Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving test in mullingar

Options
  • 17-12-2007 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hey all did anybody take they're test in mullingar recently, just wondering what you were asked at the start of the test ie rules and bonet stuff? aslo where were you brought, im starting from bellview, hope you can help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Did it there today. FAILED! Don't know the area at all so can't really say what roads etc. Mostly outside the town though. Up the main street once was about it. Bonnet stuff was oil, coolent and water for wipers. Questions were basic enough. Spped limits, when to use headlights, white/yellow lines meanings. Road signs were Hospal, left turn, speed bumps, no overtaking, contra-flow bus lane, pedestrain area, unprotected canal/whatever, and one that I've never seen before and isn't in the rules of the road. Got one green mark for that though. All grand. Just mind roundabouts. I got a red mark for going onto a roundabout when there was a car coming around it. Other car wasn't indicating properly so I thought it was going to take an exit that it didn't take. All in all thoguh it wasn't that bad. Traffic was light enough and there were no surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 lonely heart

I did it twice, failed the first time, but its about a year ago now. totally different route on both occasions. THe first time was the very same route as on my driving lessons, conditions were perfect, but then a guy jumped out of a ditch and ran out in front of me at a roundabout - and I braked too quickly couldn't believe it, and that was the end of that! One would think that he had done it on purpose! Was really disappointed. On the second occasion, I was taken the length and breath of the town, to housing estates that I didn't know, and it was pouring rain, but I gave it my best, and I got it! You just can never tell, it just depends on who you meet on the road on that day!

The questions were the normal ones, and then to explain how to check your oil, to lift and close the bonnet, where the break fluid was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 noones23

thanks all did a few lessons in the last few days, gave my instructor a mild heart attack so its not lookin good for tomorow but as ya said all you can do is give it your best shot, im brickin it now

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    ...and one that I've never seen before and isn't in the rules of the road.
    Apologies for the off-topic post, but I'm curious Ro: maaan! - what was the road sign that you had never seen before? You are the second person I've heard of in the past few days who got a road sign in the test that they had never seen before. What did it look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

aniascor wrote: »
    Apologies for the off-topic post, but I'm curious Ro: maaan! - what was the road sign that you had never seen before? You are the second person I've heard of in the past few days who got a road sign in the test that they had never seen before. What did it look like?

Heh. Just looked it up online. This is embarrassing. I actually guessed it right when he asked me, but it was only a guess. Can't say I've ever seen it before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Diamond_road_sign_road_narrows.svg

But that means I got a green mark for something else. Didn't think I got anything else wrong. Hmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

and one that I've never seen before and isn't in the rules of the road
    aniascor wrote: »
    what was the road sign that you had never seen before
    Heh. Just looked it up online. This is embarrassing. I actually guessed it right when he asked me, but it was only a guess. Can't say I've ever seen it before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Diamond_road_sign_road_narrows.svg
    You are technically correct - it isn't in the ROTR but this one is and they mean the same thing. It's at the bottom of page 182.

RoadNarrows.jpg

The reason for the slight difference is that there are now three 'road narrows' signs indicating narrowing on both sides like above, narrows from the left or narrows from the right. The lines on the sign are adjusted accordingly, i.e. a sign warning of narrowing on the left will have a straight line on the right and the curved one on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

i did the test in mullingar, no problems, took 2 lessons and 1 pretest, passed no problems. My best advice is to take a couple of pre-test lessons, they're kinda mock-tests, but the instructor will take you on the real test routes, and tell you where you are failing. No point in doing a test on a route you are unfamiliar with, learn the route and you will be fine.

Best thing to do in a test, is play it safe safe safe. Dont enter the roundabout until certain, dont overtake the old man on a bike in the middle of the road unless certain, dont break the stop sign, dont break the yellow light etc.

My tester told me I was a little hesitant, I told him I was safe ;) The unfortunate reality is im quite the opposite.

Best of luck!

Advertisement