Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing insurance

Options
  • 17-12-2007 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hey, bit of a dumb question. But I have my test on xmas eve but not looking likely the NCT will get done by then so cant use my car. If I change my insurance over for the day to my dads car how will the tester know? Presumably they wont send me out a cert, is the tester going to take my word for it that im insured?

Tried to call the driving test offices but says there call centre is closed:rolleyes:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

All candidates have to sign a declaration to say that they are insured to drive the car. After that, the tester will just glance at the 2/3 discs to make sure that they are in date. Doubt it'll be a problem al.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

cool, cheers dave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

actually hiberian send out a new cert ... i changed my car for 5 hours (while the other was in for a service) and they sent me out a new disc and insurance cert...don't know about other companies...

but as said above , you name is not on the insurance disc on the car, so you will be grand as long as you can sign the letter the tester gives you...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Make sure the registration number on the disc matches the registration number on the car. They check that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jhegarty wrote: »
    actually hiberian send out a new cert ... i changed my car for 5 hours (while the other was in for a service) and they sent me out a new disc and insurance cert.
    It hardly arrived before the 5 hours were up? Unless, of course, you have a fantastic postal service!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Also, check you don't already have open drive on your own policy (i.e. you're insured to drive any other car that the car owner has given you permission to drive). It's usually only Third Party coverage but if your dad will let you do it, it'll save you the hassle of switching your own insurance over.

It's standard on Quinn policies at least, my dad has it and I let him drive my car last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It hardly arrived before the 5 hours were up? Unless, of course, you have a fantastic postal service!

no, it was a few days later.... but would have done me if

a) i applied in advance
    b) need to produce to a garda station in 10 day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ellscurr wrote: »
    Also, check you don't already have open drive on your own policy (i.e. you're insured to drive any other car that the car owner has given you permission to drive). It's usually only Third Party coverage
    That facility is usuallally restricted to those over 25 years of age and who have a full licence in the relevant category.
    jhegarty wrote: »
    no, it was a few days later.... but would have done me if

a) i applied in advance
    b) need to produce to a garda station in 10 day
    Yes, of course, I hadn't thought of that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I had to switch cars for my first test. I got in touch with my broker (www.insure.ie) who switched over the insurance no probs. Then I just signed the declaration at the test centre.

Advertisement