Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

port number to 3pay

• 17-12-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Can I port my o2 number to 3pay without buying a 3pay handset at the same time? I have a few 3pay phones already with other 083 numbers, but now I want to bring my 086 number to 3 as well. It's not clear on the https://store.3ireland.ie/Forms/Forms/PortingRequest.aspx page whether you have to buy a 3pay handset.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

flodis79 wrote: »
    Can I port my o2 number to 3pay without buying a 3pay handset at the same time? I have a few 3pay phones already with other 083 numbers, but now I want to bring my 086 number to 3 as well. It's not clear on the https://store.3ireland.ie/Forms/Forms/PortingRequest.aspx page whether you have to buy a 3pay handset.

you have to buy a handset. they don't do sim only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

you have to buy a handset. they don't do sim only

Alright. I have a spare 3pay sim here, can I use that? Do I have to register that old 3pay number in my name first, before I can port over the o2 number to that sim?

flodis79 wrote: »
    Alright. I have a spare 3pay sim here, can I use that? Do I have to register that old 3pay number in my name first, before I can port over the o2 number to that sim?

can't do that either i'm afraid. once a sim is active on the system it can't be used for porting. the only way is to get a new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

can't do that either i'm afraid. once a sim is active on the system it can't be used for porting. the only way is to get a new phone

Ah well, that's ridiculous.. Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

AFAIK it can be done ring them and ask them

• Advertisement

apollodjs wrote: »
    AFAIK it can be done ring them and ask them

i'll save him the bother:

take your sim card out and wipe it. is there anything else i can help you with sir?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

I was going to say something but I won't bother. Its the season of good will afterall....

apollodjs wrote: »
    I was going to say something but I won't bother. Its the season of good will afterall....

no go on. it can't be done and while that might not be their exact response, it would be no more helpful. what were you going to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I noticed from that form your previous number can have been 083 but your previous network either o2, vodafone or meteor. Does that mean on 3pay if you get a new 3 phone and want to keep your 3 number you need to switch to another network and switch back to 3? They don't seem to offer upgrades :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't think that's correct. My 3 sim worked for a week on the original 083 number before I got my Meteor number ported to it.

• Advertisement

I don't think that's correct. My 3 sim worked for a week on the original 083 number before I got my Meteor number ported to it.
    when you first sign up the sim card number is active on the network but the port hasn't gone through yet so its a temporary number.

with the other networks it can be done with contract phones but as we've seen 3 have some odd policies. If you wanted to do it with another network they'd just give you a new sim with your number on it but 3 will only give you a sim with a phone.

it probably is possible to do with a contract phone from 3 because when they first launched they couldn't port at all and when they set it up loads of people were able to port then. But of course 3pay is a different story

@the hustler, you're right. They don't do pre pay upgrades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Yes you can port a number at a later stage

Advertisement