Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Birthday, Sir Arthur!

Options
  • 17-12-2007 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Sir Arthur C Clarke turns 90 today, and though he's not able to write much any more, he's still around and influential. He's lived in a tropical country (Sri Lanka) for many years now, and it seems to be good for him. Next stop: 100. Though I think he's a bit tired of the BBC calling him whenever they want to do a story about "the Future", whatever that is! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't his next stop 91? :p

Well happy b-day Arty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The man is probably the greatest hard SF writer of all time, much better than the melodramatic Herbert or the over-rated Asimov.

Couldn't write people for peanuts though!

Love "A Fall of Moondust", a movie waiting to happen.

We need to get him into orbit on the Shuttle as soon as possible, he's the one who let our imaginations get into space long before Spunik ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I still think that The Songs of Distant Earth was a beautiful book

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

He had some amazing idea's, but I found a lot of his work hard to read.
    Its either great or a chore to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

"Against the fall of night/The City and the Stars" 1953? is one of the best pieces of SF I had ever read and incredibly far ahead of its time.

Some of his early short stories are great too. ("The 9 Billion names of God" comes to mind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

"Against the fall of night/The City and the Stars" 1953? is one of the best pieces of SF I had ever read and incredibly far ahead of its time.

Some of his early short stories are great too. ("The 9 Billion names of God" comes to mind)

I'd forgotten he wrote that short story, that was one of his better ones alright!

Advertisement