Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I Upgrade to the Elite??

• 17-12-2007 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi Guys

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I've got a 360 premium that's working fine, but I don't know if I should trade it in and upgrade to the Elite.

Do I really need the larger Hard Drive? The HD movies on Video Marketplace are around 6 or 7 GB and only last for 24hrs once you start to watch them, so they shouldn't really clog up my existing drive.
    I suppose it could be handy to put my music, pictures and videos on the drive instead of having to stream them ??

And as for HDMI, I'm not too pushed. I'm very happy with Component on my HD projector (even though it does take HDMI), and I have the audio going into my 5.1 surround sound.
    Is there much of a difference between HDMI and Component with the Elite?

I've done some checking and most shops have the new Elite's (lot 742 and 175 watt power supply)

So the big question is, should I bite the bullet and get an elite?

Cheers
    D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Does the Elite play HDDVD Movies ? I was thinking of upgrading as I only have my console back from MS today. Also do you need a full HD TV instead of a HD Ready TVto get the most from the HDMI cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

bennyc wrote: »
    Does the Elite play HDDVD Movies ? I was thinking of upgrading as I only have my console back from MS today. Also do you need a full HD TV instead of a HD Ready TVto get the most from the HDMI cable

No the Elite will not play HDDVDs without the HDDVD addon.

And as for the HDMI cable, you do not need a 1080p tv to get the most from it.

And to be honest normal component is fine. Have tried HDMI and component with the 360 and the difference, if any, is negligible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DJW7

Thanks Guys,

The only reason I was thinking of upgrading was that my dad wanted to buy a cheap 360 for my younger brothers at home, and was asking me if I was thinking of upgrading.

He would give me trade in value for it (or maybe a bit more for an extra controller) and I'd pay the extra for the Elite.

I thought it would be good for them to have one as I could play them online and I'd be doing them a favour as well

But recently I've been torn between doing them a favour and forking out extra money for something I mightn't need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

All 360 have hdmi now, not realy worth changing for.
    if you realy want hd movie samsung have blu ray player for cheap now and as xtravision only do blu ray might be worth it

also trade in value is bad ,360 worth more than.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DJW7

Anyone else got any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

i upgraded. there was a bundle deal going in gamestop a few months back, so i traded in my old 360 and some games and gave them €100 or so for the swap. 2 new release games were included in the bundle too so it worked out a good deal. the main reason for the swap was that i wanted to get a newer xbox, incase my other one died on me. plus the elite seems much quieter in comparison...

worked out well in the end and I have a bigger hard drive now too. so that will be handy for storing the xbox origionals and movies (and tv shows whenever they appear) and stuff.

not bad for €100 or so and saying bye bye to my old 360 and some games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i traded in on monday.

this is the deal.

Xbox elite deal game stop.

I decided to up grade to the elite, I have had a few rings from my premium and was thinking its only a matter of time.

game stop are doing a great offer.

504 e get you an Xbox Elite 5 games & extra wireless controller.
    (halo 3, viva piñata, blue dragon, king kong & froza)

I traded back in the games except froza.

So I basically got the elite extra controller & froza for 150!

The trade in value for the premium Xbox is 260.

Great Value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

i traded in on monday.

this is the deal.

I decided to up grade to the elite, I have had a few rings from my premium and was thinking its only a matter of time.

game stop are doing a great offer.

504 e get you an Xbox Elite 5 games & extra wireless controller.
    (halo 3, viva piñata, blue dragon, king kong & froza)

I traded back in the games except froza.

So I basically got the elite extra controller & froza for 150!

The trade in value for the premium Xbox is 260.

Great Value

im also thinking of getting the elite for the bigger hard disk and the hdmi as i have a full hd tv.emailed gamestop last week and they said it would cost me E200 to change from an xbox premium.wouldnt be interested in any of them games or the extra controller as i already have them so it would work out cheaper if i was to do this.but i didnt know that they would let you trade in the games that were included in the deal for the elite?also might be a stupid question but when your trading in your old system,do you have to have the box with the manuals and all or do you just give them your old xbox without the cables?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

they let me trade in the games on the spot.. they also converted over all my data from my old hard drisk. (that took about 40 min)

some game stops wont do anything like that for you.
    clare hall gamestop is where i did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

thats cool i didnt realise you could keep your existing info on the current hard disk.thanks for the info

• Advertisement
Advertisement