Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown (wholemeal??) baguette's

• 17-12-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I mostly eat baguette's for lunch and until recently when I discovered how much sugar and crap is in these i decided to change to what I think is a brown wholemeal baguette I get these in the canteen in work but no that works there knows that they're bar "brown baguette"

so with this limited half arsed information, in general will these be much better than the white? or would i be better off eating a multi grain brown sandwich?

the problem with a sandwich is it doesn't really hit the spot and fill me i always feel hungry after it where the baguette fills me nicely for a few hours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

tbh, wheat in general is pretty bad. Brown bread is brown bread, it's better than white (increased complex fibre slows digestion, less of a sugar blast to the blood and hence a lower but broader insulin spike). But the difference between different types of brown bread is much of a muchness, once they're fresh baked, one's not saltier etc.

But still it's grain, even worse it's wheat; with all its very badly absorbed minerals, lectins, empty high glycemic load calories, gluten and phytic acid (nasty stuff). IMO you're better off cutting out the bread altogether, energy better spent than worrying what type of brown bread you're eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the problem with a sandwich is it doesn't really hit the spot and fill me i always feel hungry after it where the baguette fills me nicely for a few hours
    Yeah, a baguette has far more wieght & caloires than 2 slices of bread.

Bread packs a lot of caloires and many are oblivious to this. A burger bun usually has more caloires than the burger meat.

Use iceberg lettuce as wraps instead. Or at least weigh your baguette to see how much you are really eating. At a guess I would say it alone is 400-600kcal.

Advertisement