Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dead Landrover Discovery engine

Options
  • 17-12-2007 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Some friends of mine forgot to put oil in their discovery and killed it. Oops.

Anyone know where to start looking for a recon/salvage engine around Kildare/West Dublin?

Cheers for any help.
    Bruce

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

How old id the disco? Diesel, Petrol etc?

How bad did they kill it?

Sometimes it may be as simple as replacing crank bearings which might be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

It's an '01 2 litre diesel... no idea how bad the damage is, not been able to look at it myself but they seem to think it's terminal. Of course they may not know any better.

ronoc, Is there any way to tell if it's just the crank bearings without stripping the engine down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Oh dear.

TD5 engine. It's a 2.5 Turbo. If it ran low on oil, it's dead.

Replacements will run around the €1500-2500 I'd guess. There's two on ebay UK:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-Discovery-TD5-2000-Engine_W0QQitemZ130183109681QQihZ003QQcategoryZ31348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-Discovery-TD5-2004-Engine_W0QQitemZ130183107514QQihZ003QQcategoryZ31348QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The first one is a year 2000 which should drop straight in. The second one is a 2004 and doesn't list the turbo as coming with the engine. I'd go with the first one myself for less hassle.

Get the water pump and timing gear swapped when replacing the engine in any case. Add another €750-1000 for labour and sundry parts for fitting, oil and fluids etc.

Then tell your friends they were very, very silly not to look after oil changes and levels on ANY landrover.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Thanks for the insight Gil_Dub.... I'll pass that on to them and they can decide what to do.

I don't think they need telling, but I couldn't resist saying something. The thing is the driver saw the oil warning light come on and chose to ignore it. Now she's pretty upset with herself, to put it mildly. Doubt she'll do it again, it's the sort of mistake you only make once. My first car (a much loved mini cooper) has been rusting away in a scrap yard somewhere in Wiltshire for 20 years or so, as I just didn't understand that you really had to change the oil occasionally.

TBH I think it was a bit of "why should I always have to do it" thing on her part, but that's no excuse. Top up the oil, then row about it if you must.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

No bother mate. It's a terribly expensive lesson to learn - hope everyone else who's putting off that service pays attention.

My younger bro killed his old Megane doing the same thing - ie; not changing the oil/topping it up etc.

Even if you don't have the time or money for a full service, drop into the local Advance or Quickfit type place and just get an oil and filter change. I had it done on a golf recently (1.8) for a friend who's too busy at work to do it himself and it cost €75 with Esso oil and a quality branded filter....Not actually a bad deal at all I think, for the hassle it saves. You can then swap out plugs and air filter when you have a few minutes to spare, without getting the dirty clothes, oily driveway and waste oil to rid yourself of...

And for those of you running 4x4's, remember to have your T/Box, Gearbox and diff oils changed regularly too - It's the only thing you need do to keep everything turning the way it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    No bother mate. It's a terribly expensive lesson to learn - hope everyone else who's putting off that service pays attention.

My younger bro killed his old Megane doing the same thing - ie; not changing the oil/topping it up etc.

Even if you don't have the time or money for a full service, drop into the local Advance or Quickfit type place and just get an oil and filter change. I had it done on a golf recently (1.8) for a friend who's too busy at work to do it himself and it cost €75 with Esso oil and a quality branded filter....Not actually a bad deal at all I think, for the hassle it saves. You can then swap out plugs and air filter when you have a few minutes to spare, without getting the dirty clothes, oily driveway and waste oil to rid yourself of...

And for those of you running 4x4's, remember to have your T/Box, Gearbox and diff oils changed regularly too - It's the only thing you need do to keep everything turning the way it should.

:D:D"but i only use it to drop the kids to school, do I still have to do it"-Mrs flood, Sandycove :D:D

Advertisement