Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Star" by Arthur C Clarke

• 17-12-2007 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

This is one of Sir Arthur's most famous short stories, and there's an authorised copy online, here. It's an unusual story, imagining a Jesuit priest on an interstellar journey, detailing the religious arguments he had with the other scientists on the way. The real kicker is what he and his colleagues found out there, that sheds a new light (pun intended) on reported events familiar to us here on Earth.

Since it's Sir Arthur's 90th birthday today, you have an excuse to read a little Science Fiction - go on! :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

stereoroid wrote: »
    Since it's Sir Arthur's 90th birthday today, you have an excuse to read a little Science Fiction - go on! :cool:
    Never need an excuse to read Arthur C Clarke!
    I note his wiki page has him down as a humanist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Dades wrote: »
    Never need an excuse to read Arthur C Clarke!
    I note his wiki page has him down as a humanist.

A humanist or a humanoid? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

does it end with the line
    let there be light
    or is that an Isaac Asimov short story?

Sangre wrote: »
    does it end with the line xxxxxxxxxxx or is that an Isaac Asimov short story?

No, that was 'The Last Question' by Asimov. Confusing Asimov with Arthur C. Clarke? He would be turning in his grave if he had ever stopped spinning after the hash Will Smith et al made of 'I Robot'.

yeah thought it was him but the title 'star' and the reference to familar events threw me off.

• Advertisement

yeah thought it was him but the title 'star' and the reference to familar events threw me off.

Asimov's classic short story "Nightfall" ends with a wonderfully lyrical passage about the wonder of the stars in the sky. It's many years since I read it, but it left a lasting impression.

Oh, I love that story. Actually I loved all his stories. I need to re-read them. Never really read Clarke so your grave spinning reference is lost on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Oh, I love that story. Actually I loved all his stories. I need to re-read them. Never really read Clarke so your grave spinning reference is lost on me.

Well... follow that link at the top! It's a half hour read, unless you've been to too many metal gigs :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well... follow that link at the top! It's a half hour read, unless you've been to too many metal gigs :cool:
    Just read it - more like 5 mins!
    And well worth it too for the conclusion. Great stuff.

Half an hour? Only if you have to follow each word with your finger and slowly en-un-ci-ate each sy-lla-ble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

PDN wrote: »
    Half an hour? Only if you have to follow each word with your finger and slowly en-un-ci-ate each sy-lla-ble.
    OK, OK, I was being charitable! Not too fast, though, there's a lot to think about in there... ;)

Advertisement