Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hundreds of Geese I think

• 17-12-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else saw the Huge flock of Geese (I think they were geese) flying right over Dublin city this morning. There were well over 100 anyway, they were flying over the Ulster Bank building at around 5 to 9.

is this a common occurance? Wish I had the camera.

BTW ive never posted here before

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

It's quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

ah well. Just proves I know nothing about birds and birdwatchin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The real bird watchers here might correct me on this but I think they might be migrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Probably a flock of Brent Geese, lots of them around Dublin, they use the city parks for grazing and roost along the coast. Go out to Bull Island if you want to see more of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭myjugsarehuge

barryfitz wrote: »
    ah well. Just proves I know nothing about birds and birdwatchin.

No thats wrong don't be disheartened by previous replies, you know plenty; you know enough to appreciate the magnificant sight of a flock of beautiful birds flying overhead, many people wouldn't notice or if they did they wouldn't give a s**t.

I stood totally still once at Blennerville nr Trallee as 3 mute swans took off about 5 ft over my head, I cannot describe the sound of the "whoop" of their wings as they flew over without a care for me, truly breath-taking. I try to instill a love of nature in my kids but feel I am fighting a losing battle, I hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I never knew that Brent Geese were to be found up in Dublin.
    We have them in abundance here in Waterford. I love to walk out along the back strand area of Tramore and watch them in the Winter time. It's quite a sight when they all take flight at once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

It was a pretty cool sight alright. There must have been about 10-12 different V formations , but they were all connected.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I've never seen 10-12 V formations together, I think the most I've ever seen is 3.

Would've loved to have seen that:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

No thats wrong don't be disheartened by previous replies, you know plenty; you know enough to appreciate the magnificant sight of a flock of beautiful birds flying overhead, many people wouldn't notice or if they did they wouldn't give a s**t.

I stood totally still once at Blennerville nr Trallee as 3 mute swans took off about 5 ft over my head, I cannot describe the sound of the "whoop" of their wings as they flew over without a care for me, truly breath-taking. I try to instill a love of nature in my kids but feel I am fighting a losing battle, I hope not.

I know, the hubby has absolutely no interest in wildlife either, one evening a fox crossed the road in front of us while we were walking and he turned to me and said "god,I'd say the place is swamped with those ferrets",not a clue!!!

Advertisement