike.

Heh, check out the ring road works on it - its like a massive brown trench around the north of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

mike65 wrote: »
    Its all blue. Waterford is 90% missing still, Google is clearly not much pushed to serve us.
    The Saudi desert has better detail.

Mike.

But no one has been spying on us for the past few decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Stephen wrote: »
    Heh, check out the ring road works on it - its like a massive brown trench around the north of the city.

Tells you how long they've been working on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

finlma wrote: »
    Good to see Kilkenny updated but it's strange that the pictures they have used are at least 2 years old. I know this cause my old pair built a house which started 2 years ago but it's still a green site in the aerial shots.

The images were taken on 20/11/2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

A lot of the local authority web sites( planning section of the web sites) have
    good aerial photos combined with maps. From recollection Kilkenny, Waterford and Laois have these available on their sites. Much clearer than the low res Google earth photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I can see my house and black golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

my mothers old car is in the driveway!

will they make kk clearer?

Cant see it happening, considering how long it took for them to even get low-res pics up!

But it's nice to see all the villages are visible also.

Anyone land the plane at kk airfield yet? i did its a bit tricky though becasue its short.

Plug wrote: »
    Anyone land the plane at kk airfield yet? i did its a bit tricky though becasue its short.

I tried it and found it to be too finicky. That, along with my short attention span spelled disaster for it from the start!

For the people who don't know what that is all about, there is a hidden flight sim
    in Google Earth.
    Here is the link to how to access it and it's controls.

Advertisement